Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is blasphemy blasphemy?
is blasphemy blasphemy?
is blasphemy still blasphemy if the God that is blasphemed does not exist?
Have you found Jesus? If so read "the god dillusion"
RE: is blasphemy blasphemy?
Obviously not.
(September 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm)Watson Wrote: Obviously not.

ok Smile I'll make this a little more complicated

is blasphemy still blasphemy if the God that is blasphemed does not exist but there are people that "know/believe/have faith/etc" that that God exists? (for example, imagine ancient Greece and someone, say a pagan openly denouncing Zeus), (ancient Egypt, a roman calling the God Ra silly)
(September 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm)yuriythebest Wrote: is blasphemy still blasphemy if the God that is blasphemed does not exist?

Asked and answered.

Although I don't believe, I don't know for a fact there is no god. I also refrain from hurting believers I love,such as my devout 84 year old mother.
(September 18, 2010 at 6:45 pm)padraic Wrote: Although I don't believe, I don't know for a fact there is no god. I also refrain from hurting believers I love,such as my devout 84 year old mother.

don't get me wrong, I'm against insulting people/their religions, but the term "blasphemy" is very nebulous and can range from "<religion/deity name> is <swear word>" to simply saying "I do not believe in <religion/deity name> due to lack of evidence". This was more of a hypothetical question that included both those meanings but I do not advocate going around insulting people.

Oh, I also don't know for a fact there is no god - I'm an agnostic atheist and subscribe to the position of weak atheism (I have not seen reasonable/good evidence for the existence of any deity/God/etc or the validation of any religion/supernatural phenomenon)

(September 18, 2010 at 6:33 pm)yuriythebest Wrote:
(September 18, 2010 at 6:24 pm)Watson Wrote: Obviously not.

ok Smile I'll make this a little more complicated

is blasphemy still blasphemy if the God that is blasphemed does not exist but there are people that "know/believe/have faith/etc" that that God exists? (for example, imagine ancient Greece and someone, say a pagan openly denouncing Zeus), (ancient Egypt, a roman calling the God Ra silly)

That depends on the perspective. If the "Blasphemer" doesn't believe in the God being "blasphemed", then "blasphemy" is a fundamentally meaningless word. And besides, any being that is powerful enough to have created the universe shouldn't be thin-skinned enough to punish those who insult him.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
If "God" made all this he can stick up for himself...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blasphemy law in the United States Interaktive 37 3620 February 2, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Yongy50
  International Blasphemy Rights Day! chimp3 29 3464 September 29, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  International Blasphemy Day 2017 chimp3 84 20492 September 14, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  International Blasphemy Day chimp3 153 19632 October 9, 2016 at 4:35 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do you think political correctness is a new cover for blasphemy? TheMessiah 20 5113 June 10, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Blasphemy Day Fromper 42 7129 October 1, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Indonesian man faces 11 years in prison for blasphemy Ziploc Surprise 2 2084 May 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Chaostheosis
  Employee Lounge Blasphemy: Tales of a Coffee Cup thesummerqueen 4 2078 September 20, 2011 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  'Blasphemy is a victimless crime' is utter arrogance ScienceIsTheOnlyLord 140 58220 November 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Cego_Colher
  Happy Blasphemy Day! :D Eilonnwy 47 15161 October 18, 2009 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Dotard