Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't see my RAID 5 Array in Win 10
Can't see my RAID 5 Array in Win 10
So I've been talking about a new workstation I was building for a project at work over in the "What's the Best Way To Move To A New HDD" thread. We got all the parts in yesterday and as of this morning it's working. Working well according to the benchmark test I ran. With one exception that is. When I try to configure a 3 drive raid array via bios I can see the Intel Raid 5 Volume in the device manager, but I can't see the drive in windows disk management.

Any suggestions?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Can't see my RAID 5 Array in Win 10
I have found that any technical question I have has normally been addressed by someone else before me.  Put your question in Google and see what results.
Can you configure it as JBOD and let windows volume management handle it? Or does it not do 2+1? I know it can handle striping.

I have a homebuilt FreeNAS 8x3TB RAIDZ2 (two redundant parity drives) + 2 4TB non-redundant scratch drives I can lose two drives (except from my scratch)and not lose any data.

Server grade hardware, parity RAM, quad core Xeon and a shitton of RAM. It's ridiculously overpowered for just storage so I run Plex and owncloud servers and a couple of virtual machines courtesy of a PHP Vitualbox front-end.

Pretty awesome free NAS solution if you're into that sort of thing. Not cheap in my case, but it could be done a lot cheaper.

I need to do some maintenance soon, maybe I'll post some geek pron.
(October 12, 2018 at 3:19 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I have found that any technical question I have has normally been addressed by someone else before me.  Put your question in Google and see what results.

Tried that first. Actually found someone with my exact problem. No solution though...

(October 12, 2018 at 3:23 pm)Cathooloo Wrote: Can you configure it as JBOD and let windows volume management handle it?  Or does it not do 2+1?  I know it can handle striping.

Yes, I could us Windows to configure the drives for stripping with parity, but the Intel RAID solution is supposed to be better. i.e. both faster and recover a failed drive more accurately.
Does it appear at all under disk management? Maybe uninitialised?

Have you installed the correct ver on intel managment sw? Does it show up there?

Lastly, Are you sure the sata ports are intel? My gigabyte board has 6 intel sata ports (for intel raid) and 4 gigabyte sata ports (for gigabyte raid)
You'll need the gigabyte raid drivers if connected to the gigabyte ports.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(October 13, 2018 at 4:40 am)ignoramus Wrote: Does it appear at all under disk management? Maybe uninitialised?

Have you installed the correct ver on intel managment sw? Does it show up there?

Lastly, Are you sure the sata ports are intel? My gigabyte board has 6 intel sata ports (for intel raid) and 4 gigabyte sata ports (for gigabyte raid)

I can see it under the hardware manager, but not under the disk manager.

As far as I can tell I am using the latest version of RTS.

It's an ASRock motherboard. According to the manual, all 6 of the SATA 3 ports support Intel RTS.

I may have figured out what the problem is. According to this link at Intel, I should have configured the RAID before I installed the OS. I may need to reinstall Windows. That's not really a big deal since there isn't anything else on the computer yet, but if true it sure sucks that Microsoft can't figure out how to add a RAID array after the fact.
Control I. ?

No?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Quote:Tried that first. Actually found someone with my exact problem. No solution though...

[Image: 1313000827813_8391660.png]
(October 13, 2018 at 9:24 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(October 13, 2018 at 4:40 am)ignoramus Wrote: Does it appear at all under disk management? Maybe uninitialised?

I can see it under the hardware manager, but not under the disk manager.

It's an ASRock motherboard. According to the manual, all 6 of the SATA 3 ports support Intel RTS.

I may have figured out what the problem is. According to this link at Intel, I should have configured the RAID before I installed the OS. I may need to reinstall Windows. That's not really a big deal since there isn't anything else on the computer yet, but if true it sure sucks that Microsoft can't figure out how to add a RAID array after the fact.

OK, I am willing to have a go, but so far the information is so sparse that it would be a total guess. Care to do better?

So far, I don't even know the nature of the issue. You have a computer and an external RAID. They are estranged. You think they are connected, or ought to be connected, but do not specify how they are connected. Two cans and a length of string or what? WTF do I do with that? Are they internal or external? Who knows? SATA or ethernet? No idea.

I would like to help, but I have no clue what configuration 
you have and you have not helped me help you.

Ball is in your court.
(October 13, 2018 at 6:38 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(October 13, 2018 at 9:24 am)popeyespappy Wrote: I can see it under the hardware manager, but not under the disk manager.

OK, I am willing to have a go, but so far the information is so sparse that it would be a total guess. Care to do better?

So far, I don't even know the nature of the issue. You have a computer and an external RAID. They are estranged. You think they are connected, or ought to be connected, but do not specify how they are connected. Two cans and a length of string or what? WTF do I do with that? Are they internal or external? Who knows? SATA or ethernet? No idea.

I would like to help, but I have no clue what configuration 
you have and you have not helped me help you.

Ball is in your court.

It's a new build. Here are the parts.

[Image: zXFdSBk.jpg]

Plus there is now an MSI Radeon Rx580 video card.

It's not an external Raid. The Raid drives are the 3 HGST Ultrastar drives. They are connected to SATA3_0, _1, and _2. There is nothing on the PC right now except Windows 10, and I've loaded the drivers for the video card and motherboard. The Raid was configured in the BIOS. I've updated the Intel RTS software.

I can see the drives in Windows hardware manager, but I can't see them under the disk manager. If there are specific things I can tell you let me know. It will probably be Monday before answers though because the PC is at the office.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 357 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Come on, baby, see the future with me: SixthSense Ryantology 9 4332 March 22, 2013 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Win an Internet! Tiberius 13 6453 March 16, 2012 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist