Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having a hard time really knowing who to trust in politics anymore
Having a hard time really knowing who to trust in politics anymore
So, biases, biases, biases. I have my opinions on news. News has opinions on politics. I have opinions on politics, my political opinions are based on news. News is the only way I can get my political opinions, unless I somehow have first hand experience. 

So who the hell can I trust in the news? There's always two sides saying the exact opposite thing. I used to be on board the whole hilary clinton is corrupt wagon. I watched this 30 minute video by sargon of akkad today called "hilary clinton must lose", detailing the full extent of DNC conspiracy to get hilary elected, media bias favoring hilary, hilary funding isis, and being funded by saudi arabia, lying pathologically or whatever, the whole stupid email scandal thing.

You know, I've heard all these conspiracy theories, but I just don't feel I'm convinced by them anymore. Unfortunately, I've fallen pray before to trusting people because I agree with them on some core ideologies, and not being skeptical about the stuff they say before. Well now I'm skeptical about the stuff being said in the election, I'm skeptical about the stuff that everyone's saying. Because it seems to me that all the anti hilary stuff comes from right wingers, who are full of lies themselves.

But that's just the thing, it's one of those bipartisan issues. I hear conflicting opinions coming from both sides, I hear democrats talking about this corruption stuff, I hear democrats I also really respect like Bill Maher saying that it's rubbish and it's just the republicans trying to screw clinton over. Okay????? You know, I used to be ardently opposed to hilary, because I would buy into all that anti hilary stuff that people I trust have been saying, even people like secular talk radio and the young turks, who I like, are anti clinton. 

At this point I just gotta say, I don't know anymore. I just really have no fucking clue about anything going on in the world anymore, and I feel like I know so little that all the facts that I know might as well just be air that slips right through my grasp. And can I just say how stressful this election season has been? I've never been so involved, so frustrated, and so emotional over one election season in my life. It's been a terrible journey through joy sapping emotions.
RE: Having a hard time really knowing who to trust in politics anymore
The MSM doesn't lie so much as leaves out key details.
(October 17, 2016 at 9:47 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The MSM doesn't lie so much as leaves out key details.
What is MSM?

Oh, main stream media.
(October 17, 2016 at 9:43 pm)EruptedCarcassBloat Wrote: So, biases, biases, biases. I have my opinions on news. News has opinions on politics. I have opinions on politics, my political opinions are based on news. News is the only way I can get my political opinions, unless I somehow have first hand experience. 

So who the hell can I trust in the news? There's always two sides saying the exact opposite thing. I used to be on board the whole hilary clinton is corrupt wagon. I watched this 30 minute video by sargon of akkad today called "hilary clinton must lose", detailing the full extent of DNC conspiracy to get hilary elected, media bias favoring hilary, hilary funding isis, and being funded by saudi arabia, lying pathologically or whatever, the whole stupid email scandal thing.

You know, I've heard all these conspiracy theories, but I just don't feel I'm convinced by them anymore. Unfortunately, I've fallen pray before to trusting people because I agree with them on some core ideologies, and not being skeptical about the stuff they say before. Well now I'm skeptical about the stuff being said in the election, I'm skeptical about the stuff that everyone's saying. Because it seems to me that all the anti hilary stuff comes from right wingers, who are full of lies themselves.

But that's just the thing, it's one of those bipartisan issues. I hear conflicting opinions coming from both sides, I hear democrats talking about this corruption stuff, I hear democrats I also really respect like Bill Maher saying that it's rubbish and it's just the republicans trying to screw clinton over. Okay????? You know, I used to be ardently opposed to hilary, because I would buy into all that anti hilary stuff that people I trust have been saying, even people like secular talk radio and the young turks, who I like, are anti clinton. 

At this point I just gotta say, I don't know anymore. I just really have no fucking clue about anything going on in the world anymore, and I feel like I know so little that all the facts that I know might as well just be air that slips right through my grasp. And can I just say how stressful this election season has been? I've never been so involved, so frustrated, and so emotional over one election season in my life. It's been a terrible journey through joy sapping emotions.

Oh dear, you must be new at this, you poor lamb.  Big Grin
There's a lot of rubbish out there as far as news and politics go. When trying to figure out what is fact and what is fantasy, consider the source.
Be careful about getting your "facts" from comedians like Bill Maher or shows like The Daily Show. I enjoy watching those too but those aren't necessarily sources that show all points of view on a given topic.
And remember, no matter what happens on election day, it's going to be ok. Our Republic has been through worse than this election.
(October 17, 2016 at 10:49 pm)Tres Leches Wrote:
(October 17, 2016 at 9:43 pm)EruptedCarcassBloat Wrote: So, biases, biases, biases. I have my opinions on news. News has opinions on politics. I have opinions on politics, my political opinions are based on news. News is the only way I can get my political opinions, unless I somehow have first hand experience. 

There's a lot of rubbish out there as far as news and politics go. When trying to figure out what is fact and what is fantasy, consider the source.
Be careful about getting your "facts" from comedians like Bill Maher or shows like The Daily Show. I enjoy watching those too but those aren't necessarily sources that show all points of view on a given topic.
And remember, no matter what happens on election day, it's going to be ok. Our Republic has been through worse than this election.
I really don't appreciate someone condescending me by calling my political points of view mediocre and then follow it with a smiley face to imply that it's all in good humor.
Oh, stop. You're being overly sensitive. You're the one who is lamenting about how overwhelming and confusing it all is. She was just empathizing with you in a good-humored fashion. On top of that, she actually took the time out to offer you some advice in order to help you. You should be thanking her for taking the time to respond, not getting your panties all in a twist.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Simple answer, trust no one. Take everything you read or hear with a grain of salt, try to learn both sides and come to a conclusion yourself.

I actually use an iPad app called News 360 that finds the headlines and then links you all the articles you can find on that topic. It makes it easy to see both sides and compare how each one approaches each piece of news.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 18, 2016 at 8:21 am)EruptedCarcassBloat Wrote: I really don't appreciate someone condescending me by calling my political points of view mediocre and then follow it with a smiley face to imply that it's all in good humor.

She was being nice.
(October 17, 2016 at 10:49 pm)Tres Leches Wrote:

I really don't watch bill maher that often. I watch him sometimes and I love how unapologetically he rips into the right wing, and is unapologetically atheist and progressive. I hear so much anti hilary stuff coming from the right wing. I have heard SO MUCH STUFF about hilary. I've had multiple friends who have had in depth conversations with me about hilary saying she's corrupt, I've listened to video after video of sargon of akkad talking about hilary's corruption, and the 15 minutes of hilary lying video, and followed current news on her from since the beginning of the election on unaccountable amounts of news sources, and was a huge bernie supporter and watched bernie turn into a hilary supporter himself. 

I have my own ideas of why this is happening. I just watched an hour long video on the rubin report this morning with sam harris, someone who I respect and admire dearly. He was saying that the way hilary got into it may not be very admirable, that she's basically in it for herself and she's not very honest and whatever; but looking at her as an alternative to trump she's actually very qualified and most of her issues are actually stuff that we as liberals would agree on. While trump is just, to use my own words, a flaming dumpster fire, with horrible policies and who seems to me to be unfit and mentally unstable to be president of the united states. 

I have my own opinions on this, it's just that there's been so much turmoil throughout the election that after a while it all starts to feel like one big fog. Nothing is concrete, and everything is just this immaterial cloud of contradictory information floating around in front of my face. So yeah it's frustrating to me, because I really do try hard to follow what is happening in this election, and I try desperately to keep myself honest, look at facts without bias and not delude myself, and make sure that I'm being honest with myself when I actually believe some of the things that I say and think. I just don't want to look stupid. That's really fucking difficult this election, trying to not feel like an idiot when you have your political convictions just thrown around like they are. 

Like, I was an ardent anti hilary supporter, now I'm pro hilary. I was literally the person who would go around tearing down hilary and supporting bernie sanders. Now I have to turn around, like people like sam harris and bernie sanders and pretty much every other sensable liberal - I think sam harris said it best, that if there was any other alternative then I wouldn't waste time supporting hilary. but you have to keep your eyes on the bigger picture - and decided that I support hilary because I want trump to lose, and that there's really no good alternatives. And yeah that's one of the things that pisses me off about people who support anti vaxxer jill stein and "the earth is going to be swallowed by the sun so why do we care about global warming" idiots like gary johnson, who would throw their vote away on someone which is basically like giving a vote to trump. Given I don't think it matters much at this point after that devastating video that was leaked of trump. 

(October 18, 2016 at 8:27 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Oh, stop.  You're being overly sensitive.  You're the one who is lamenting about how overwhelming and confusing it all is.  She was just empathizing with you in a good-humored fashion.  On top of that, she actually took the time out to offer you some advice in order to help you.  You should be thanking her for taking the time to respond, not getting your panties all in a twist.
I suppose
(October 17, 2016 at 10:49 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: Be careful about getting your "facts" from comedians like Bill Maher or shows like The Daily Show.

Actually, a study showed that people who got their information from "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" were more knowledgable than people who got their news from other sources.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "In God We Trust" replacement Fake Messiah 16 1465 January 15, 2024 at 4:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2437 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 7063 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 329 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 781 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 494 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1370 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  Why is it so hard to reason with pro-lifers? Dingo 32 2225 October 12, 2020 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Dingo
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 992 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 387 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama