Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parenting rules?
Parenting rules?
Are you required to be “friends” with your kids’ friends’ parents??? I gave one mom my phone number because her daughter and mine are cheering together and she won’t stop sending me religious motivational memes. Halp!
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: Parenting rules?
My one atheist brother who has kids in elementary and middle school has decided to fly under the radar regarding religion in order not to roil the social scene for his kids. Tepid I know, but then I'm the guy who avoided any talk of religion as a teacher. Most of the work of teaching is creating openings to communicate for the sake of the mission at hand, why invite one more attractive alternative?
Oh, I don’t ever discuss religion with school people. No one knows I’m an atheist. I just don’t know if it’s okay to decline to give my number out to her friends’ parents in the future. Probably not 😩
I’m wishing I could take my number back from this lady.

0/10

I do prefer to have their numbers. You just never know. You can just ignore her and hope she goes away Tongue
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
I'm going to probably have to deal with this when my daughter gets older.

I would get Christian/anti-homosexual memes all the time from the Nigerian at my work, I just ignored it because the number was useful for shift swaps or other info.  I wasn't getting them everyday though.

My friends send me more shocking offensive memes than that anyway so it's not much of a big deal to me, but no one has sent me stuff on a daily basis.

I'm more worried when my daughter gets older of her conversations with these types of religious families and the questions she's going to ask me in return.  At the moment though it's all about paw patrol and thomas the tank engine.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(September 6, 2018 at 11:50 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I'm going to probably have to deal with this when my daughter gets older.

I would get Christian/anti-homosexual memes all the time from the Nigerian at my work, I just ignored it because the number was useful for shift swaps or other info.  I wasn't getting them everyday though.

My friends send me more shocking offensive memes than that anyway so it's not much of a big deal to me, but no one has sent me stuff on a daily basis.

I'm more worried when my daughter gets older of her conversations with these types of religious families and the questions she's going to ask me in return.  At the moment though it's all about paw patrol and thomas the tank engine.

In the last 3 days she has sent me at least 2 per day. Honestly even if it wasn’t religious, it’s just annoying.

Mine has already gone through stages of “believing in God” even though she doesn’t know what god is really. I keep putting it off because I want to make sure she’s old enough to really understand and make that choice for herself. Whenever I do have to face a question I usually go with “some people believe [christian version], but some people believe [hindu version]”. Luckily I haven’t been corned into telling what I believe yet.

I have one that still loves paw patrol!

0/10

I used to get this kind of crap from people I used to work with. I just sent back an email stating that I do not discuss religious or political topics at work. I'm not sure how to handle that when it is just persons you know outside of work. Our kids were little when the cell phone bidness started getting big- our youngest is 29. Maybe just say you don't have enough bandwidth to handle lots of photos, or whatever it is, in terms of what you send? I'm not one to be nice when people step on my toes. One of our neighbors has a guy who helps walk her dogs. There are always a couple of the leash, and sometimes they run around in our front yard. One of the dogs likes to chase lizards, and was getting up in our front yard to do it. The LAST time it happened, I simply said, "Keep your dogs on the leash, out of my front yard, and away from the lizards!". I'm all polite, like that. Rolleyes  They know they're being dickheads, and just like to be that way. They walk the dogs on the other side of the street, now. Win-win.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Maybe send her an atheist meme Big Grin

Nothing with a hard edge or anything. Just something that makes a good point about religion and also says "Why don't you just contact me about stuff that involves our kids from now on?"
(September 7, 2018 at 12:57 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Maybe send her an atheist meme Big Grin

Nothing with a hard edge or anything. Just something that makes a good point about religion and also says "Why don't you just contact me about stuff that involves our kids from now on?"

No.

Send her details to the JWs, Mormons, Scientologist or all three...
Dying to live, living to die.
Set up an e-mail rule that trashes any message from her that has "pray," "bless," "Jesus," "God," or "Lord" in in the subject line. (She might still put those words in the body of a legitimate cheerleading messaging, but this will deal with the more obvious godspam.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cliff Notes, For Forum Rules. Goosebump 18 598 February 12, 2024 at 7:01 am
Last Post: no one
  Road Rules and jerks..... Brian37 72 5093 March 5, 2019 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Parenting tackattack 17 997 November 23, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  YouTube's New Monetization Rules Mechaghostman2 8 1507 January 28, 2018 at 6:50 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Okay, If Odd Rules Usually Reflect Prior Behavior Jenny A 8 1995 December 18, 2014 at 6:23 am
Last Post: abaris
  Bill Maher New Rules New Trend of The Super Rich Gooders1002 1 1669 March 21, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Bill Maher's "Rules About Religion" collection. Brian37 9 3907 June 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Stoner rules: Dotard 10 3018 November 1, 2012 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Ultimate Forum Rules Fail FallentoReason 24 8516 October 3, 2012 at 2:40 am
Last Post: Lion IRC
  We played by your rules.. [was 'What JudeoChristian values have brought us'] Rokcet Scientist 19 3386 November 14, 2011 at 3:38 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko