Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Thought Experiment for Believers and Atheists Alike
A Thought Experiment for Believers and Atheists Alike
Scenario:

At Midnight GMT a small miracle occurs. Everywhere , all at once, religion disappears. Every trace of it. Every holy book, every deity, every hymn, every religious symbol. Every memory of religion disappears from the human mind. Some people wake up and wonder why they are wearing funny hats (We will keep the hats for this exercise). The rest of human memory, culture, cuisine, art, song, industry, technology, science, medicine remains as is.

What do you think will happen?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: A Thought Experiment for Believers and Atheists Alike
Chimp ...can we do this in a few months ...I'm actually looking forward to my Christmas holidays!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 9, 2017 at 6:47 am)ignoramus Wrote: Chimp ...can we do this in a few months ...I'm actually looking forward to my Christmas holidays!

Thought experiment only! You can keep your pagan feast!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

The insecure will start making gods/religion again followed by people willing to manipulate them for other purposes. 

Hopefully this next time the gods will not be the reward/punish type.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Who dat Jesus guy we have reams and reams of music about? Seems a bit excessive...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I think reasoning will prove the need of having God's guidance and reasoning will prove the need to unite on a leader from God who represents the path of God and name of God.

I think people will then pray for God to guide them and God will provide that guidance.
(October 9, 2017 at 6:42 am)chimp3 Wrote: Scenario:

At Midnight GMT a small miracle occurs. Everywhere , all at once, religion disappears. Every trace of it. Every holy book, every deity, every hymn, every religious symbol. Every memory of religion disappears from the human mind. Some people wake up and wonder why they are wearing funny hats (We will keep the hats for this exercise). The rest of human memory, culture, cuisine, art, song, industry, technology, science, medicine remains as is.

Does the memory of religion disappear? I am just trying to be clear. Do people forget religion ever existed? I am only wondering because you say people wonder why they are wearing funny hats.

(October 9, 2017 at 8:14 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I think reasoning will prove the need of having God's guidance and reasoning will prove the need to unite on a leader from God who represents the path of God and name of God.

This is laughable considering it can't even be proved even in a world where people do believe.
(October 9, 2017 at 8:16 am)Hammy Wrote:
(October 9, 2017 at 6:42 am)chimp3 Wrote: Scenario:

Does the memory of religion disappear? I am just trying to be clear. Do people forget religion ever existed? I am only wondering because you say people wonder why they are wearing funny hats.

(October 9, 2017 at 8:14 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I think reasoning will prove the need of having God's guidance and reasoning will prove the need to unite on a leader from God who represents the path of God and name of God.

This is laughable considering it can't even be proved even in a world where people do believe.

Maybe that's due to the mess of history we have. Clean slate, we might be forced to rely on reason more objectively?
(October 9, 2017 at 8:20 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Maybe that's due to the mess of history we have. Clean slate, we might be forced to rely on reason more objectively?

LOL!!!!

It's reason that leads people away from reason religion. You're the perfect example of someone crap at reason... and so are the other theists here!
I think we would see mass carnage on a scale almost unimaginable. Religion is all that keeps a lot of religionists from eviscerating their neighbours. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 667 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information How to discuss religion with believers? Scientia 161 15482 February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2876 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3750 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8532 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4571 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why do some moderates get so attached to other believers? Der/die AtheistIn 4 1260 December 19, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16337 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  what believers accept without thinking Akat4891 17 6315 June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm
  Lust, sex, random thought PETE_ROSE 295 30403 August 23, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Joods