Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Afterlife- A Hallucination?
The Afterlife- A Hallucination?
I was looking up videos about near-death experiences on Youtube when I came across this interesting video.

This video talks about an organ in the brain called the pineal gland. The gland usually is most active at times of extreme stress (during a near-death experience, for example). This gland naturally secretes DMT into the bloodstream, which causes people to see visions of “helpers,” entities who are supposed to help them into the afterlife. These entities can be either benevolent or malevolent.

After I watched this video, I couldn’t help but look back on my old Christian beliefs. When my preachers would talk about heaven and hell, they would describe them in vivid detail; one sermon I listened to even referenced a Christian’s near-death experience as to the sensory details of the afterlife.

Now my question to you is this: is it possible that heaven and hell are nothing more than hallucinations caused by DMT secreted from the pineal gland?
"If your god has to make peace with me in my final hour when he has my whole lifetime to prove his existence to me...do you think I should bother?"

"But the happiness of an atheist is neither the vacuous enjoyment of a fool, nor the short-lived pleasure of a rogue. It is rather the expression of a disposition that has ceased to torture itself with foolish fancies, or perplex itself with useless beliefs." - Chapman Cohen
RE: The Afterlife- A Hallucination?
More likely that religious fuckwads are just stupid.
Well, I'm certainly not ruling that option out. I'm just trying to find a scientific explanation as to why some people may believe so strongly in the existence of an afterlife.
"If your god has to make peace with me in my final hour when he has my whole lifetime to prove his existence to me...do you think I should bother?"

"But the happiness of an atheist is neither the vacuous enjoyment of a fool, nor the short-lived pleasure of a rogue. It is rather the expression of a disposition that has ceased to torture itself with foolish fancies, or perplex itself with useless beliefs." - Chapman Cohen
A brain starved of oxygen will send lots of false signals....which if the person survives he will later interpret in terms of whatever bullshit religion he follows.
@Jonah

The pineal gland is also known as 'the third eye' and 'the seat of the soul' has been known of in several religions for many centuries..

The full Wiki article is worth a glance

Quote:René Descartes, who dedicated much time to the study of the pineal gland,[24] called it the "seat of the soul".[25] He believed that it was the point of connection between the intellect and the body.[26] The relevant quotation as to Descartes' reason for believing this is,

“My view is that this gland is the principal seat of the soul, and the place in which all our thoughts are formed. The reason I believe this is that I cannot find any part of the brain, except this, which is not double. Since we see only one thing with two eyes, and hear only one voice with two ears, and in short have never more than one thought at a time, it must necessarily be the case that the impressions which enter by the two eyes or by the two ears, and so on, unite with each other in some part of the body before being considered by the soul. Now it is impossible to find any such place in the whole head except this gland; moreover it is situated in the most suitable possible place for this purpose, in the middle of all the concavities; and it is supported and surrounded by the little branches of the carotid arteries which bring the spirits into the brain.”[24] (29 January 1640, AT III:19-20, CSMK 143)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_gland
(November 7, 2010 at 8:25 pm)padraic Wrote: @Jonah

The pineal gland is also known as 'the third eye' and 'the seat of the soul' has been known of in several religions for many centuries..

The full Wiki article is worth a glance

Quote:René Descartes, who dedicated much time to the study of the pineal gland,[24] called it the "seat of the soul".[25] He believed that it was the point of connection between the intellect and the body.[26] The relevant quotation as to Descartes' reason for believing this is,

“My view is that this gland is the principal seat of the soul, and the place in which all our thoughts are formed. The reason I believe this is that I cannot find any part of the brain, except this, which is not double. Since we see only one thing with two eyes, and hear only one voice with two ears, and in short have never more than one thought at a time, it must necessarily be the case that the impressions which enter by the two eyes or by the two ears, and so on, unite with each other in some part of the body before being considered by the soul. Now it is impossible to find any such place in the whole head except this gland; moreover it is situated in the most suitable possible place for this purpose, in the middle of all the concavities; and it is supported and surrounded by the little branches of the carotid arteries which bring the spirits into the brain.”[24] (29 January 1640, AT III:19-20, CSMK 143)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_gland

I'm surprised that Judeo-Christian religions don't try to utilize this gland. I heard that in eastern philosophies that chakra meditation is supposed to create a "consciousness of divinity" that is supposed to permanently influence how a person perceives the world. Knowing how Christians are obsessed with becoming closer to God, I'm surprised I don't see more Christians meditation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternal afterlife purplepurpose 129 24958 February 14, 2018 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife. Whateverist 48 12053 October 20, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  AFTERLIFE, XYZ Athene 35 7219 September 13, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Christianity with no afterlife RobbyPants 18 3031 February 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Norman Humann