Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Atheist Forums! =D
Bug 
New to Atheist Forums! =D
Hello everyone! I'm new here, as the title says.

My boyfriend, Brandon Vaughan (or other wise known as The Skeptic on here) is the one that encouraged me to join the Atheist Forums. Thanks to him introducing atheism to me and educating me about it , plus doing some research and reading of my own, I now consider myself an atheist. I have lost my faith. And It was honestly the best decision I have ever made. Its funny because before I decided that I was an atheist, I was religious and I did get "saved" and baptized, but I was never a hardcore Fundamentalist Christian or anything close to that. But I was a Baptist for a while, and I did call myself Spiritual for a pretty long time after that. But Ive noticed that since I made the switch to atheism, I have been much happier. I don't do the "right" things out of fear for a big beard man in the sky anymore. I don't pray every night because I did something "wrong". I don't fear Jesus coming back anymore , when everyone else around me is so excited for it. And most importantly , I have matured from the change and I actually even have more confidence. I even feel like I am a lot smarter now too. I'm proud to be an Atheist. Smile

Some other things about me... I really love animals, especially the primates. I also really love the sea animals too but animals in general , I really enjoy. I love science and history, my two favorite subjects. I'm not very good at math but I'm trying to learn to like it. At the moment I'm majoring in the Associates in Science program at Spartanburg Community College. I plan on transfereing to a four year college, possibly maybe University of South Carolina Upstate. But I could always change my mind, depending on what science field I stick with. I enjoy a lot of things such as reading, discovering art, watching movies, shopping, etc. I really love to travel too , and seeing different things and places. That has to be my all time favorite past time. I'm working at Family Dollar at the moment, part time. Its not the best exciting job, but it gives me an income and thats all that matters.

So that was my introduction. I'm new to this forum and it is actually my first forum that I have ever joined, so feel welcome to leave me plenty of comments and make me feel at home. I'm looking forward to making some friends!

=)

Sarah M

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan

It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream—a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought—a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!
Mark Twain

"I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human."
(David Bowie)

"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
(Hypatia of Alexandria)

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing. The child-mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can he be in after-years relieved of them. In fact, men will fight for a superstition quite as quickly as for a living truth - often more so, since a superstition is so intangible you can not get at it to refute it, but truth is a point of view, and so is changeable."
Hypatia
RE: New to Atheist Forums! =D

About time you joined the forums. I think you'll enjoy the conversations here.
It is quite the experience to have found a little bit of happiness in the world you never realized was there. The Skeptic has found himself a wonderful woman, it seems. Welcome, in any case.
Hopefully, you'll see that the people here are generally friendly.
Argumentative as atheists often are but generally friendly. There is also a very interesting dichonomy between political ideaologies here as well.
So make yourself at home.
Help yourself to the fridge.
Have a good time.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(February 11, 2011 at 3:08 am)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: It is quite the experience to have found a little bit of happiness in the world you never realized was there. The Skeptic has found himself a wonderful woman, it seems. Welcome, in any case.
Hopefully, you'll see that the people here are generally friendly.
Argumentative as atheists often are but generally friendly. There is also a very interesting dichonomy between political ideaologies here as well.
So make yourself at home.
Help yourself to the fridge.
Have a good time.

Thank you so much ! And thanks for the fridge.
Sarah M

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan

It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream—a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought—a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!
Mark Twain

(David Bowie)

"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
(Hypatia of Alexandria)

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fancies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing. The child-mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can he be in after-years relieved of them. In fact, men will fight for a superstition quite as quickly as for a living truth - often more so, since a superstition is so intangible you can not get at it to refute it, but truth is a point of view, and so is changeable."
Hypatia
This was the first forum I had ever joined too, and it's been a treat ever since - I think you'll really like it.

Huge welcome from North Carolina. I have no idea what TDoA is talking about as far as political differences... Tongue

What is your favorite marine animal?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I think these would have to be my current favorite. I like otters in general, but this is just adorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno
(February 11, 2011 at 3:37 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: This was the first forum I had ever joined too, and it's been a treat ever since - I think you'll really like it.

Huge welcome from North Carolina. I have no idea what TDoA is talking about as far as political differences... Tongue

What is your favorite marine animal?

I think my favorite marine animal would have to be the octopus and the squids, they are just so amazing. Also the sea pig. Haha. Have you heard of them? They're cute in a really strange kind of way.
Id probably like to live in NC more than where I live now , in SC. Look at the crazies from here. But I'm sure there are some crazies there too probably.

(February 11, 2011 at 9:53 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: I think these would have to be my current favorite. I like otters in general, but this is just adorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno

awe ! I love otters! I've seen this video before and it never gets old. I awe like every second haha.
Sarah M

Mark Twain

(David Bowie)

(Hypatia of Alexandria)

Hypatia
North Carolina is pretty messed up in its own fashion, but I think the general consensus is "at least we're not SC" - sorry... hehe.

Yay!! Well, not the squid, but the octopus is one of my favorites too. We started a thread about it. http://atheistforums.org/thread-5925.html

Sea pigs look like a marine naked mole rat. It might be the "so ugly it's cute" factor.
(February 11, 2011 at 11:03 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: North Carolina is pretty messed up in its own fashion, but I think the general consensus is "at least we're not SC" - sorry... hehe.

Yay!! Well, not the squid, but the octopus is one of my favorites too. We started a thread about it. http://atheistforums.org/thread-5925.html

Sea pigs look like a marine naked mole rat. It might be the "so ugly it's cute" factor.

awe that octopus was amazing ! (in the video on the thread)
The ocean and the deep ocean are so fascinating to me, most all of the animals haven't gone through much evolutionary change over all these years. Its like looking into the past. Big Grin
I read an article on how jellyfish could rule the ocean because of how all the other kinds of fishes are hunted for so much (which pisses me off). I really enjoy the gigantic jellyfishes like these:
http://www.supertightstuff.com/wp-conten...-diver.jpg

oh and yeah , lol it is better to be from NC than SC. Trust me. haha
Sarah M

Mark Twain

(David Bowie)

(Hypatia of Alexandria)

Hypatia
Welcome! Big Grin

I also adore the octopus, as well as primates. And your Carl Sagan quote is perfect, my sentiments exactly.

I've been trying to get my boyfriend to join, maybe The Skeptic will start a significant-other trend Tongue

Enjoy the forums! I'm pretty new, and this is the first forum I've joined, but it's been awesome so far.

[Image: 186305514v6_480x480_Front_Color-Black-1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3136 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Hello Forums. Nimbus 20 1918 February 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5984 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New to the Forums RiddledWithFear 24 3062 November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3481 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3311 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3053 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  New to the Forums The Incredible Atheist 27 3994 September 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New to the atheist forums MusicLovingAtheist 18 3947 September 2, 2014 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hello New to the forums lordofgemini 15 2095 March 22, 2014 at 1:49 am
Last Post: *Deidre*