Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ask The Kernel
Ask The Kernel
These 'Ask a' threads are pretty interesting and cool.  I figured I'd give it a shot.  If you're interested, then please, ask away.

RE: Ask The Kernel
Isn't the Kernel, like.. the set of values that get mapped to zero or something? It's been a long time since I've done this stuff.

Thinking

What brought you to this forum in particular, and how does it compare to any others you may have been to?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
What's your favorite TNG episode?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Robvalue Wrote:Isn't the Kernel, like.. the set of values that get mapped to zero or something? It's been a long time since I've done this stuff.

Yes sir.  In a linear transformation (functions that preserve the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication) with form T: V→W, the kernel is the set of all
vectors v in V (the domain of T) that get mapped to zero in W (the co-domain of T) .  Put another way, the kernel is simply T(v)=0.  In addition, the Kernel is equivalent to the solution space Ax=0 or the null space of matrix A.  I definitely enjoyed the concept of the kernel.

Source
Larson and Falvo, Elementary Linear Algebra. 2009, Houghton and Mifflin Harcourt Publishing company.

Robvalue Wrote:What brought you to this forum in particular, and how does it compare to any others you may have been to?

Regarding my atheism, I had never really paid it much mind or thought.  However, after watching various debates between William Lane Craig and atheists and other videos with Niel Degrasse Tyson, David Silverman, and Cara Santa Maria (etc.), I started to get more curious in hearing what other atheists had to say.  Hence, I began searching for atheist forums. 

Now, I actually joined the American Humanist Association; however, their forums are somewhat inactive and I was looking for a more active online community. Thus, I eventually stumbled upon this site a month ago and observed how active and interesting it was.  

Regarding other forums, besides the AHA forum and this one, the other forum that I belonged to was the American Mensa forum (many of the debates I see going on here remind me of that forum). Now, in terms of intelligence, curiosity, creativity, and thoughtfulness, I'd say that AF beats the American Mensa forum hands down.  Hence, AF is bar-none the most unique online community that I've encountered.  I'm glad that I had the good fortune of stumbling across it and joining.

Alex K Wrote:What's your favorite TNG episode?

There are so many, but if I had to choose one, then I'd say 'Elementary, Dear Data'.  I definitely enjoyed Professor Moriarty's commentary and articulate prose.

Do you like dubstep?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I can't stress enough that you don't have to answer every single question. They are a lot. Just choose any which one(s) you prefer.

Is your online(and RL) persona a little fake, or is this genuinely how you are?

Do you find that flattery gets you places?

Do you act more according to a predetermined strategy when interacting with people or on instinct?

Would you call yourself a smart individual? What were you doing on Mensa? Are you a part of that group? What's your IQ?

What are your plans for later in life? Any career changes, whether lateral or otherwise?

Do you see any family in your future(do you have one now)?

Are you single?

Are you relatively young or old?

What are your best assets - no one will fault you for answering this candidly! - ?

Do you plan to post any pics?

Do you plan to be more active on this forum?

Can you tell us your impression of some members here so far - you can mention anyone you like - ? Or of the people in general, if you prefer.

What is your favorite philosopher and why?

What are you reading right now?
paulpablo Wrote:Do you like dubstep?

I must admit that I did not know who dubstep was prior to your question.  However, I looked them up on youtube and I must say that they are quite awesome: I like their soundSmile

Excited Penguin Wrote:I can't stress enough that you don't have to answer every single question. They are a lot. Just choose any which one(s) you prefer.

Thank you for your interest, Excited Penguin.  I'll will answer only a few, as I must get to work soon.  

Excited Penguin Wrote:Is your online(and RL) persona a little fake, or is this genuinely how you are?

I'm glad that you asked this.  This is genuinely how I am: I have concluded that since peacemaking is a part of who I am, then I must ultimately exhibit this via my behavior and actions. However, you must ultimately judge my character and persona for yourself.  If you find that I'm consistently polite, gentlemanly, and peaceful, then this is probably good evidence supporting my claim.  However, if I exhibit a pattern of actions contradicting what I claim to stand for, then this would be evidence that I'm claiming to be one thing while actually being another.

Excited Penguin Wrote:Do you find that flattery gets you places?

I do not like flattery: IMO, it comes off as trying to improve our image to others, rather than genuinely showing an interest, concern, and appreciation for their contributions, talents, and abilities.  If I have come off as a flatterer (could you cite some specific instances), then let me apologize now, as that is the last thing I wanted to do. 

Excited Penguin Wrote:Would you call yourself a smart individual? What were you doing on Mensa? Are you a part of that group? What's your IQ?

I would not consider myself a smart individual, because I'm not even sure what intelligence actually is.  Regarding Mensa, I joined that group in 2006, during my junior year of college (I'm actually a life member, and I repeat, you do not have to be a genius in order to be a mensa member.  This is a misconception: all you need to become a member is curiosity and an interest in problem solving/puzzles).  Regarding my IQ, I will simply say that it was high enough to get me into American Mensa.  To be completely honest, IQ means very little to me; IMO, our intelligence (whatever that is) and genius will ultimately show through our actions and contributions.

Excited Penguin Wrote:Are you relatively young or old?

I'm 31.  However, I apparently look young (I've heard it all) for my age and some people have been taken aback when I reveal my age to them.

(October 6, 2016 at 12:52 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:
paulpablo Wrote:Do you like dubstep?

I must admit that I did not know who dubstep was prior to your question.  However, I looked them up on youtube and I must say that they are quite awesome: I like their soundSmile

Excited Penguin Wrote:I can't stress enough that you don't have to answer every single question. They are a lot. Just choose any which one(s) you prefer.

Thank you for your interest, Excited Penguin.  I'll will answer only a few, as I must get to work soon.  

Excited Penguin Wrote:Is your online(and RL) persona a little fake, or is this genuinely how you are?

I'm glad that you asked this.  This is genuinely how I am: I have concluded that since peacemaking is a part of who I am, then I must ultimately exhibit this via my behavior and actions. However, you must ultimately judge my character and persona for yourself.  If you find that I'm consistently polite, gentlemanly, and peaceful, then this is probably good evidence supporting my claim.  However, if I exhibit a pattern of actions contradicting what I claim to stand for, then this would be evidence that I'm claiming to be one thing while actually being another.

Excited Penguin Wrote:Do you find that flattery gets you places?

I do not like flattery: IMO, it comes off as trying to improve our image to others, rather than genuinely showing an interest, concern, and appreciation for their contributions, talents, and abilities.  If I have come off as a flatterer (could you cite some specific instances), then let me apologize now, as that is the last thing I wanted to do. 

Excited Penguin Wrote:Would you call yourself a smart individual? What were you doing on Mensa? Are you a part of that group? What's your IQ?

I would not consider myself a smart individual, because I'm not even sure what intelligence actually is.  Regarding Mensa, I joined that group in 2006, during my junior year of college (I'm actually a life member, and I repeat, you do not have to be a genius in order to be a mensa member.  This is a misconception: all you need to become a member is curiosity and an interest in problem solving/puzzles).  Regarding my IQ, I will simply say that it was high enough to get me into American Mensa.  To be completely honest, IQ means very little to me; IMO, our intelligence (whatever that is) and genius will ultimately show through our actions and contributions.

Excited Penguin Wrote:Are you relatively young or old?

I'm 31.  However, I apparently look young (I've heard it all) for my age and some people have been taken aback when I reveal my age to them.

Thank you for your wonderful replies. I'm very sure you mean it when you give such intellectual praise to this forum.

Smile
(October 6, 2016 at 4:08 am)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: These 'Ask a' threads are pretty interesting and cool.  I figured I'd give it a shot.  If you're interested, then please, ask away.

What do you like most about Math?
Do you have any advice on how to significantly improve problem solving skills in mathematics? I feel as if my problem solving skills in mathematics aren't good enough, is practice actually enough to improve, are there methods, or the most common question, is it mostly innate?

When I stumble upon problem solving tasks in mathematics one too many times I can't figure out how to solve it, and need it explained to me in order to solve it in the future. I don't like that dependency. It can be quite frustrating when one is aiming for high goals.