Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wal Mart increases starting wage
Wal Mart increases starting wage
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/walmart-...-bill.html

Quote:Walmart's workers will soon reap the benefits of the recent tax law changes, as the world's largest private employer raises its starting wage, creates new benefits and distributes bonuses to eligible workers.

The big-box retailer announced Thursday it will increase its starting wage rate for hourly employees in the U.S. to $11, and expand maternity and parental leave benefits. Currently, Walmart's starting wage is $9 until workers complete a training program. Then, they receive $10.

Walmart will also pay a one-time cash bonus to eligible employees of as much as $1,000. The payouts, which should total roughly $400 million, will result in a one-time charge that the company will take in its fiscal fourth quarter.
RE: Wal Mart increases starting wage
And of course, even more bonuses to the big boys (that's who the tax cuts are really for).

$11 minimum hourly rate is a joke, and not much of a jump from $10.
Quote:Walmart's workers will soon reap the benefits of the recent tax law changes,

And they should be happy with crumbs because that is all they are getting.

You are so easily fooled, A/M.
Quote:Walmart will also pay a one-time cash bonus to eligible employees of as much as $1,000

Eligible, meaning? Worked more than 20 years there, right?

Fucking PR stunt, and nothing more.

Again, it's the big boys that really benefit from the tax cuts, not the struggling workers.
Quote:The bonuses will be determined by an employee's length of service. Those workers with more than 20 years of experience will qualify to receive the full $1,000. However, workers with less than two years of experience will receive $200, a Walmart spokesman told CNBC.

Employees with 15 to 19 years of service at Walmart will receive $750, while those with 10 to 14 years of work there will receive a $400 bonus, he said. Five to nine years of experience merits a $300 bonus, while two to four years of service will result in a payout of $250.
Wow. A whole $1000 bonus for a mere 20 years of service? Where do I sign up?

Assuming a paycheck every other week, that "bonus" -- spread over those 20 years -- comes to the princely pre-tax bump of $1.92 per pay period of service. Nothing says "thank you" like a fucking insult.
I don't think people who work at Walmart will scoff at $1,000. That said, I think businesses may be putting the cart before the horse.
I hope to see that increase keep rising. The thousand dollar bonus is only going to last so long.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 11, 2018 at 1:25 pm)Crossless2.0 Wrote: Wow. A whole $1000 bonus for a mere 20 years of service? Where do I sign up?

Assuming a paycheck every other week, that "bonus" -- spread over those 20 years -- comes to the princely pre-tax bump of $1.92 per pay period of service. Nothing says "thank you" like a fucking insult.

They'll probably turn it down.  Who needs 1.92 per pay period over 20 years.  Probably can't even by 1000 dollars with that.
It's a stunt, but every little bit helps, and I'm glad for the workers that benefit from it. I hope this isn't a prelude to layoffs like it has been in some other cases.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trumps base is starting to erode. Jehanne 76 9621 February 3, 2019 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Which fucking moron chooses to wage war on all other major powers at once? Anomalocaris 16 1623 June 1, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Sanctuary cities starting to sue abaris 18 1559 February 2, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Iran is starting to move abaris 26 2878 February 7, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Wal-Mart bakes ISIS flag cake but not Confederate flag cake..? ReptilianPeon 35 9252 June 28, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Living wage polar bear 44 5347 June 27, 2015 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why we need a mandatory living wage: Ryantology 96 14493 September 6, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Seattle City Council Approves $15/hour Minimum Wage Jackalope 46 6761 July 16, 2014 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist