Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if christianity never existed ?
What if christianity never existed ?
Hello guys and girls Smile

I want to ask your opinion on the following question: ,,What if christianity never existed?" please give arguments for your opinion.

I believe that even if islam and other religions existed, i think that humanity would be much more advanced in science and in other areas.The scientific discoveries and new ideas would't been surppressed, the term ,,The Dark ages" would never have existed.I don't want to offend christian folk ,but your religion in the past done some bad stuff, and it isn't your fault, but please be open minded, and try to answer this question sincerely.

Everyone have a nice day
If you think your afterlife will be better than your current life, you're not really living.You're just waiting to die.
RE: What if christianity never existed ?
It's hard to see where islam could have come from without xtianity.  That's a complex issue and drives the muslims off the fucking wall.  The Roman world was highly tolerant of other religions so the question really boils down to what would have happened when the Roman Empire fell.

Would some future conqueror have had the idea to use religion as some sort of unifying force?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Certainly without jesusism around there would have been no model for it.
(August 29, 2016 at 11:20 am)Torin Wrote: Hello guys and girls Smile

I want to ask your opinion on the following question: ,,What if christianity never existed?" please give arguments for your opinion.

I believe that even if islam and other religions existed, i think that humanity would be much more advanced in science and in other areas.The scientific discoveries and new ideas would't been surppressed, the term ,,The Dark ages" would never have existed.I don't want to offend christian folk ,but your religion in the past done some bad stuff, and it isn't your fault, but please be open minded, and try to answer this question sincerely.

Everyone have a nice day

What if historical questions only lead to different forks without any conclusive answers. It's only that the decline of West Rome, which more or less influenced the classic and early medieval world, was down to quite a number of factors. Christianity only being one of them. The more important factor are the rather uneducated people coming in during the migration of peoples.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 29, 2016 at 11:20 am)Torin Wrote: Hello guys and girls Smile

Everyone have a nice day

And you are basing this on? Do you think Islam would have had an Islamic version of Carl Linnaeus for distinguishing certain taxa? Do you think Islam would have had an Islamic version of Newton or Einstein, Hawking, or how about Pingala and the binary system that all modern computers use? Again, it is all hypothetical, but considering how  they are so fixed with their beliefs, I don't think they would have since, I believe (I think) that Islam is the only religion where someone cannot leave unless they want to die because they committed a crime of apostasy. Once Science became established, it helped people think more and be more curious about what is around them. This curiousity has advanced Science a great deal, because it gets people to experiment, try out different hypotheses, different methods. Sorry to say that if the world had Islam as a religion for 2,000 years, I don't think progress would have been made and it would have made atheism impossible. In fact, under Islam I am sure that most, if not all of us here on this forum would no longer exist.
I like what abaris said: the "what if" questions are pretty much useless.  You can't prove what would have happened if you remove one piece of history.  
Considering the mindset of the times, though . . . it's very possible that SOME religion would have taken hold and taken over without the xtians and Constantine. Every tribe had its own religion.  Since the Romans did not force religion on most of their conquests until the xtian virus took hold, then something probably would have sprung up to do the job in its place.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
If christianity didn't exist, some other bs would take it's place. As there is ignorance, religion will exist in one form or another.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

It's just an exercise in logical thinking.

It's a bit more complicated than "What if Napoleon had won at Waterloo?" but it can still be a fun mental exercise.
What if the sky was made of whipped cream?
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(August 29, 2016 at 12:58 pm)Jesster Wrote: What if the sky was made of whipped cream?

What if there was no sky?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 29, 2016 at 1:02 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(August 29, 2016 at 12:58 pm)Jesster Wrote: What if the sky was made of whipped cream?

What if there was no sky?

[Image: XWOuu8G.gif]
I don't believe you. Get over it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3680 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2512 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Those who never believed in a God Der/die AtheistIn 28 5155 July 30, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Atheists who have never read common atheist literature ComradeMeow 68 9826 March 2, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Never Grow Tired Rhondazvous 12 2732 May 22, 2015 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  It is never Ok, OP/ED Brian37 24 5142 February 15, 2015 at 5:51 am
Last Post: jesus_wept
  Why do never-theists come to atheist forums? watchamadoodle 26 6679 January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  A thought never had BlackSwordsman 28 6450 May 18, 2014 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  15 things to NEVER say to an atheist Napoléon 22 8561 January 22, 2014 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Mystical
  15 things to never say to an atheist Nightfoot92 12 3780 September 16, 2013 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Simsim