Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Authority
Authority
F*ck authority.  That's one of my mottos.  God is not the boss of me.

Why do you theists allow a god to dictate your life?  To stare at you all day (it's rude to stare)?  To watch you use the bathroom (violation of privacy)?  To sit there and watch you get brutally raped (some father)? 

Why is it okay to you that someone tells you, a fully grown, independent, educated adult, what to do with your life?
RE: Authority
Believe it or not, it can be quite comforting to know there is someone watching over you. A child has that comfort because they know their parents are watching over them, as adults people loose that comfort but they still crave it, especially when they are in trouble.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Quote:Why is it okay to you that someone tells you, a fully grown, independent, educated adult, what to do with your life?

Because.........

[Image: 18581562.jpg]
(December 18, 2016 at 1:30 pm)Athena777 Wrote: F*ck authority.  That's one of my mottos.  God is not the boss of me.

Why do you theists allow a god to dictate your life?  To stare at you all day (it's rude to stare)?  To watch you use the bathroom (violation of privacy)?  To sit there and watch you get brutally raped (some father)? 

Why is it okay to you that someone tells you, a fully grown, independent, educated adult, what to do with your life?

Well, I say "question authority" (in my signature) but I agree completely with what you've said. Smile
Yeah...fuck the fuckin' Man, man. I mean, fuck...it's the Man.
Fuck him!

You got something to eat, man? I'm hungry!
God watches over us because he loves us. He's been loving those people in Aleppo to pieces, lately. He spent two whole years loving those kids with the distended bellies in West Africa. When he can spare the time, he loves that man in your town who's shrieking his life away due to colon cancer, or the Mumbai teenaged girl getting gang raped.

So, don't think of it as spying on you. It's God's pure, sweet love.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: dfade075a1f080fcca6cb4e91b0a00fad8ee8b7e...53046b.jpg]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 18, 2016 at 4:38 pm)Stimbo Wrote: [Image: dfade075a1f080fcca6cb4e91b0a00fad8ee8b7e...53046b.jpg]

Ooops... I installed an extraction fan on that hole...
I think some people want to be told what to do. Told what is right and wrong.

Mind you, indoctrination often attempts to produce this very mindset by making you think you need these things and are lost without them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 18, 2016 at 5:07 pm)robvalue Wrote: I think some people want to be told what to do. Told what is right and wrong.

Mind you, indoctrination often attempts to produce this very mindset by making you think you need these things and are lost without them.

Yes- bolding mine. When I volunteered for the Boy Scouts of America, I was amazed at how many people were willing to just let someone else do the leading and decision making. Lots of sheep. That was new to me, as I hadn't been a member of a large organization before that. Except for the US Navy, but there you have a whole leadership structure, and a chain of command. I didn't really see much sheep-like activity from the sailors, either.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Who would dare question my authority?" Foxaèr 0 596 May 23, 2014 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning vs trusting authority. Mystic 5 2370 March 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda