Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jeffrey Jay Lowder VICTIMs of Christian Apologetics video
Jeffrey Jay Lowder VICTIMs of Christian Apologetics video
Great presentation by a guy called Jeffrey Jay Lowder. One of the few atheists who I believe could outdo someone like William Lane Craig in a debate. He is quite elaborate when it comes to analyzing logical arguments, and does it with such a high degree of objectivity, which is a breath of fresh air for me. Video is long and can get boring after a while, but it's one of those times when an atheist actually provides arguments for atheism/naturalism rather than just debunk theistic arguments.

RE: Jeffrey Jay Lowder VICTIMs of Christian Apologetics video
(October 23, 2016 at 7:12 pm)Irrational Wrote: One of the few atheists who I believe could outdo someone like William Lane Craig in a debate.

Everyone having two brain cells to rub together can outdo Craig. In the eyes of Craig's followers noone can outdo Craig. And that's the crux with every debate. They're useless, since every side will claim victory. That's not an exclusive observation on religious debates. It's the same with political ones.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 23, 2016 at 7:18 pm)abaris Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 7:12 pm)Irrational Wrote: One of the few atheists who I believe could outdo someone like William Lane Craig in a debate.

Everyone having two brain cells to rub together can outdo Craig. In the eyes of Craig's followers noone can outdo Craig. And that's the crux with every debate. They're useless, since every side will claim victory. That's not an exclusive observation on religious debates. It's the same with political ones.

The thing with Craig is that he's really good with rhetoric and debate tactics. In terms of logic, he's also good as well, he's no idiot. The problem with him, obviously, is that he is obliged to defend arguments that are not logically sound.
(October 23, 2016 at 7:28 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 7:18 pm)abaris Wrote: Everyone having two brain cells to rub together can outdo Craig. In the eyes of Craig's followers noone can outdo Craig. And that's the crux with every debate. They're useless, since every side will claim victory. That's not an exclusive observation on religious debates. It's the same with political ones.

The thing with Craig is that he's really good with rhetoric and debate tactics. In terms of logic, he's also good as well, he's no idiot. The problem with him, obviously, is that he is obliged to defend arguments that are not logically sound.

Which is very unfortunate as it requires him to use ALL sorts of rhetorical strategy in favor of trying to make the bullshit sound reasonable, breaks my heart seeing rhetoric being misused like that.
(October 26, 2016 at 12:54 am)_Velvet_ Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 7:28 pm)Irrational Wrote: The thing with Craig is that he's really good with rhetoric and debate tactics. In terms of logic, he's also good as well, he's no idiot. The problem with him, obviously, is that he is obliged to defend arguments that are not logically sound.

Which is very unfortunate as it requires him to use ALL sorts of rhetorical strategy in favor of trying to make the bullshit sound reasonable, breaks my heart seeing rhetoric being misused like that.

It's hilarious in a sad way.

Here's another video by Jeffrey Jay Lowder that comprehensively critiques WLC's moral argument for God. Jeffrey is really good at this stuff, I see:

(October 23, 2016 at 7:28 pm)Irrational Wrote: The thing with Craig is that he's really good with rhetoric and debate tactics. In terms of logic, he's also good as well, he's no idiot. The problem with him, obviously, is that he is obliged to defend arguments that are not logically sound.

So? All the rhetoric in the world isn't worth anything if it has no substance to sustain it. It brings me back to my original point. His rhetoric alone won't bring anyone into his camp if it's sustained by obvious bullshit. It just makes his followers all the more cheerful.
(October 26, 2016 at 8:08 am)abaris Wrote:

So? All the rhetoric in the world isn't worth anything if it has no substance to sustain it. It brings me back to my original point. His rhetoric alone won't bring anyone into his camp if it's sustained by obvious bullshit. It just makes his followers all the more cheerful.

He won't convert those with adequate critical thinking skills. That's for sure.
(October 26, 2016 at 8:14 am)Irrational Wrote: He won't convert those with adequate critical thinking skills. That's for sure.

And that's all that matters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15750 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 2986 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Respectable books on apologetics? simpleinterest 35 7527 April 17, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Why I Am No Longer A Creationist/Christian (Youtube video series) Golbez 4 2429 June 24, 2013 at 1:03 am
Last Post: bladevalant546
  Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims? MilesTailsPrower 4 3069 June 23, 2011 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Anymouse
  Roleplaying Apologetics DeistPaladin 14 5295 September 22, 2010 at 12:34 am
Last Post: tackattack