Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do You Rep People?
Why Do You Rep People?
I rep people: because I like them; because I think they make interesting or insightful posts; because they made one great post that catches my eye; because I think they are funny; because they appear to be in need of a morale boost;  because I agree with them about something that most people disagree with; because they are capable of disagreeing with me while remaining civil; and other reasons I'm probably forgetting.  

And I admit to occasionally repping people out of politeness because they've repped me.  Usually though, it's not so much that they repped me as that I thought I already had, until their rep reminded me to look to see if I had.  I have repped theists who rep me simply because it shows their thinking is not merely us versus them. Usually though, it's less that they repped me and more that their rep caused me to think about the quality of their posts.

What I don't do is rep people in hopes they will rep me back. Other than that one personal rule,  I'm very inconsistent about repping.

Why do you rep?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Why Do You Rep People?
I've already rep'd you.

Leave me alone.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I rep people in the hopes they'll do the right thing and return the favor.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I have a desire to rep people but I'm always on the mobile version and it doesn't work. Unfortunately I don't value the arbitrary numbers enough to switch to the full site, so... sorry guys.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Usually as a reward for a funny or pertinent comment.
I rep people for consistently strong contributions, that, and rep whoring threads. Tongue
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm really stingy with reps, because I really don't like the whole tit for tat thing. Same with other BBs I'm a part of. But if you recieve a kudo from me, it's like getting a rep from another person.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Same exact reasons as you, Jen.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I think so far I've repped people who gave me good practical advice like where to download something I wanted.
People who said something that impacted me a bit.  One was a really good joke, another a really good compliment.  I think I've repped people because they've been a bit of an underdog of the forum but I like a lot of their posts. 

I give out reps very rarely though.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I am fairly new here. But I will give a rep if I find a post, or series of posts, to be particularly insightful and useful. Or, if I have found that a poster is consistently interesting and the 'rep' impulse hits me.

I don't, so far, do tit for tat reps. But I also find that I *want* to give a rep to a person who has repped me because it reminds me that I like their stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1320 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why People Ignore Facts (Gun Control) Jade-Green Stone 22 1646 December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why does Politics bring out the worst in so many people? GODZILLA 21 2037 October 10, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why are you American people, careless? A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 27 2184 September 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Early Trump supporter Rep. Chris Collins (R-NY) arrested for insider trading Aegon 1 365 August 11, 2018 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why do people get angry seeing a Burqa ErGingerbreadMandude 65 9728 October 4, 2017 at 11:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why are people so affraid of anarchy? FlatAssembler 152 29860 September 12, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  This is why people hate America NuclearEnergy 57 13336 September 4, 2017 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 1997 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I want to know, why do these people hate Obama so much? NuclearEnergy 42 14980 July 21, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne