Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you find Blind Patriotism scary
Do you find Blind Patriotism scary
This is honestly one of my biggest pet peeves of all time. I really don't mind taking pride in your country, but I do believe many Americans take it way too far. I recall a news story a few years ago in my home state Arizona. Sort of Dumbfuckistan 2.0 but we're on the verge of turning blue by 2020. This is due to the influx if people from Mexico. But anyways, there was a story about the noise of a nearby Air force base in a part of Phoenix. I proceeded to complain and say it's obnoxious. Someone replied with the following: "IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN MOVE OUT OF THIS COUNTRY!!! THATS THE SOUND OF FREEDOM!!!"

That's just an example I experienced. My favorite is a recent story on how there are some U.S. Troops being deployed in Syria, and I see many Trump supporters trying to use that as a way into guilt people into "standing behind out president". lmao

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Do you find Blind Patriotism scary
Unreasoning devotion to anything worries me.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Blind patriotism? What could possibly go wrong!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If someone has the perspective of thinking their Air Force is a great protector of the country then I can understand why someone would be annoyed at you saying the sound is obnoxious.

It would be like a wife saying her husbands life support machine makes such an annoying bleeping sound.

But that's not to say I would never be able to see it from your perspective either, I don't know how badly situated this base is and perhaps you see the American Air Force as being another tool of violent American oppression against other countries.

My opinion of the topic overall is pretty much what boru said.
But I'm not scared of unreasonable arguments which are just simply words but I'd be potentially scared because unreasonable behaviour of people with unreasonable opinions related to anything can result in violence.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

As an Air Force veteran who has lived on and near Air Force bases before, during, and after my enlistment, I can confirm that the sound of aircraft from those bases is absurdly annoying. Patriotic feelings don't change the volume of jet engines.
'Support your country always and your government when it deserves it.' - Mark Twain

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't find it scary I find it idiotic and depressing.

Brexshit being a perfect example. They may as well have called the campaign "Make Great Britain Great Again".

And their method is apparently by making us into the un-united kingdom.
Any kind of extremism is a big problem, really. It's the source of most conflicts. Two people take different stances, and refuse to budge. Patriotism is a little odd, because it's a way to kind of glorify the government, and people in power always need to be on a short leash. Give an inch, and they'll take a mile.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't find blind patriotism fearful. It's contemptible.

It's often used as a shield by Republicans during war to make dissent politically incorrect (as they would say), and also to use military families as human shields when they are poor leaders.

Trump knows they game. Lightbulb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Az Lawmaker introduces scary bill. Brian37 40 3560 February 1, 2021 at 10:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  what I Find Really Stupid Rhondazvous 24 1787 April 13, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Find out how much you're getting screwed... Jehanne 112 20172 April 11, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What do foreigners think of America's cult like Patriotism? GODZILLA 33 3806 March 23, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Find out what your political ideology is Aegon 32 8409 September 21, 2017 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Guess What Else The WLB Is About To Find Out Is "Complicated." Minimalist 4 1326 August 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Do you think some people take American Patriotism too far GoHalos1993 21 3028 May 30, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Find What is Wrong with This Right Wing Article Shining_Finger 8 2698 November 8, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Ah Corporate Patriotism....Paid For By The Taxpayers...of course! Minimalist 2 967 May 12, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Useful Tea Party idiots shocked to find out they are useful idiots... Ryantology 1 927 December 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: abaris