Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats your favourite book and why?
Whats your favourite book and why?
I think the topic title covers it.

Mine is "small gods" by Terry Pratchett.

It works on so many levels and has such a good outlook on life and religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Gods

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Whats your favourite book and why?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy

I have always loved books and films about spies.
"East of Eden" by Steinbeck, hands down.

Characters that you feel you know. Cozy, warm language and scenery. So. Effing. Good.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Never actually read it, but 'Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy' by Newton.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Silmarillion. It's neato!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Read that several times.

I read many books several times, but this one comes to mind first. Another one would be "Look who's back" by Timur Vermes. I read the German original of course, but if you don't know what it's about, you should certainly take a look. And I'm saing that as someone who's usually not into Hitler satire.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Neurophilosophy by Patricia Churchland. It's a one stop shopping center for straight thinking about consciousness and the brain.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 2, 2016 at 5:37 pm)abaris Wrote: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Read that several times.

I read many books several times, but this one comes to mind first. Another one would be "Look who's back" by Timur Vermes. I read the German original of course, but if you don't know what it's about, you should certainly take a look. And I'm saing that as someone who's usually not into Hitler satire.

I'll keep that in mind for when my German gets better  Smile 

I prefer reading works in their original language if I can, naturally. Learning German will open up a whole new literature for me in that way .
(November 2, 2016 at 5:58 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: Learning German will open up a whole new literature for me in that way .

Beginning with the 18th century I would think. Goethe or Schiller in their original should certainly be on your reading list.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 2, 2016 at 5:58 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(November 2, 2016 at 5:37 pm)abaris Wrote: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Read that several times.

I'll keep that in mind for when my German gets better  Smile 

I prefer reading works in their original language if I can, naturally. Learning German will open up a whole new literature for me in that way .

I hear Mein Campf is better in the original German.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your favourite youtube video bobby 33 3390 October 2, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book? ƵenKlassen 1 446 November 19, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Who are your favourite YouTubers? account_inactive 47 8046 April 17, 2017 at 7:55 am
Last Post: SnowLucario
  Malazan Book of the Fallen SofaKingHigh 0 407 November 2, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: SofaKingHigh
  Your favourite song at the moment ApeNotKillApe 0 736 September 12, 2016 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series! Aroura 8 1913 September 13, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Book of Mormon Minimalist 1 800 July 31, 2015 at 1:31 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  question about atheist book nemo123 2 1267 June 16, 2013 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fifty Shades of Grey in contention for the British National Book Award Justtristo 0 1147 November 14, 2012 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Favourite Anime Openings frankiej 32 8952 June 16, 2012 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Tempus