Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trumps formal nomination kicked off with Sikh prayer
Trumps formal nomination kicked off with Sikh prayer
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-po...story.html

Just sort of curious what people think about this. Seems to me that Trump's supporters are the kind of people who might mistake Sikhs for Muslims, like when a Sikh temple got shot up, or after 9/11 when there was a large amount of violence against Sikhs. Especially ironic since Sikhs have traditionally been persecuted by Muslims in India and Pakistan.

Also a Sikh criticism of Trump.

Quote: As a Sikh, I hate to criticize anyone for leading a group of people in Ardaas (Sikh prayer) but I feel the need to call out Sikhs who allow our religion to be paraded as a token of the “diversity” of a Republican Party that is cosigning the nomination of Donald Trump.
Ideally, religion and politics would not intersect. But Sikh theology and history have taught me that such a barrier never truly exists. From the reign of the Mughal Empire to Indira Gandhi, politics has reared its ugly head into our right to practice Sikhi freely time and time again. The Sikhs who we celebrate with pride as the most devout and greatest among us did not turn a blind eye to the trajectory of history and politics, they used it to inform their journey as Sikhs and empower the Panth.
The Republican Party of 2016 has just nominated Donald Trump, a man who has used his platform to disgrace a sardar and call his dastar “one of those hats”. He did not see him merely as a protestor; he saw him as a Sikh and proceeded to ridicule an article of his faith in front of a crowd of thousands because of it. He has also mocked individuals with physical disabilities. If Sikhi has taught me anything, it is to respect the most vulnerable among us. And although our history with Muslims remains mired in conflict and misunderstanding, in the United States we must realize that our legacies and interests are intertwined. I don’t think I need to say much more than has already been said about Donald Trump and his views and policy proposals regarding our Muslim brethren.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1058 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Does anyone understand Trumps base? Atomic Lava 72 6473 June 13, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Zepp
  Theresa May seen off the coast of Blackpool Cod 0 329 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Cod
  Will Trump be Ambushed for 2020 Nomination? Yonadav 19 2250 January 22, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Trumps press conference....eek! Dancefortwo 14 898 September 27, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
Shocked Do you think Trump will be arrested or kicked out of the White House soon? WinterHold 32 3842 July 25, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: John V
  Realistically can anything be done regarding Trumps nomination? GODZILLA 22 2372 July 11, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Propheting off dead kids. Gawdzilla Sama 15 1338 May 23, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Yeah...Trumps bigotry isn't hurting us at all GODZILLA 15 2275 May 20, 2018 at 8:08 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  This Will Piss Off Sessions Minimalist 0 382 May 14, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist