Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea level rise in 3 to 5 years.
Sea level rise in 3 to 5 years.
Found this alarming.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/anta...te-5-years

Quote:The demise of a West Antarctic glacier poses the world’s biggest threat to raise sea levels before 2100 — and an ice shelf that’s holding it back from the sea could collapse within three to five years, scientists reported December 13 at the American Geophysical Union’s fall meeting in New Orleans.

That said I haven't changed any of my carbon producing habits. I also think it is silly to put the burden on individuals. Anyone have plans for how to weather the impending water world?
"I'm thick." - Me
RE: Sea level rise in 3 to 5 years.
Catastrophic climate change is something that we, as a species, have decided to collectively ignore, with a few exceptions. For instance, Al Gore's second movie did far worse than did his first. In my opinion, there exists within the financial markets unstoppable pressure to maximize the flow of capital that individuals, if they wish to remain employed and keep their homes and cars, have no choice but to participate in the world capitalistic system, and right now, the burning of fossil fuels is the lowest cost and most efficient way to maximize capital, which is why we continue to do it, at least until the environmental bubble bursts.
(January 2, 2022 at 6:35 am)Jehanne Wrote: Catastrophic climate change is something that we, as a species, have decided to collectively ignore, with a few exceptions.  For instance, Al Gore's second movie did far worse than did his first.  In my opinion, there exists within  the financial markets unstoppable pressure to maximize the flow of capital that individuals, if they wish to remain employed  and keep their homes and cars, have no choice but to participate in the world capitalistic system, and right now, the burning of fossil fuels is the lowest cost and most efficient way to maximize capital, which is why we continue to do it, at least until the environmental bubble bursts.

Well durr. I mean, duh. Do you have any personal plans to deal with it? Like heading for the hills and what now?
"I'm thick." - Me
(January 2, 2022 at 6:40 am)Goosebump Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 6:35 am)Jehanne Wrote: Catastrophic climate change is something that we, as a species, have decided to collectively ignore, with a few exceptions.  For instance, Al Gore's second movie did far worse than did his first.  In my opinion, there exists within  the financial markets unstoppable pressure to maximize the flow of capital that individuals, if they wish to remain employed  and keep their homes and cars, have no choice but to participate in the world capitalistic system, and right now, the burning of fossil fuels is the lowest cost and most efficient way to maximize capital, which is why we continue to do it, at least until the environmental bubble bursts.

Well durr. I mean, duh. Do you have any personal plans to deal with it? Like heading for the hills and what now?

I live in Iowa, and have no where else to go. We'll probably see more floods along the Cedar River (which is 2 miles from my home), Derechos, tornados and heavy snowstorms (like we got yesterday), etc. I just hope that my home survives; some within a few blocks of mine have gotten destroyed (but, new homes have gotten rebuilt in their place).
(January 2, 2022 at 9:46 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 6:40 am)Goosebump Wrote: Well durr. I mean, duh. Do you have any personal plans to deal with it? Like heading for the hills and what now?

I live in Iowa, and have no where else to go.  We'll probably see more floods along the Cedar River (which is 2 miles from my home),  Derechos, tornados and heavy snowstorms (like we got yesterday), etc.  I just hope that my home survives; some within a few blocks of mine have gotten destroyed (but, new homes have gotten rebuilt in their place).

No bureau of land management saying not to rebuild? Nobody out there advising on flood plans or levies? No city plan to protect the community from a rise in river water come the next 100 let alone 50 years? Sounds like you need to get active in your community. Or find and aid what action there is there.

If there is any part of your community at or under 1.5 feet, or about a half a meter, above sea level you need to take some kind of action to protect it, relocate it or abandon it responsibly. aka: leaving no toxins that could leach into ground water.

(January 2, 2022 at 9:46 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 6:40 am)Goosebump Wrote: Well durr. I mean, duh. Do you have any personal plans to deal with it? Like heading for the hills and what now?

I live in Iowa, and have no where else to go.  We'll probably see more floods along the Cedar River (which is 2 miles from my home),  Derechos, tornados and heavy snowstorms (like we got yesterday), etc.  I just hope that my home survives; some within a few blocks of mine have gotten destroyed (but, new homes have gotten rebuilt in their place).

I am a bit of a shit meteorologist. I don't really understand much of their nomenclature. But if I am seeing the maps right, the Cider River will be in action or flood stage always after a 1.5 or 2 foot increase in measure. So whatever that means for the houses and businesses near it. For example in my own area the New Hope community (super fucking rich people, alot of pharma execs) has secured state and federal funding for all property lost due to flooding in those areas. Mean while my sister and her family can't get a reassessment on their state engineered flume to ensure their property.

While that is a personal example it is evident of the larger problem with climate change. The winners prior to climate change, that benefited from creating it, are setting themselves up to be the winners during catastrophic climate change. Nothing is being done about that.
"I'm thick." - Me
The article I read talked about the ice shelf collapse in 5 years and then a rapid decline in the Thwaites Glacier over the next 40 years raising sea levels around the world 65 cm.

The real damage comes from the collapse of the other nearby glaciers in 60 years time. That combined effect could raise sea levels by several meters.

This rise would effect New York City, Mumbai, Toyko and many island countries.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(January 2, 2022 at 1:24 am)Goosebump Wrote: Found this alarming.

Quote:The demise of a West Antarctic glacier poses the world’s biggest threat to raise sea levels before 2100 — and an ice shelf that’s holding it back from the sea could collapse within three to five years, scientists reported December 13 at the American Geophysical Union’s fall meeting in New Orleans.

That said I haven't changed any of my carbon producing habits. I also think it is silly to put the burden on individuals. Anyone have plans for how to weather the impending water world?

It’s even sillier NOT to put the burden on individuals. Do you seriously believe that the industries that most contribute to carbon emissions are going to stop doing so out of the goodness of their corporate hearts? *chuckle snort guffaw*

The ONLY thing these entities respond to is economic pressure. As long as consumer demand for fossil fuels remains high, they’re going to go right on belching carbon and whistling all the way to the bank. And don’t depend on government action to force them to behave themselves - far too many lawmakers have been bought and paid for by energy companies and other polluters.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 2, 2022 at 6:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 1:24 am)Goosebump Wrote: Found this alarming.

It’s even sillier NOT to put the burden on individuals. Do you seriously believe that the industries that most contribute to carbon emissions are going to stop doing so out of the goodness of their corporate hearts? *chuckle snort guffaw*

The ONLY thing these entities respond to is economic pressure. As long as consumer demand for fossil fuels remains high, they’re going to go right on belching carbon and whistling all the way to the bank. And don’t depend on government action to force them to behave themselves - far too many lawmakers have been bought and paid for by energy companies and other polluters.

Boru

I get Goosebump's point, though. I agree with Boru that individuals have a burden to bear, but I'm reminded of a professor who refused to use disposable coffee filters. He also insisted on electronic handouts. The guy was passionate. I bet the paper and/or plastic he used in a year was very small.

But i also remember working in a warehouse. There was so much waste there. I'm not counting the stuff that was sent of for recycling (the vast majority of it). But even the fraction of plastic/cardboard that went in the trash each day was at least a dumpster-full. It makes sense to pressure industry more than individuals. But, yeah, the efforts of many individuals can add up too.
(January 2, 2022 at 6:50 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(January 2, 2022 at 6:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s even sillier NOT to put the burden on individuals. Do you seriously believe that the industries that most contribute to carbon emissions are going to stop doing so out of the goodness of their corporate hearts? *chuckle snort guffaw*

Boru

I get Goosebump's point, though. I agree with Boru that individuals have a burden to bear, but I'm reminded of a professor who refused to use disposable coffee filters. He also insisted on electronic handouts. The guy was passionate. I bet the paper and/or plastic he used in a year was very small.

But i also remember working in a warehouse. There was so much waste there. I'm not counting the stuff that was sent of for recycling (the vast majority of it). But even the fraction of plastic/cardboard that went in the trash each day was at least a dumpster-full. It makes sense to pressure industry more than individuals. But, yeah, the efforts of many individuals can add up too.

It’s both - serious efforts by individuals is what will pressure industry.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Just means my house will finally have a pool.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How low will it go? (The Artic Sea ice, that is..) Jehanne 3 482 February 11, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Arctic Sea ice now declining a month ahead of normal. Jehanne 5 909 April 12, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  You're eight years for 80 years old no michaelgriffin814 1 942 May 12, 2015 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Alex K
  130,000 years ago? Even Neandertal Fucks the Creatards Minimalist 23 6856 April 13, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Humans in S America 22000 Years Ago? thesummerqueen 29 13124 May 13, 2013 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  120 Million Years Ago...not 6,000 Minimalist 4 2573 March 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Loch Ness is giant "spirit level" frankiej 8 3608 January 7, 2012 at 4:25 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding
  Modern Humans in Britain 40,000+ years ago Minimalist 10 2932 November 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman