Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Good Article
A Good Article
which will burn the asses of our resident fascists. Fortunately, I don't give a flying fuck about them.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/the-dark...he-inside/

Quote:The dark rigidity of fundamentalist rural America: a view from the inside

Quote:I grew up in rural, Christian, white America. You’d be hard-pressed to find an area in the country that has a higher percentage of Christians or whites. I spent most of the first 24 years of my life deeply embedded in this culture. I religiously (pun intended) attended their Christian services. I worked off and on, on their rural farms. I dated their calico skirted daughters. I camped, hunted, and fished with their sons. I listened to their political rants at the local diner and truck stop. I winced at their racist/bigoted jokes and epithets that were said more out of ignorance than animosity. I have also watched the town I grew up in go from a robust economy with well-kept homes and infrastructure turn into a struggling economy with shuttered businesses, dilapidated homes, and a broken down infrastructure over the past 30 years. The problem isn’t that I don’t understand these people. The problem is they don’t understand themselves, the reasons for their anger/frustrations, and don’t seem to care to know why.
RE: A Good Article
They're angry. When was the last time an angry man made sense or was able to recognize how he got to this state?

They're not going to take personal responsibility for their voting, their ideology.

All they want to do is rob the coasts because they feel entitled to it, even though the coasts were faced with the same choices and thought differently.

It's a shakedown by people in pain and rage. They don't care how much at fault they are.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Ah yes, more head in the sand reasoning with a healthy dose of intolerance from the side of the political spectrum that is constantly extolling the virtues of tolerance and inclusiveness. The observations of the fundamentalists is correct I think, but not all Trump voters match this description.

The author says that there is nothing to be learned through dialogue with people in "fly over country", clueless elitism. The poor rural population has much more in common with the urban poor than people like the author have in common with their urban poor voting base when it comes to what's actually required to effectively lead this country into the future.

My use of poor above should include the impoverished, the working poor and the vast majority of the middle class. Their general needs are the same, but both parties use the varying specific needs based largely on geographic circumstance to drum up fear and the promise of salvation to earn votes.

What is needed is a politician on the national stage that can cut through the tribalistic bullshit and unite the masses based on their shared interests and leave the power brokers on both sides to fuck each other in commiseration.

The idiot that wrote the article is part of the problem.
They have to want to learn instead of hanging on to their simple minded ways.  Remember when Obama said they cling to their bibles and guns?  He was right.

Time for those fuckers to put down their fucking bibles and learn something useful for the real world as it passes them by.
I grew up in a predominantly white, predominantly Christian conservative red state and currently live in one, and most of what the author says is true. Whether or not there's anything to be gained from dialogue with them I'll leave up for debate, but he's quite correct about their belief system. Outsiders, especially liberals, are not trusted.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
They want us to accept their fucking jesus, abandon evolution and arm ourselves to the teeth while home-schooling ourselves to think the world is flat.  The US is already on its way down and all that would do is accelerate the process.
(November 23, 2016 at 2:13 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: They're angry. When was the last time an angry man made sense or was able to recognize how he got to this state?

I'm angry too. Probably about the same things. But never in my wildest dreams I would turn to a snake oil vendor selling fear, resentment and exclusion. That's why I always keep saying, disenfranchised people rallying behind and voting for that kind of scum are the ones begging to be fucked with a sordid lead pipe. The only thing they will get out of that is a second helping of the lead pipe treatment. Sans lube.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
As much as the author claimed to be educated and elite they certainly said a lot of ignorant things. Pointing fingers hardy ever solves problems.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
That's a two-way street, though.
At this point they don't give a shit about any truths. They've had someone give them their scapegoat ("liberals" and Mexicans) to hang their failures on, and that really seems to be the end game for them.

The conservative "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" has been replaced with what conservatives hate the left so much for: blaming. Who sent all the good jobs away?

Liberals.

How?

Global Warming isn't real.

No, how did liberals send jobs away?

Hillary has emails she's hiding.

Maybe, but how did liberals send jobs away?

Trump is gonna make America great again.

Okay, how is Trump going to bring jobs back?

Coal!

Look, there's nothing to fucking "get" here. Thinking, educated people are not out of touch with what's happened to U.S. manufacturing. It's cheaper to make shit overseas so that's what's happened. American business owners and board of directors sent jobs overseas so that Americans could buy more shit for less. And these fucking retards for some unfathomable reason don't understand it.

The only thing to "get" is that these people don't exercise sufficient reasoning to understand the world around them, which makes them thunderously gullible, and leaves them prey to fake internet news, Fox News, and ultimately, a cartoonish conman in Trump that should set off a 5 year-old's bullshit detector. And I will be damned before I meet that horse-shit halfway.

They elected a name-calling fraud fucking ignorant clown who has no experience in political administration in order to get back at those who aren't them. Fuck those goddamn rubes. And when they're worse off four years from now, maybe the two braincells they scraped together to work up their redneck outrage this time around will have created a synapse with a third braincell, which will allow them to make a better decision.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article in the NYT looking at liberal vs conservative polarization Whateverist 16 1576 March 12, 2018 at 2:52 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Article of impeachment has been filed NuclearEnergy 13 3185 July 12, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A good article for understanding what motivates Trumpsters from their point of view Whateverist 15 2214 November 17, 2016 at 4:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Find What is Wrong with This Right Wing Article Shining_Finger 8 2698 November 8, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Troubling Article Minimalist 1 651 July 8, 2015 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  third part of the article series on the cost of the drug war Something completely different 1 1898 March 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Ashendant
  Article on inter-European imigration Something completely different 0 848 February 28, 2013 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander? A Theist 24 7099 December 29, 2012 at 10:54 am
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Great Article Minimalist 6 2044 November 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Interesting Article Minimalist 2 1448 January 25, 2012 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Minimalist