Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How i became atheist
How i became atheist
Hi everyone,

i am new member in this forum, and i am so glad i found such great community.So first of all, how i become atheist.Well, as a lot of you guys i was born in christian family.Since i was a child my parents always on sundays tooked me to the church.I wasn't very religious but still i believed in god, and that's i was putted on this planet because god wanted me to live.I was always intrested in history and science, and i always tried to seek knowledge.And then i accidently read a book ,,beyond belief" by A.L De Silva.This book criticized christianity, and compared it to buddhism.I was very intrigued by the book, it destroyed my old beliefs about god.That god wasn't that good as it was depicted in movies, and how people talked about him.At first when i read it i could't believe why i never questioned my beliefs.One question lead to another, and i realised that religion is man made, god is man made.Before my conversion to atheism, i asked my parents, grandparents and they all said i was wrong, and i even saw that they afraid to question their belief, they were afraid of even thought of it.And soon they started to ignore me.

Am i not gonna lie at first i was afraid too.At first i was like yeah there may be false things in bible but i still think that supernatural being exists.I was also afraid that my thoughts of disbelief will be punishable by eternity in purgatory. (thought crime Tongue) I calmed myself by saying that i am agnostic.But then i discovered about one man called Christopher Hitchens.I was stunned in his excellent arguments that god never existed, it  always was man made thing.That god was like north korean dicatator, always watching you, following you, and punishing  for your bad deeds.

I started to realise people always wanted explanation about everythin even if it was bad explanation, it is better than none.My relatives, and parents most of them call themselves christians but majority of them haven't even read the bible.Don't get me wrong i love them very much, but in my opinion and many other brilliant people opinion (Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris) those beliefs are false.And those who believe in them are ignorant.

So if you read this far thank you very much, it was crazy journey for me but i still have to learn more(i am only 19).Life is much more beautiful now, as Christopher Hitchens putted it :“Take the risk of thinking for yourself , much more happiness , truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way ..”
If you think your afterlife will be better than your current life, you're not really living.You're just waiting to die.
RE: How i became atheist
Welcome aboard.

Thank you for sharing.
Dying to live, living to die.
Believer strive for pure "batman" epicness, a life full of misery for the "higher goal". Its hard to "eat" fear of hell to abandon pleasure and strive to become unnaturally more caring.
Hi Harty!
Welcome to this corner of sanity.

Nice story you got there.... I only learned about the Hitch a couple years ago... having realized that people were seemingly wrong about this god thing way back when I was 10... but I remained silent about it for years, as I thought I was the only sane person in the world! Tongue
Welcome.

Please tell me your first name is Laurel. hehehe
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome aboard.
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story.
Hi Torin!
You went down the same road to atheism that I did. I picked up a book by accident - Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The foreword was written by Christopher Hitchens. I read more of his writings and here I am too.

Welcome! Smile
Welcome!

(August 10, 2016 at 6:12 pm)Torin Wrote: Don't get me wrong i love them very much, but in my opinion and many other brilliant people opinion (Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris) those beliefs are false.And those who believe in them are ignorant.

It's actually not that simple. People believe in different things, especially religion, for a variety of different reasons, and you'll find that even some of the most brilliant people are capable of believing in nonsense. There's a good book called "The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer that does a good job of covering how our brains can be easily fooled.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Hello, welcome!

Thanks for telling us your story, that's really interesting. You've done very well to fight out of it at such a young age.

Indeed, theism is not necessarily ignorance. There's all sorts of reasons that even intelligent and reasonable people are able to compartmentalise well enough to hold irrational beliefs. And there's the extremely strong emotional pull of indoctrination, which demands the brain defend it at all costs and make rationalisations.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The only reason I became Mormon was because I snuck a taste of "Funeral Potatoes!" 😁 HankMoody316 10 1752 November 8, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I recently became an Atheist Twisted 19 2881 May 2, 2015 at 5:56 am
Last Post: pocaracas
Big Grin Hello! (or, How I Became an Atheist) simplychris 3 1135 May 12, 2011 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Napoléon