Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YHWH's regret
YHWH's regret
According to the Biblical version of the Mesopotamian flood narrative, YHWH is described as being capable of experiencing regret for his own actions.

Since the wide variety of all human thought and behavior could practically be charted as a continuous gradient, rather than "all good or all bad," does it make sense that this god, when tasked with the even more difficult duty of judging people eternally for their finite *cough*crimes*cough* might ever regret his decision to save one person from eternal punishment, but not another?

...or might his selection process just be a continuation of his laziness from the Noah's Ark story.  "Alright listen up, sinners, you 144,000 can stay, but everyone else GTFO.  Oh, that was fun.  Don't you guy's just love me so much?  Angel You'd better say yes, medamnit!!! Angel "
If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
RE: YHWH's regret
Hmm.

"Regret" is an odd emotion for an entity capable of seeing the big (well, biggest, obviously) picture.

Interesting to contemplate how He might have inspired that to have been written about Himself. Like, how could the thought arise in the first place?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

"Boy, I really wish I wasn't going to do that.................... oh well"

Let there be light!
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Also, this is his own propaganda. About himself. And he still manages to come off as an incompetent fool not worthy of the powers he somehow stumbled across.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
"Regret" certainly implies "mistake".

(October 3, 2016 at 2:34 am)robvalue Wrote: Also, this is his own propaganda. About himself. And he still manages to come off as an incompetent fool not worthy of the powers he somehow stumbled across.

But you make that sound like a bad thing.  Isn't being bellicose, self-absorbed and indifferent to the suffering of real people pretty much business as usual amongst the godly class?
(October 3, 2016 at 4:30 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "Regret" certainly implies "mistake".

https://youtu.be/Q3Kvu6Kgp88
(October 3, 2016 at 4:43 am)Whateverist Wrote:
(October 3, 2016 at 2:34 am)robvalue Wrote: Also, this is his own propaganda. About himself. And he still manages to come off as an incompetent fool not worthy of the powers he somehow stumbled across.

But you make that sound like a bad thing.  Isn't being bellicose, self-absorbed and indifferent to the suffering of real people pretty much business as usual amongst the godly class?

Yeah, good point.

I'd have thought it would put people off a little. Guess not! It's so rare I hear of a believer who isn't an adherent.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Most fundy xtians just have a suck-up disposition toward despots.