Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the old farts who pay their bills w/live people.
For the old farts who pay their bills w/live people.
Yea, call me an old fart. I hate automated push button phone prompts, and while voice command is better than it has been, I don't do anything financially on line.

But even outside paying bills, say out shopping or at a restaurant, the standard line from staff is, "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

The standard line from the customer is, "No, I am fine", or "Can I get a doggie bag for this?"

My favorite line paying voice to voice on the phone with a live person when they ask me, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" I love to respond, "Can you get me a date with Angelina Jolie?" I always get a laugh with that line. 

What other line have you or would you use after paying for a service in person or over the phone when the employee asks you if there is anything else?
RE: For the old farts who pay their bills w/live people.
If someone asks for my birthday I tell them they can have it, I'll get a newer one.

OR

"Jan. 0, 0000, or so Mom said. I was very young when I born so I have to take her word for it." (Date redacted 'cause I don't trust you, you and you.)
I don’t do live bill pay, but when someone on the phone asks if they can do anything else for me, I usually say something like, ‘No, thank you. You’ve been very helpful.’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I always ask them their general location, and the weather. Most are more than happy to have a somewhat more "personal" conversation. Plus, most seem to have an attitude that since *I* started it, it's OK for them to chat as long as I like. I've had some interesting convos with strangers from across the country that way.

Life's short.
Disappointing theists since 1968!
(September 23, 2020 at 1:47 am)A. Secular Human Wrote: I always ask them their general location, and the weather.  Most are more than happy to have a somewhat more "personal" conversation.  Plus, most seem to have an attitude that since *I* started it, it's OK for them to chat as long as I like.  I've had some interesting convos with strangers from across the country that way.

Life's short.

I have never worked in a call center. But just like in person counter interaction with stressed out workers, they love it when you crack a joke to let them know they have a stressful job. 

My best friend briefly moved from Oklahoma to Denver and got a job at a satellite TV provider. Those companies advertise like everything is cheap and you can watch billions of channels for nothing, but rely on the hope of the consumers falling for cheap, but know they will forget about the fine print. When he told me he got a job there, I knew he was going to hate it because he has empathy for others. 

Even in person brick and mortar in person stores, lots of giant corporations cut labor, and expect the employee to perform as super heros, and they really don't care if they pit the customer against the low level employee, when the business model and CEO marketing is what the real issue is.

Point is, when I deal with call centers in person, just like having dealt with customers in a snow storm or hurricane, having worked pizza delivery, I really try to put the employee at ease and try to brighten their day with a silly joke. I think I got that mentality from the TV show MASH.  BJ and Hawkeye took their jobs seriously, but they also knew that the higher ups were the ones pulling the strings and sometimes those higher ups simply were so disconnected from what the low level employees went through, they had to use humor to cope.

Having been yelled at as a low level employee countless times, over things that were beyond my control, when I deal with those, especially where a bill is involved, be it private or even public utility bill, I know that these poor folks get shit more often than not for things that are not their fault. So if you can crack a joke to cut the tension, it helps them get through the day.
I just re-read the title of this post and I can say that paying with live people is very difficult...

they don't fit in my wallet as well as money does! /dadjoke
(September 23, 2020 at 11:39 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I just re-read the title of this post and I can say that paying with live people is very difficult...

I was temporarily in Charleston, South Carolina, "a few years ago", and visited a building they had carefully preserved, the old slave mart.
(September 23, 2020 at 12:01 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(September 23, 2020 at 11:39 am)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I just re-read the title of this post and I can say that paying with live people is very difficult...

I was temporarily in Charleston, South Carolina, "a few years ago", and visited a building they had carefully preserved, the old slave mart.

Reminiscing about the days of old.
(September 23, 2020 at 7:22 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 23, 2020 at 1:47 am)A. Secular Human Wrote: I always ask them their general location, and the weather.  Most are more than happy to have a somewhat more "personal" conversation.  Plus, most seem to have an attitude that since *I* started it, it's OK for them to chat as long as I like.  I've had some interesting convos with strangers from across the country that way.

Life's short.

I have never worked in a call center. But just like in person counter interaction with stressed out workers, they love it when you crack a joke to let them know they have a stressful job. 

My best friend briefly moved from Oklahoma to Denver and got a job at a satellite TV provider. Those companies advertise like everything is cheap and you can watch billions of channels for nothing, but rely on the hope of the consumers falling for cheap, but know they will forget about the fine print. When he told me he got a job there, I knew he was going to hate it because he has empathy for others. 

Even in person brick and mortar in person stores, lots of giant corporations cut labor, and expect the employee to perform as super heros, and they really don't care if they pit the customer against the low level employee, when the business model and CEO marketing is what the real issue is.

Point is, when I deal with call centers in person, just like having dealt with customers in a snow storm or hurricane, having worked pizza delivery, I really try to put the employee at ease and try to brighten their day with a silly joke. I think I got that mentality from the TV show MASH.  BJ and Hawkeye took their jobs seriously, but they also knew that the higher ups were the ones pulling the strings and sometimes those higher ups simply were so disconnected from what the low level employees went through, they had to use humor to cope.

Having been yelled at as a low level employee countless times, over things that were beyond my control, when I deal with those, especially where a bill is involved, be it private or even public utility bill, I know that these poor folks get shit more often than not for things that are not their fault. So if you can crack a joke to cut the tension, it helps them get through the day.

I've always had a lot of empathy for customer service people.  After working paper routes from 12-16 years old, I got a "real" job in a retail discount store.  In addition to running a cash register, schlepping carts, and selling patio furniture, I regularly worked the "Courtesy Desk" for returns and complaints.  I was good at it, so mgt put me there often.  We'd get the occasional asshole, but for the most part, my friendly, smiling demeanor would disarm people coming in expecting conflict.

As for the assholes, I got pretty good at saying "fuck you very much" quickly, with a sincere-looking smile, and in such a fashion that they were never sure what I said, because it was so close to "thank you very much".  The workers on the registers closest to me looked forward to my days "on the desk", because they knew it would be entertaining.

Heck, it made everybody's day go by more quickly, which is what it's all about, in retail.  I actually savor those days.

"Work" is what you make of it...no matter what you do.  This philosophy served me well through careers in R&D Engineering (15 yrs) and teaching high school chem and physics (20 yrs).  I retired at 58 before the lamentable decline I observed far too many other teachers (and students!) suffer.

If I was a religious person, I'd probably say I was blessed, but it really came down to a life of good, honest work.

I'd be fine with dying tomorrow...but I'd rather not.  Living is too much fucking fun!
Disappointing theists since 1968!
When customer service actually MEANT something:

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Record for live ferrets in pants SimpleCaveman 0 369 January 26, 2024 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: SimpleCaveman
  Can Norway Ever Truly Pay For Its Sins? BrianSoddingBoru4 9 576 December 7, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  That Pay Thread The Valkyrie 10 537 August 5, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Duty
  You have 48 hours to live! The Valkyrie 27 2811 April 30, 2020 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Live in" Brian37 16 941 December 24, 2019 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Reincarnate with me if you want to live.... Brian37 0 339 May 2, 2019 at 9:24 am
  SNL Farts & Fiends spoof with Orange asshat. Brian37 4 738 February 4, 2018 at 12:27 pm
  People are officially having sex with their mobile phones Fake Messiah 10 1389 February 4, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What Would Men Do Without Their Loving Wives? Rhondazvous 14 2524 July 26, 2015 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Phrases to Live By Allnewoutlook 22 2934 December 29, 2014 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Allnewoutlook