Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bravery of peaceful belivers.
Bravery of peaceful belivers.
I think, believers are very brave for not giving up by deciding to "poison" the comfort in their current life by following Gods rules. Even if they hope to earn something in return, like eternal and happy life with God, they still need to endure a lot.
RE: Bravery of peaceful belivers.
You should be brave and give me all your money for the not very strong possibility that I will intercede on your behalf and gain you perpetual favor of the one true god whom I have graciously permitted to be imy bitch.
(February 5, 2017 at 9:17 am)purplepurpose Wrote: I think, believers are very brave for not giving up by deciding to "poison" the comfort in their current life with serving to the Gods will to earn "eternal/true" happiness and not simply accept very strong possibility of permanent death.

Or - more likely - they're just too cowardly to face the inevitability of death. And they're gullible and desperate enough to accept whatever pleasant, self-serving fantasy of afterlife is offered to them by local frauds and nutjobs. 

You can try to put a positive spin on irrational behaviors and beliefs, if you like - hey, maybe heroin addicts are "brave" for not giving up on chasing the dragon?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(February 5, 2017 at 9:51 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(February 5, 2017 at 9:17 am)purplepurpose Wrote: I think, believers are very brave for not giving up by deciding to "poison" the comfort in their current life with serving to the Gods will to earn "eternal/true" happiness and not simply accept very strong possibility of permanent death.

Or - more likely - they're just too cowardly to face the inevitability of death. And they're gullible and desperate enough to accept whatever pleasant, self-serving fantasy of afterlife is offered to them by local frauds and nutjobs. 

You can try to put a positive spin on irrational behaviors and beliefs, if you like - hey, maybe heroin addicts are "brave" for not giving up on chasing the dragon?

Why let them know they are cowardly when making them think they are brave allows them to be more easily fleeced?
Its much easier to live as a non believer because there is no extra weight of following the harsh standards or religion. You live and enjoy your life and there is no expectation of "Judgment Day" along with ideas of hells tortures.

It takes courage to use punctuation so that people can understand WTF you're saying.

(February 5, 2017 at 11:07 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Its much easier to live as a non believer [...]

LOL... That's horsesh*t. Even the dumbest people - especially them, in fact - can believe in fantasies. There's nothing difficult about it, particularly if everyone around you believes the same nonsense you do and there's clergy, who tell you what to do and what to think. Non-believers have to actually think about complicated thinkgs, like morality - believers have it all handed on a plate.

This alleged burden of belief you keep blabbering on about is practically non-existent for people who follow large religions. Most of them can still do and think whatever they want, just as long as they lie about it - to themselves and to others. Look at all the a**holes, who claim to love Jesus and his teachings, but at the same time refuse to help people in need. If being religious generally demanded courage, or effort - religions would have died out long time ago.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
You don't choose your beliefs. If you genuinely believe in an afterlife, that isn't brave or cowardly. It's just the fact of the matter. Same with if you don't.

What I consider brave is stopping and taking stock of your beliefs, doing more research, examining the way you came about those beliefs, and so on. It's much more easy and cowardly to bunker down and avoid contact with things that might change your mind.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 5, 2017 at 11:07 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Its much easier to live as a non believer because there is no extra weight of following the harsh standards or religion. You live and enjoy your life and there is no expectation of "Judgment Day" along with ideas of hells tortures.

No belief is the easy way.
They can stop trying to find out the truth because they know it already, they can stop taking responsibility for their actions because it was all gods plan.
Theists tend to live in self supporting clusters of delusion so they will have a network of fellow believers to re-inforce their delusions.
Non-believers may face persecution, especially in the US so belief is easier.

I could go on like this.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yeah, those believers have it really tough.

I mean, such bravery in sticking to their guns regardless of evidence, all so they don't risk getting coal for xmas.

That is what we're talking about, right?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam - the Peaceful Religion: Explained Darwins Disciple 31 3482 August 26, 2018 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do religious folks reconcile violent concepts in "peaceful" Abrahamic religions? AceBoogie 57 10863 April 28, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger