Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 banned from US flights
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 banned from US flights
http://news.sky.com/story/samsung-galaxy...s-10617478

Quote:Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones have been banned from all planes in the US following reports of the devices catching fire.

The order from the country's Transportation Department bars owners from carrying on the phones or taking them in baggage during flights from 5pm UK time on Saturday.

It warned that people who packed the devices in checked luggage raised the risk of "a catastrophic incident", and passengers caught attempting to bring them on a plane could be fined or have them confiscated.

Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said: "We recognise that banning these phones from airlines will inconvenience some passengers, but the safety of all those aboard an aircraft must take priority.

"We are taking this additional step because even one fire incident inflight poses a high risk of severe personal injury and puts many lives at risk."
RE: Samsung Galaxy Note 7 banned from US flights
If I were flying any time soon, I wouldn't put much trust in a ban on carrying the phones on planes. A number of people are still using the phones and people go crazy - like apeshit - if they think they're going to be separated from their phones.
"It won't happen to me."

I heard on the news today that 3 US airlines are putting fire suppression bags on their planes in case a phone starts a fire. I think all airlines should do that.
(October 14, 2016 at 9:21 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: If I were flying any time soon, I wouldn't put much trust in a ban on carrying the phones on planes. A number of people are still using the phones and people go crazy - like apeshit - if they think they're going to be separated from their phones.
"It won't happen to me."

I heard on the news today that 3 US airlines are putting fire suppression bags on their planes in case a phone starts a fire. I think all airlines should do that.

Bold is mine.

Indeed. I am so happy that I can actually leave my telephone for hours on end, even a day without touching it. If you think about it, what you are describing is clearly a sympton of a technological drug that people need. We can go on about the addiction to hashish, cocaine, heroin, Cigarettes or alcohol, or even gambling, but the numbers are relatively small compared to those who are addicted to their telephones. For example, I only need to look at my watch ever so often, but someone with a telephone needs to look at it every 2 minutes to remind themselves of the time. As far as social communication is concerned (and I am not saying all mothers or fathers), but a large majority of parents now are using their telephone more than they are interacting with their baby, which could possibly be construed as neglect, when a mothers/fathers voice is important. Oh well, we will have to see in the next 20 or so years as to how the next generation of babies will have grown up.
I wouldn't take my phone in a plane trip. What happened to it, if the plane crashed?
I bet the terrorists of all nations are busy laying their hands on that piece of crap by now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 15, 2016 at 6:40 am)abaris Wrote: I bet the terrorists of all nations are busy laying their hands on that piece of crap by now.

I have an S4 and its almost 3 year old and works great, albeit the battery performance has been decaying slowly. These recent models show alot of flaws. Also, was pressurized conditions even considered in design?
(October 15, 2016 at 6:40 am)abaris Wrote: I bet the terrorists of all nations are busy laying their hands on that piece of crap by now.

It would be funny if it turns out that it does NOT catch fire......the terrorists would be pissed off.
(October 15, 2016 at 6:45 am)LastPoet Wrote:

I have an S4 and its almost 3 year old and works great, albeit the battery performance has been decaying slowly. These recent models show alot of flaws. Also, was pressurized conditions even considered in design?

I am still using an iPhone 3gs and 6 years later, it is still working. As for my other phone, I have a Motorola v3688 black, which still has its original sim card from 1996.
(October 15, 2016 at 6:45 am)LastPoet Wrote: I have an S4 and its almost 3 year old and works great, albeit the battery performance has been decaying slowly. These recent models show alot of flaws. Also, was pressurized conditions even considered in design?

I also had an S4 for about 4 years. It got damaged recently by falling to the ground once too often. Now I got a Huawei.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 15, 2016 at 6:48 am)abaris Wrote:
(October 15, 2016 at 6:45 am)LastPoet Wrote: I have an S4 and its almost 3 year old and works great, albeit the battery performance has been decaying slowly. These recent models show alot of flaws. Also, was pressurized conditions even considered in design?

I also had an S4 for about 4 years. It got damaged recently by falling to the ground once too often. Now I got a Huawei.

Bold is mine.

Nowei?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trans women banned from world chess LinuxGal 37 2858 October 15, 2023 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Vegan couple banned from owning pets Foxaèr 11 997 May 9, 2021 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Face coverings in public banned Foxaèr 10 728 March 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 1662 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Guns banned in Michigan State Capitol. onlinebiker 52 3006 January 13, 2021 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Alan Turing To Be On New £50 Note BrianSoddingBoru4 6 496 July 16, 2019 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: RainShark
  The unvaccinated banned from public. brewer 4 449 March 26, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  UK Gatwick airport flights grounded by drones Duty 22 1377 December 29, 2018 at 6:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Gay conversion therapy' to be banned as part of LGBT equality plan possibletarian 9 1256 July 4, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Daily Heil banned from Wikipedia GUBU 66 9166 February 12, 2017 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Cyberman