Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity And Peace
Christianity And Peace
I remember that my former religious teacher once told us that violence is never the answer. I've asked her: "And what would you do if someone kidnapped someone close to you and threatened to kill them in a desolated place with no way to contact the authorities?" she answered: "No, if someone kills a person close to you, you shouldn't kill a person close to the murderer. Revenge is not good. There is police, so no need to be violent!".
I gave up, because I knew there is no way with her.
But I kept the arguments for myself.
First of all, she explained to me a totally different situation. I think she couldn't justify nonviolence in my example, so she created a totally different one. Though I might suspect her for too much intelligence.
Second of all, doesn't the police use violence? In fact, forget my example, what about countries under dictators? There are so many countries, including mine (Romania), that used to be under dictators and could only bee freed with violence.
Christianity used to bee very violent. Are they so anti-violence today (or at least claim to be) so that they can make-up for their past?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Christianity And Peace
Christians love to use Jesus as an example of how one should be the pacifist, but theists I have known tend to be some of the most violent people in the world.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
To paraphrase Kurt Vonnegut:

Imagine if the Christians wanted:

"Blessed are the Peacemakers" on the Pentagon.

"Blessed are you who are poor" on the Federal Reserve Bank

"Blessed are the Merciful" on the courthouse steps.

"Blessed are the Meek" on the door to the Oval Office.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

AronRa once quoted a religious group whose main gripe was that they were being oppressed from oppressing others, which is the Christian thing to do!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Those in the Bible belt are not stupid. Just sneaky!

They state that they don't want their kids understanding evolution through the school curriculum.
It's one thing understanding it and rejecting it, it's a whole new level of ignorance to not want to know that which you despise.

Deep down, they must know it's true, and all they're doing is protecting their kids from the truth.
Because Jesus.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
[Image: Oppression+(1).jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:I remember that my former religious teacher once told us that violence is never the answer.

Tell your teacher she is full of shit.

Quote:The peasants have taken upon themselves the burden of three terrible sins against God and man; by this they have merited death in body and soul... they have sworn to be true and faithful, submissive and obedient, to their rulers... now deliberately and violently breaking this oath... they are starting a rebellion, and are violently robbing and plundering monasteries and castles which are not theirs... they have doubly deserved death in body and soul as highwaymen and murderers... they cloak this terrible and horrible sin with the gospel... thus they become the worst blasphemers of God and slanderers of his holy name”

-- Martin Luther
'Anyone who clings to the historically untrue--and thoroughly immoral--doctrine that 'violence never solves anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The Ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more disputes in history than has any other factor, and the contary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.'  - Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Christianity imparted with peace when it incited violence in the name of its god.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
If Jesus had to be violently crucified to accomplish his mission, what exactly is the objection to violence in Christianity since their central doctrine revolves around exactly that? Shouldn't it be celebrated?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The religion of peace LinuxGal 5 658 October 1, 2023 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What Gives You Peace.... ronedee 82 6997 September 29, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: MadJW
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4076 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11537 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 19894 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4567 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10531 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 39889 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Black people and christianity rado84 40 6998 February 1, 2017 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The ignorance of science and the big bang in christianity dyresand 10 2260 May 1, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4