Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fivers aren't suitable for vegetarians, apparently.
Fivers aren't suitable for vegetarians, apparently.
Yes, you read that right and of course some vegetarians and the vegans are kicking up a fuss, as to be expected. They even started a petition for it but the Bank of England has made it clear they have no plans to change it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38144598

Quote:The UK's new fiver has won many fans since it was launched in September.

It's tough. It doesn't tear. You can spill beer on it, put it through the washing machine and it will survive to buy another round.

But one thing it turns out it's not, is fat-free.

Because it turns out the plastic polymer it's made from also contains small amounts of tallow, derived from animal waste products - and some vegetarians are not happy.

Familiar to previous generations as the base for every day staples such as soap and candles, tallow is traditionally derived from beef or mutton (but sometimes pork) at the slaughterhouse or later in the food production process.
RE: Fivers aren't suitable for vegetarians, apparently.
I mean, it's a ridiculous thing to protest because unless these people meticulously scour every product they come into contact with for the barest trace of animal products, then they're hypocrites.

That being said, it kinda seems to me like just another click-baity article.

Quote:Vegans and vegetarians faced with this revelation have taken to social media to voice their concern and over 5,000 people have signed a petition calling for the contents of the notes to be changed.

I mean..you can get 5000 people to sign an (online, no less) petition for anything. They're being ridiculous doofuses, but 5000 ridiculous doofuses in a nation of 64 million isn't anything I'd spend a second caring about.

Still, that's some pretty fucking dope money. It'd be cool if we could get some of that un-tearable waterproof moola in the US too.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Reality isn't suitable for vegans.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
I agree with you FaF, the article is somewhat click-baity but 20,475 people have signed the petition so far. Now like the majority of online petitions, it probably won't change anything but it shows how strongly some feel about it and I figured it was worth posting.
Unless they routinely eat their money they should STFU.
(November 29, 2016 at 12:41 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: Yes, you read that right and of course some vegetarians and the vegans are kicking up a fuss, as to be expected. They even started a petition for it but the Bank of England has made it clear they have no plans to change it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38144598

Quote:The UK's new fiver has won many fans since it was launched in September.

It's tough. It doesn't tear. You can spill beer on it, put it through the washing machine and it will survive to buy another round.

But one thing it turns out it's not, is fat-free.

Because it turns out the plastic polymer it's made from also contains small amounts of tallow, derived from animal waste products - and some vegetarians are not happy.

Familiar to previous generations as the base for every day staples such as soap and candles, tallow is traditionally derived from beef or mutton (but sometimes pork) at the slaughterhouse or later in the food production process.

I volunteer to take all the fivers off their hands.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Silly SJW losers.
Who cares whether there are even people ground into the plastic if you can do this with them

The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 29, 2016 at 3:27 pm)Alex K Wrote: Silly SJW losers.
Who cares whether there are even people ground into the plastic if you can do this with them

Nah, they aren't quite SJWs. Tongue

Cool video though.
Thank god I didn't eat one!
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Wonder how many of them wear leather, drink milk, eat eggs and use the billion other products with ingredients derived from animals (the vegetarians anyway, I'm not even sure what dimensional vibration a lot of vegans are on).

Wonder how many rely on crude oil indirectly as well. That's partially made up of dead animals dontcha know.

People really need to learn how to pick their battles...
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If They Aren't Priviledged Print Them In The Washington Post Minimalist 1 303 June 5, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Apparently We Have Invaded Syria Minimalist 29 6215 January 21, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Apparently This Fuckhead Thinks They Should Be Happy Minimalist 15 3730 September 30, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Apparently they are all crooks Minimalist 1 692 September 30, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Apparently 'Jesus' Was Not The Answer! Minimalist 9 1951 August 30, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Apparently Ethics Laws Are Only for "The Little People" Minimalist 7 2790 July 12, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The Cheeto in Chief apparently wants to rape our national monuments Jackalope 2 811 April 26, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Apparently War Is Too Important to Leave to Reality TV Stars Minimalist 3 887 February 28, 2017 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Oh, Otto, Let's Hope You Aren't Right Again Minimalist 2 936 September 19, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheism apparently is a mental illness in Nigeria Zidneya 4 1413 June 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Chad32