Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Rights Section
Human Rights Section
Hello.

I would like to suggest a new section solely to discuss human rights, either historical or new.
I feel something like that would benefit the forums more.

-Winterhold
RE: Human Rights Section
I don't really think we need one, given that human rights can already be discussed under the Philosophy, Politics, News And Current Affairs, Off Topic, Religion, History, and Atheism forums.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Economics and psychology subfora, on the other hand, would enrich the forum in general greatly methinks. Brion345s recent placement of his "welfare" topic in the Politics subforum illustrates the need for the former...maybe, thinking on, one subforum called "social sciences" to contrast "physical sciences" - incorporating sociology, economics, psychology (Descartes fail but still)...hang on, I'll pull in the wikipedia definition:

Quote:Social science is the branch of science devoted to the study of societies and the relationships among individuals within those societies. The term was formerly used to refer to the field of sociology, the original "science of society", established in the 19th century. In addition to sociology, it now encompasses a wide array of academic disciplines, including anthropologyarchaeologyeconomicshuman geographylinguisticsmanagement sciencemedia studiesmusicologypolitical sciencepsychologywelfare and nursing studies[1] and .
Same objection. All of those areas you mentioned fit more or less neatly into one of the fora we already have.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
How about one for fart jokes?

Panic
You think economics neatly fits into politics @BrianSoddingBoru4 ? I don't.
(July 10, 2020 at 5:46 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Same objection. All of those areas you mentioned fit more or less neatly into one of the fora we already have.

Boru

I had a fora once, but went to the doctor, got a shot for it, and it cleared up.
(July 10, 2020 at 7:02 am)Editz Wrote: You think economics neatly fits into politics @BrianSoddingBoru4 ? I don't.

You're perfectly entitled to that opinion, of course.  But can you extricate one from the other?  In other words, since politicians are (and always have been) ranting about the economy and economists are (and always have been) either whinging or applauding government interference in the economy, aren't the two pretty much inseparable?

Boru
I would have suggested a "crazy bitch" subforum, but apparently that's called a "social media".
Dying to live, living to die.
@BrianSoddingBoru4 Politicians talk about just about everything, so you think there's no need for subfora and that all we need is a politics forum? Delete all other fora then! Reducto ad absurdum. I studies economics at university - there's a whole lot more to it than the surface skimming status quo soundbites the politicians offer, trust me. 2c tru facts. Social science subforum FTW.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the adult section? FrustratedFool 33 2664 August 26, 2023 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  [Serious] Human Rights Section: the voting topic WinterHold 64 6923 July 22, 2020 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Reasonable way for a new section to be added Foxaèr 4 907 July 15, 2020 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Porcupine
  Blog section? *Deidre* 112 14213 May 12, 2018 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Which would be the appropriate section for certain movie discussions Astonished 2 1251 January 2, 2017 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Donald Trump section in the forum. paulpablo 18 1984 December 1, 2016 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Adding a "Life Stories" section to the forum Heat 7 1847 December 2, 2015 at 2:22 am
Last Post: Heat
  Rant section DIRTY_DEEDS_93 2 1176 March 23, 2015 at 2:48 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Economics section? Something completely different 6 2403 September 29, 2013 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Vote - Sports Section Rayaan 59 14073 September 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: festive1