Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins is in audiobook form on youtube. I am enjoying it currently. It makes me mad at my family for raising me catholic and then evangelical. But It makes me feel better that I know how deluded they still are and I am not.
Czechlervitz30
RE: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
It's an amusing light read for someone like me who hasn't suffered from religion too much... I can see how it would make you angry...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I was reading The God Delusion when I was on holidays in Vanuatu.
My ex and I took a plane to Tanna Island to see an active volcano and I came across Dawkins talking about the John Frum cult.
Turns out they have a weekly celebration feast so we went along.
We did some dancing (bouncing), I got to play with a bow and arrow (I was shit at it), ate some weird nuts and berries, nibbled on cooked bat wings.
Things went downhill when I shared my Kava drink with the missus, apparently it's frowned upon for women to drink it on Tanna.
We were politely asked to leave and our guide drove us home.
On the way home (we were in the back of a truck) a bat shit all over us. :-)
I bought 5 of those books back in the day and gave 4 away to my family.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I enjoyed reading your guys' replies. Im glad I'm moving on from the delusional beliefs of my family. I want to do it in a calm fashion. I live in rural america, I think you cannot appreciate that fact unless you lived it yourself.
Czechlervitz30
If you like TGD, check out God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, from Hitchens.

Yes, both will make you feel better about leaving that silly shit behind.

After you absorb them take on Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus" and Israel Finkelstein's "The Bible Unearthed."
(October 8, 2016 at 5:53 am)Czechlervitz29 Wrote: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins is in audiobook form on youtube. I am enjoying it currently. It makes me mad at my family for raising me catholic and then evangelical. But It makes me feel better that I know how deluded they still are and I am not.

I loved The God Delusion, also, but Richard sometimes comes across as being "angry'".  Of course, he has a right to be, but that persona just gives his critics something to criticize.  Finally, Dawkins needs to stop contradicting himself.  Sometime ago he said that a "respectable case" (or something like that) can be made for deism but not for theism.  However, in TGD, he says that deism is "scarcely more probable" than theism.
(October 9, 2016 at 11:04 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(October 8, 2016 at 5:53 am)Czechlervitz29 Wrote: The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins is in audiobook form on youtube. I am enjoying it currently. It makes me mad at my family for raising me catholic and then evangelical. But It makes me feel better that I know how deluded they still are and I am not.

I loved The God Delusion, also, but Richard sometimes comes across as being "angry'".  Of course, he has a right to be, but that persona just gives his critics something to criticize.  Finally, Dawkins needs to stop contradicting himself.  Sometime ago he said that a "respectable case" (or something like that) can be made for deism but not for theism.  However, in TGD, he says that deism is "scarcely more probable" than theism.

he might be more angry if he actually grew up in rural america like me. I might become a little annoying about my rural american heritage until i find some other person who can relate, please forgive me.
Czechlervitz30
When you become a more serious, full time atheist and graduate to anti-theist and road scholar, check out God is Not Great by Hitchens, one of the best books out there.
If the hypothetical idea of an afterlife means more to you than the objectively true reality we all share, then you deserve no respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 467 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Richard Dawkins prefers church bells to "aggressive-sounding Allahu Akbar" Alexmahone 12 1236 July 20, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19237 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Richard Carrier - The Hero Savior Analogy Minimalist 135 19316 October 4, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dawkins is Anti-Semitic ComradeMeow 14 3872 July 8, 2015 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19387 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Richard Dawkins Dies... Broseph Ballin 8 2059 August 15, 2014 at 2:20 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Christians choose delusion Foxaèr 64 9542 May 14, 2014 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Amazing interview with Richard Dawkins and George Coyne Freedom of thought 2 1782 April 21, 2014 at 4:56 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Delusion The Reality Salesman01 7 2181 October 28, 2013 at 10:53 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01