Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are there different versions of the 10 commandments ?
are there different versions of the 10 commandments ?
there is a video of the late Christopher Hitchens interview by VANITY FAIR magazine (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9weXGtCk7c ).
in the first 30 seconds Hitchens say Moses was a revisionist that issued at least 4 versions of the decalogue (10 commandments) which is mind-blowing !
but what are they ??
No Idea
RE: are there different versions of the 10 commandments ?
There are, IIRC, 313 commandments in the Babble without going into revisions.
(April 14, 2017 at 10:54 am)yampampuza Wrote: there is a video of the late Christopher Hitchens interview by VANITY FAIR magazine (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9weXGtCk7c ).
in the first 30 seconds Hitchens say Moses was a revisionist that issued at least 4 versions of the decalogue (10 commandments) which is mind-blowing !
but what are they ??
No Idea

They aren't any other commandments. What he is referring to is the idea that moses took for older religions and their rules.
(April 14, 2017 at 10:58 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: There are, IIRC, 313 commandments in the Babble without going into revisions.
I thought it was 613, IIRC.

(April 14, 2017 at 11:32 am)Drich Wrote:
(April 14, 2017 at 10:54 am)yampampuza Wrote: there is a video of the late Christopher Hitchens interview by VANITY FAIR magazine (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9weXGtCk7c ).
but what are they ??
No Idea

They aren't any other commandments. What he is referring to is the idea that moses took for older religions and their rules.

Catholics and protestants differ in the commandments.  The graven image one.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

Hitchens is right.  Dripshit, as usual, does not know his ass from his elbow.

http://undergod.procon.org/view.resource...eID=000824

Quote:The 10 Commandments appear in three places in the Bible: in Exodus, chapter 20, in Exodus, chapter 34 and in Deuteronomy, chapter 5:

Quote:a. All three versions differ.
b. No version conveniently lists the commandments from one to ten.
c. Historically, the commandments have been abbreviated to aid memorization, which has led to even greater differences on what to put in and what to leave out.
d. Exodus 34 is the only place where the label "The Ten Commandments" is used in the Bible. The other two listings (Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5) are normally referred to as the Ten Commandments, but the actual text doesn't describe them as such.

I suppose if you care enough you can look them up.  Personally, I don't.
Well, technically, the canonical Ten Commandments have a lot of variations in the ways they're parsed. Wikipedia's article on the Ten comandments lists eight separate versions of the Ten Commandments (though some are just too similar):
  1. Septuagint. No Other Gods/Graven Images separate, "thou Shalt not covet commandments" combined
  2. Philo: Same as Septuagint, except the order for "Thou Shalt Not Kill" and "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery" being reversed.
  3. Samaritan: No Other Gods/Graven Images combined, "thou shalt not covets" combined, with addition to erect commandments on Mt. Gerazim.
  4. Talmud: Same as Septuagint, except No Other Gods/Graven Images" combined and "I am the Lord Thy God" listed as separate commandment, despite not being a commandment.
  5. Augustine: No Other Gods/Graven Images combined. Thou Shalt Not Covet thy Neighbor's Wife is its own commandment.
  6. Catholic: Same as Augustine, except "I am the Lord thy God" included in first commandment.
  7. Lutheran: As Augustine, except "no Graven Images" omitted entirely. Thou Shalt Not Covet thy Neighbor's house is its own commandment.
  8. Protestant: Same as Septuagint, except "I am the Lord thy God" included in first commandment.
but while a lot of the separate parts tend to be mixed in with each other, the actual content tends to be the exact same. The only ones which get omitted entirely are:
  • "I am the Lord Thy God." The Talmud lists this as its own commandment (despite not even being much of a commandment), and the Catholic and Protestant versions put it as part of the First Commandment, and the rest seem to put it as a preamble before the ten commandments proper.
  • The prohibition on Graven images is actually only omitted in Luther's Large Catechism (largely as a response to the iconoclasts who considered ANY image to be a violation; he did not like that); that said, the Catholic Church as well as the Samaritans mesh it in with the "no other Gods" commandment. 
  • The commandment to erect the stones of the commandments on Mt. Gerazim is strictly Samaritan.
It's also worth noting that there are two separate versions of the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:2-13 and Deutoronomy 5:6-17. The differences are trivial at best, either expounding on the Sabbath or using different words to mean "Thou Shalt Not."

But the story doesn't end there: Neither of those two versions are actually called the Ten Commandments. There is, however, a third set that actually is called the Ten Commandments, in Exodus 34:14-26.

1. Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
  2. Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.
  3. Do not make cast idols.
  4. Celebrate the Feast of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Abib, for in that month you came out of Egypt.
  5. The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons. No one is to appear before me empty-handed.
  6.  Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season the harvest you must rest.
  7. Celebrate the Feast of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the turn of the year. Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign LORD, the God of Israel. I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the LORD your God.
  8.  Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Feast remain until morning.
  9. Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God.
  10. Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk.
And then in Verse 27-8: "And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel. And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Quote:Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk.

Now that's important in the 21st century.
(April 14, 2017 at 12:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk.

Now that's important in the 21st century.

This may be why the Israelites decided to latch onto the other set of ten rules that wasn't actually called the Ten Commandments.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Mel Brooks?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm surprised that Mr. super christian Drich doesn't know that the "ten" commandments are mentioned in different versions within the old testament. Never underestimate the blatant ignorance of even the most bible-thumping Christians about their own religion...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Temple’s Seven Tenets Are Morally Superior To Ten Commandments Smedders 0 517 December 29, 2019 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Smedders
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2587 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4892 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  The New 10 Commandments Nihilist Virus 32 6733 June 28, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Elohim and Yahweh are 2 Different Gods Rhondazvous 29 11244 May 17, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Remove Ten Commandments IATIA 28 6617 September 13, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Ten Commandments Mudhammam 22 5380 August 11, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: robvalue
Question Why does the Bible say there are different races of people... Aractus 40 9620 March 5, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  'Drich, which of the millions of different christian denominations goes to Heaven?' Drich 208 38224 January 23, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Blow the 10 Commandments Out Your Ass.... Minimalist 44 8970 August 11, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist