Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theocratic Ireland
Theocratic Ireland
Hi all this is my first post here but i am sure you know my country is in trouble at present with religious values and ideas being pushed on those who don’t want them. We have a blasphemy law now that will make it harder for atheists to speak freely. Atheist can be presidents or judges as they need to take a religious oath but this blasphemy law is one step to far for me. Any attention that anyone can bring to this matter is appreciated as our government will have to be belittled into retracting it. I made a video where i outlined my felling on the matter you can watch it if you want to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT66IfxOAfY
RE: Theocratic Ireland
Fucking hell mate! I've always looked up to Ireland but this is some scary shit. Did it meet any protests or something in the media?
"We came from the sea originally, now we're going back in it. Don't go in it, unless you're in a boat."
Always recall the wise words of Thomas Jefferson:

Quote:In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Horatio G. Spafford, March 17, 1814
If this was taken to EU court that law would be shut down faster than they can say "it's my religion :Sadface:"
@mrodub

Is that still going? I though the matter had been resolved by public outcry against it.

However,I'm not surprised,in a country in which condoms and divorce were illegal until quite recently because of the power of the Catholic Church .

Change can take a long time,but Ireland DOES seem to be changing for the better. Eg in the 1950's there was one priest for every 200 people in Ireland.

Context:I was brought up working-class-bog-Irish-Catholic.(with Irish clergy,in Australia). THAT is the most pig ignorant,superstitious,bigoted and hateful form of a pernicious faith,on the planet.
Why is this happening in the educated west? Are the Irish a gullible people? It is a sad day in history...
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(January 23, 2011 at 10:00 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: Why is this happening in the educated west? Are the Irish a gullible people? It is a sad day in history...

Worse, they have more Catholic influence than any other country.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
'bout time to send St Patrick BACK to Rome???

It's so sad! Angry Lynch Mob
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism Ireland denounces hateful bigot PZ Myers TheMessiah 112 15362 April 22, 2015 at 4:21 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical