Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employee Lounge Blasphemy: Tales of a Coffee Cup
Employee Lounge Blasphemy: Tales of a Coffee Cup
http://atheists.org/blog/2011/09/19/empl...coffee-cup

I didn't have any hugely noble reason for posting this, other than to show how retarded (yes I said the R word) people can be over small articles of expression or belongings.

I don't necessarily think it's a Bible Belt thing only, either.

But it is why I will hide under the mantle of "judaism" rather than atheism or even "humanistic Jew" in my office - my boss is a devout Christian.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Employee Lounge Blasphemy: Tales of a Coffee Cup
This problem is ever present it seems. Religious people see no problem in displaying their symbols but object to things like the coffee cup.
I wish the religious would just keep their faith to themselves and not show it off to everybody else, hell I find the wearing of crucifixes so annoying, offensive even.
If they must display their belief in the incredible so overtly, then they have no right to take offence at symbols of reason.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I think they get invested because they believe the objects have some sort of power. Seriously.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(September 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I think they get invested because they believe the objects have some sort of power. Seriously.

Agreed, they do have some sort of power....the power to offend other people!!
I am reminded of the quote in God Delusion attributed to a comedian, I think, who speculated whether if Christ had been around when criminals were fried, xtians would be wearing model electric chairs round their necks!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
How easily threatened are some believers; I think it indicates just how strong their faith actually is.

On the other hand,as Darwin famously did not say "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". IE they may also just be bigoted cunts. (a much pithier word than 'retard', and it also has the satisfying quality of being far more offensive)Tiger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blasphemy law in the United States Interaktive 37 3620 February 2, 2020 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Yongy50
  International Blasphemy Rights Day! chimp3 29 3463 September 29, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  International Blasphemy Day 2017 chimp3 84 20484 September 14, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  A Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, and an atheist walk into a coffee shop... Mudhammam 57 12180 November 3, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  International Blasphemy Day chimp3 153 19632 October 9, 2016 at 4:35 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4639 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Do you think political correctness is a new cover for blasphemy? TheMessiah 20 5113 June 10, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Blasphemy Day Fromper 42 7129 October 1, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Indonesian man faces 11 years in prison for blasphemy Ziploc Surprise 2 2084 May 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Chaostheosis
  'Blasphemy is a victimless crime' is utter arrogance ScienceIsTheOnlyLord 140 58207 November 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Cego_Colher