Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts
Thoughts
I came to sharp turn in the road a couple of months ago and haven't posted anything here since then and probably won't for a while.  I have a different outlook on things and have lost some passions I had and gained some others.  I spent 3 1/2 years in this forum defending and expounding on theism and christianity and I don't know that I changed the mind of any atheist.  Hopefully, I convinced some visitors who were on the edge to stay with their faith.  You never really know because there's no feedback.  I know that there's good stuff that comes from the discussion here, but I've lost my desire to continue for now.  I've seen numerous people who have shown up at our church's food distribution or meals and then show up at the worship services down the road.  It seems that actions get people's attention and when they become interested in your faith they come to you. Then they are ready to listen to what you have to say.

I have benefited personally from this forum.  I wanted to get hit with every argument against my faith that is out there and you atheists were all too happy to accommodate me in that regard.  In fact, my butt is still smoking, but I've matured because of it.  I've actually become able to look at issues from different sides.  I can understand why so many atheists left christianity and can understand the way they think.  I now believe in the evolutionary process; it doesn't negate the need for God.  Though I disagree with their sexual morality, I support equal rights for homosexuals because we're all citizens and equal under the law no matter what our faith or lack of it.  I can also understand the anxiety that transsexuals experience day to day.  We don't have to agree on everything in order to come together to create a better society.

I can't say that I like every person that I've come in contact with here, and not everybody likes me, but for the most part we've had civilized and respectful discussions.  Oh well, I try to be liked, but I gotta be me.  Anyone who makes an impact won't be liked by everybody.

I'll finish by saying that as an American I observe that the christian church in America has in large part strayed from the church that Christ founded and is in need of reform.  But it seems that as church congregations shrink, those left behind are the true believers that are going to bring the church back to its roots and the world will again see God through them.  To that end, I intend to use the time that I would have spent in this forum to do God's work for the people around me.  Maybe they'll see God at work, and if thy ask me about him then I'll tell them about him.
RE: Thoughts
I'm not certain if this is a goodbye to the forum or just thoughts on your stay here so far.

Either way, I am glad that we were able to provide you with something of value.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Never thought theist don't do good things.

Never thought you are different from myself.

Just disagree on one question, and that's it.

Just don't like the certainty and hell stuff, when I am honest in my doubt.

Good people are good people, and I am happy bout that.
(September 25, 2017 at 4:21 pm)Lek Wrote: Hopefully, I convinced some visitors who were on the edge to stay with their faith.

Given the calibre of your arguments and the quality of your debating skills, I'd be fairly sure you have had the opposite effect. The first you can't help because the calibre of arguments in favour of christianity are low. For the second I'd suggest education in debate and rhetoric.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Well! Isn't that special?

[Image: Church-Lady-2s.jpg]
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Wait, you were only here to try to convert people? Okay . . .
What else did you expect?

Very few come for honest debate.
(September 25, 2017 at 4:21 pm)Lek Wrote: I came to sharp turn in the road a couple of months ago and haven't posted anything here since then and probably won't for a while.  I have a different outlook on things and have lost some passions I had and gained some others.  I spent 3 1/2 years in this forum defending and expounding on theism and christianity and I don't know that I changed the mind of any atheist.  Hopefully, I convinced some visitors who were on the edge to stay with their faith.  You never really know because there's no feedback.  I know that there's good stuff that comes from the discussion here, but I've lost my desire to continue for now.  I've seen numerous people who have shown up at our church's food distribution or meals and then show up at the worship services down the road.  It seems that actions get people's attention and when they become interested in your faith they come to you. Then they are ready to listen to what you have to say.

I have benefited personally from this forum.  I wanted to get hit with every argument against my faith that is out there and you atheists were all too happy to accommodate me in that regard.  In fact, my butt is still smoking, but I've matured because of it.  I've actually become able to look at issues from different sides.  I can understand why so many atheists left christianity and can understand the way they think.  I now believe in the evolutionary process; it doesn't negate the need for God.  Though I disagree with their sexual morality, I support equal rights for homosexuals because we're all citizens and equal under the law no matter what our faith or lack of it.  I can also understand the anxiety that transsexuals experience day to day.  We don't have to agree on everything in order to come together to create a better society.

I can't say that I like every person that I've come in contact with here, and not everybody likes me, but for the most part we've had civilized and respectful discussions.  Oh well, I try to be liked, but I gotta be me.  Anyone who makes an impact won't be liked by everybody.

I'll finish by saying that as an American I observe that the christian church in America has in large part strayed from the church that Christ founded and is in need of reform.  But it seems that as church congregations shrink, those left behind are the true believers that are going to bring the church back to its roots and the world will again see God through them.  To that end, I intend to use the time that I would have spent in this forum to do God's work for the people around me.  Maybe they'll see God at work, and if thy ask me about him then I'll tell them about him.

God be with you Lek, look for His purpose and stay on the path.

Love in Christ,

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
It's fascinating to see christer mating rituals in the wild.  

So, I have a question.  Given that christianity has been/needed to be "going back to it's roots" for pretty much the entirety of the last century...particularly in the US, how much soil do you reckon is still at the base of that tree?  Additionally, if it was ever going to help, after all that time going back to whatever roots any of you imagine...why hasn't it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 25, 2017 at 5:49 pm)Khemikal Wrote: It's fascinating to see christer mating rituals in the wild.  

So, I have a question.  Given that christianity has been/needed to be "going back to it's roots" for pretty much the entirety of the last century...particularly in the US, how much soil do you reckon is still at the base of that tree?  Additionally, if it was ever going to help, after all that time going back to whatever roots any of you imagine...why hasn't it?

They've been going back to their roots since at least the 16th Century. You'd think centuries would have been enough time to get it right -- especially given the divinely inspired source material.  Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Thoughts on the Goodness of God God_is_Good 49 2122 April 10, 2024 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Some thoughts on "god" The Valkyrie 19 492 April 5, 2024 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11478 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  More thoughts about Immaculate Conception Graufreud 57 8541 July 31, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  My thoughts on heaven dyresand 24 7186 November 3, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Random Thoughts on Hell: Daddy's Crazy Athene 47 8842 September 18, 2015 at 10:04 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Thoughts on Atheism and Apologetics Randy Carson 105 18401 July 4, 2015 at 5:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Thoughts on gays and sin YahwehIsTheWay 77 18061 December 10, 2014 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: strawdawg
Video What are your thoughts on G-Man dyresand 18 6934 October 9, 2014 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Im back! - Ray Comfort and Ken Ham & Bill Nye and Ken Ham Debate thoughts xr34p3rx 2 1647 March 9, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: xr34p3rx