Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The death penalty makes no sense.
The death penalty makes no sense.
This morning at 10 AM CDT, the State of Nebraska is set to execute Carey Dean Moore, who says that he is "ready to die".  His victims' families approve of his upcoming execution.  But, when Mr. Moore dies a (hopefully) peaceful death, he will cease to exist, and hence, no longer suffer the punishments of prison.  In fact, if he experiences what I experienced a few days ago when I fainted while on my feet due to a brief illness (probably, mono), he will never even experience death.  Instead, he will go to sleep and then die.

In this sense, how can the death penalty be said to be "punishment"; isn't it just better to leave Mr. Moore in prison for the rest of his life if you wish to see him be punished for his heinous crimes?  Instead, Mr. Moore gets to end his life on the World stage, on the front pages of major newspapers across the Globe.
RE: The death penalty makes no sense.
The death penalty: teaching people a lesson they'll never remember.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I concur that the death penalty makes no sense.
(August 14, 2018 at 9:28 am)Cyberman Wrote: The death penalty: teaching people a lesson they'll never remember.

This is a great quote!  (I wish that I would thought of it!!)
(August 14, 2018 at 9:25 am)Jehanne Wrote: This morning at 10 AM CDT, the State of Nebraska is set to execute Carey Dean Moore, who says that he is "ready to die".  His victims' families approve of his upcoming execution.  But, when Mr. Moore dies a (hopefully) peaceful death, he will cease to exist, and hence, no longer suffer the punishments of prison.  In fact, if he experiences what I experienced a few days ago when I fainted while on my feet due to a brief illness (probably, mono), he will never even experience death.  Instead, he will go to sleep and then die.

In this sense, how can the death penalty be said to be "punishment"; isn't it just better to leave Mr. Moore in prison for the rest of his life if you wish to see him be punished for his heinous crimes?  Instead, Mr. Moore gets to end his life on the World stage, on the front pages of major newspapers across the Globe.

What did he do?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
The death penalty is nothing more than state sanctioned revenge killing. It's completely ineffective as a deterrent, more costly than life without parole and causes severe issues for the executioners. It's a lose-lose for everyone but the inmate who simply goes to sleep, never having to fear the depredations of prison after that. The only way you can justify the death penalty as a punishment is to prove hell actually exists and the condemned will actually wind up there.

Revenge isn't justice no matter the crime.and death is a release, especially considering the state of our prison system.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(August 14, 2018 at 9:50 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(August 14, 2018 at 9:25 am)Jehanne Wrote: This morning at 10 AM CDT, the State of Nebraska is set to execute Carey Dean Moore, who says that he is "ready to die".  His victims' families approve of his upcoming execution.  But, when Mr. Moore dies a (hopefully) peaceful death, he will cease to exist, and hence, no longer suffer the punishments of prison.  In fact, if he experiences what I experienced a few days ago when I fainted while on my feet due to a brief illness (probably, mono), he will never even experience death.  Instead, he will go to sleep and then die.

What did he do?

Murdered 2 cab drivers, in cold blood.  But, like many on death row, he appears to have been a "changed man".
(August 14, 2018 at 9:28 am)Cyberman Wrote: The death penalty: teaching people a lesson they'll never remember.

Agreed.

Also... Mono is not in any way a "brief" illness.
/thread.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Yes, but if you are going to argue what most really think about, outside moral issues, the real reason you should object to the death penalty is the cost to the tax payer. ON AVERAGE it costs the tax payer far more to prosecute a death penalty case than it does to give them life without parole. 

The moral reason to object to it is that it hurts those without financial means to defend themselves, not just the poor, but the middle class as well. Not everyone has the money of a millionaire or billionaire who commits the same crime. And far too often it hurts minorities more on average for the same accusation.

Then why do most all of them keep appealing and delaying the execution?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Religion of Peace makes the news again brewer 13 647 November 5, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Can Anyone Make Any Sense of These Trump Propaganda Brochures? Prof.Lunaphiles 2 342 April 21, 2020 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Peter Fonda Makes Vulgar Tweet Suggesting That Barron Trump Be Kidnapped A Theist 184 17579 June 23, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Bill O'Reilly makes a guest appearance on Fox News Foxaèr 2 884 September 27, 2017 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The UN votes to abolish the death penalty. Jehanne 11 1649 December 28, 2016 at 7:10 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Makes Sense Minimalist 16 1954 September 21, 2016 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  Trump makes second veiled threat..... Brian37 30 3655 September 17, 2016 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  What Makes Conspiracy Theories Popular? Nope 31 3772 April 11, 2015 at 4:45 am
Last Post: urlawyer
  Florida Legislature Accidentally Makes Teen Sexting Completely Legal TheRealJoeFish 3 1010 February 3, 2015 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm guessing Kentucky had the good sense to be embarrassed about that ark. Ryantology 19 3722 December 27, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Cyberman