Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:21 am

Poll: Welfare - are you for or against it and why?
This poll is closed.
I support it
85.71%
42 85.71%
I oppose it
14.29%
7 14.29%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Welfare - are you for or against it and why?
Heart 
Welfare - are you for or against it and why?
VOTING INSTRUCTIONS: Either you support welfare or you do not. Example: If you support official government help from tax payer money for families who need social programs like food stamps and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) but oppose people who abuse the welfare system then you would vote "I support it". If you oppose any and all forms official government social help from tax payer money then you would vote "I oppose it".

If you post on this discussion, I only ask that you vote in the poll (either before or after discussion) as well so that we can see how this strong atheist community views welfare.

Thankyou
RE: Welfare - are you for or against it and why?
I oppose welfare for all but the destitute poor and disabled, people who could work but don't shouldn't be allowed welfare, if it was a small tribe they'd be sent packing off into the wild.
Those who really truly need it, ought to get it. Those who just want it because they are very lazy, ought not to.
"If an injury must be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared" - Niccolo Macchiavelli
(February 18, 2011 at 3:20 am)theVOID Wrote: I oppose welfare for all but the destitute poor and disabled, people who could work but don't shouldn't be allowed welfare, if it was a small tribe they'd be sent packing off into the wild.

But what if there are no jobs? I work part time in a bar, I can't get any more hours there as the bar is only open at weekends. I am constantly searching and applying for full time work but after a few months I am yet to get any further than interviews. The fact is there isn't enough jobs around lately...so as I'm able to work and despite applying form any roles you think I should loose the help I get from the state to pay for my home? So I should become homeless because there are not enough jobs? hmmm.
I have been looking for work for 18 months or more!! Only ever have had three interviews out of more than 400 applications..... want to work but ???

If it was not for 'Subsistance wages' / Welfare I don't know how anyone would be able to survive.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You get a gun and steal it. Big Grin
Capitalism works by keeping pay low and keeping people out of work sometimes. It has to therefore include support for it's actions.

Welfare is run as cheaply as possible and creates loopholes. Capitalism use the examples of fraudulent claimants to garner support for reducing the amount it pays.
(February 18, 2011 at 7:49 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Capitalism works by keeping pay low and keeping people out of work sometimes. It has to therefore include support for it's actions.

Welfare is run as cheaply as possible and creates loopholes. Capitalism use the examples of fraudulent claimants to garner support for reducing the amount it pays.

This is observed ....still should there NOT be any welfare??? as ib.me.ub says ...grab a gun and go for it??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I wouldn't say there has to be welfare. I can imagine no fair system without it though.
Governments are there to uphold laws, and protect the rights of the people. They are not there to interfere with the economy and give out money to people. If there should be any welfare program, it should be run by a private charity, to ensure that the red tape of bureaucracy stays as far out of the picture as possible. Too many welfare programs waste money and don't close loopholes because they think they have a neverending supply of cash from the government; this attitude isn't prevalent in the private sector.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 419 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  IBM & JP Morgan peddle corp welfare on CBS. Brian37 0 453 September 20, 2017 at 8:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 1999 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16035 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2556 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2113 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2708 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Just another reason why I'm against guns. Foxaèr 12 1518 May 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Secular reasons for and against legalising abortion Dolorian 80 10569 October 29, 2014 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Cato
  The life of a welfare queen BrokenQuill92 34 6481 January 10, 2014 at 9:10 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor