Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
I want to ask christians, what are the benefits of being a christian while being alive? All I hear is what is going to happen AFTER you die. That you go to heaven and that God will not throw you into the pits of hell. BUT I want to know, what are the benefits of being a christian while being alive. And I want benefits that don't aply to muslims, buddhists, atheists, etc.

Matthew 20
1 For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.
2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.
3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.
5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.
6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?
7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.
8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.
9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.
10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.
11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,
12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.
13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?
14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.
15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?
16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

I could turn christian after being an old man who has lived a worldly life. I'd repent of my sins, turn to God and put my soul into Jesus' heart before dieing and I'd be the first! I'd even go first than a christian person who has lived a life of christian perfection for decades. Does that make any sense?

You could argue. "Well, you never know when you're going to die, you might die unexpectedly before having the chance of repenting and asking for God's mercy."

That doesn't make sense either. If an 80 year old man who has lived a christian life of perfection, for some reason, decides to abandon God and become an atheist. Why does he have to go to hell? Why would an 80 year old man who has lived a life of sin, but repented and turned to God before dieing, go to heaven instead? Why does the moment we die has to define our whole lives?

Why does christianity revolve around death? What about this life? A life is in constant evolution, it has many facets. It can't be defined by a moment in time. But christians say that what you believe in just before dieing defines your whole destiny. That is absurd and does not make sense at all.

Anyway. Why should I be a christian? What are the benefits that would make my life better than an atheist's? If there's a God and if he wants people to believe in him, there must be a benefit, because otherwise, being a christian would be pointless. Heaven is just a promise, there's no scientific proof that it exists and even religious people don't know for sure what heaven is all about.

I can be a better person as an atheist. I don't feel I have to believe in God to have a good and moral life. If there's no God, there are simply no benefits of being a christian because he does not exist and your belief system is a LIE. Death is just death and a person's moral system has to make society a better place. I don't see why God or a religious belief system would be necessary in order to achieve that.
RE: The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
Nice post. I'm interested to see what theists have to say.
(December 24, 2017 at 2:16 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Nice post. I'm interested to see what theists have to say.

Me too, I was christian for a whole year and I didn't see any benefits at all. I'm actually quoting scripture because I read the bible, I used to be catholic (protestant during the last months.) On the contrary, people thought less of me for being religious (they thought I was ignorant) and religious people's standards were extremely high, I'm just a human, I'm not a robot!!!! I had to give up my personal freedom, crush the core of my soul and mold it into a christ-like figure in order to fit in. It's spiritual slavery. It was all for nothing, just promises, while my personal wellbeing was dragged into this dark place where no one cares about you. So I decided to get out! My life was fine before christianity. Your threats have no impact on my life anymore and your belief system is cruel, bigoted and stuck up. My personal freedom, my individuality and my peace of mind comes first. And I'm not a slave like Mary said before she was impregnated by God!!!

My life as a christian was no different than my life as an atheist and that's one of the reasons I went back to atheism (that and the fact that my year living as a christian was the worst year of my life, I'm not superstitious though, but that made me turn atheist again faster.)  

If there are no benefits I don't see the point of being christian other than using it as a security blanket, but I'm not a child and my whole atheist life has more weight on me (and my philosophy of being who I AM and not what some else expects me to be) than a bunch of fairy tales and superstitions.  Dodgy
I'm not a Christian but I like a challenge( basicaly that is why I cam here and to know atheists).
Firstly lets go with the story. It is clear that the story is speaking about heaven( the penny) . Now the point is , why should you be bothered if someone who came to religion lately than you did if the reward is heaven? I mean , there is no reward bigger than heaven. The Bible is saying also that every sin is equal in the eyes of God , so basically from that view point you are as much as a sinner that the lately arrived.

The benefits of Christianity depend from person to person, it can help you have a better life quality. But I think the whole atheist/theist things is based on a missunderstanding. I think it gets cleare by the next thing:
All sins are equal in the eyes of God. Althoug somewhere in the bible says that you need to believe in order to be saved , I think the poin of the story it was not that only those who believe are saved but to make it clear that not-believing in the Son of God is a sin. And you can solve this with one statement " Forgive them because they don't know what they are doing", now in that situation, Jesus asks for forgivens for all people including the Romans that didn't believed in him nor God. So it doesn't matter if you are an atheist or theist.
thread Title: You don't have to think as much.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The parable about the workers getting the same pay, regardless of their time at work, IS NOT about the number of hours spent in sainthood, but about the value of the human being to God, who is not interested in whatever self esteem one might have.
The Jews prided themselves in their good achievements, but they were a pain to live with. They were narcissists. But the workers who recieved the same wage at the end of the day, for less work, represented people who are grateful for what they get, because they don't feel they deserve it.
But the parable also teaches that no one should feel that they are shut out of heaven, because when they recieve it, none of whatever transpired on earth will be significant anyway.
I'm not a Christian because it "benefits" me. I'm Christian because I think it is true.

Being a Christian isn't always easy. We are called to deny ourselves for a higher road and that can be difficult and not always fun. With that being said, there is a certain joy in living for a greater purpose. And it's a joyous thing to know that there is a God who is good and that there is deeper meaning to life.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 24, 2017 at 8:40 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm not a Christian because it "benefits" me. I'm Christian because I think it is true.

The same reason I am an atheist.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

What benefit is there to being a Christian, as opposed to someone who rejects the truth?

None really, as you said. 

If you want to follow Christ, you may expect persecution from society, from your own friends and relatives, and a life of trials, hardship, poverty and suffering etc.
Jesus said, whoever wants to be my disciple, let him take up his cross and deny himself.
The Christian life isn't about desperately seeking the best way to pamper yourself.

But there are benefits of being a Christian which the worlding cannot experience even with the most powerful drugs. And that is an inner calm and peace, cheer, hope and integrity that will not cave in under pressure.

The genuine Christian also lives a life of the highest order, he gains wisdom, insight, perseverence, a refined character, a clear conscience and eternal life, with incredible rewards.

The life of the wicked, is one of self interest, their ambitions get them the best of this world, but there is no inner calm, just envy, anger, and restlessness. Their will becomes morally weak, and the character perverse. The end result for the wicked, is not only a wasted character, but a ridiculous struggle with no victories, except in personal gain, a vain hope, misery and death.

It is for the victims of sin/selfishness, all of humanity, that Christ makes every effort and sacrifice to save. Every sin that they have committed has been paid for, and they are entitled to the full reward of eternal life, if they turn up now to work for Christ and not against him.
(December 24, 2017 at 8:54 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(December 24, 2017 at 8:40 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm not a Christian because it "benefits" me. I'm Christian because I think it is true.

The same reason I am an atheist.

And I respect that. We dont follow what we believe for any sort of convenience or benefit. We follow it because we have a desire for truth, regardless of whether that leads to Christianity or atheism.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89326 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 21070 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5689 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 17125 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7432 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12163 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How many christian beliebers are there? Belac Enrobso 9 1974 December 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Has anyone ever found a way to reconsile being Gay/Bi/Lesbien and being a Christian? pop_punks_not_dead 102 43316 February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Rant of logic: There is no such thing as a "Christian" GateofZion 53 21175 January 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6343 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej