Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPU/CPU Fan speed.
CPU/CPU Fan speed.
Is it better for the fans (NOT THE UNDERLYING CHIP) to run at a constant speed or a variable speed dependent upon the temp of the chip?

Basically I want to know if it is better for me to run my fans at 80% speed from 50 to 60c temp, rather than running a variable speed from those same temps from a 40% fan speed to a 100% speed. Meaning the fans change speeds dependent upon the temperature.

The result in real time in my rig is the GPU runs a little hotter on average when the fans are locked at 80%. AKA: 80% = 56C top temp and average temp at 55C while gaming.

When I run the variable fans the temp is largely the same. But it dips lower. So the top temp is 55C and the average temp is 54c. On paper that looks like the better option. However to make that happen requires the fans to be shifting speeds almost constantly. As the fan curve is set from 50c to 60c. So the fan runs anywhere from 70% to 85%. Adjusting on the fly to accommodate the GPU temp.

Thus my question. Is this going to reduce the longevity of my fan system? Does running at a consistent rpm longer provide longevity or does it not matter and running variable speeds have limited effect on longevity?
"I'm thick." - Me
RE: CPU/CPU Fan speed.
Use Core Temp to monitor your temps. A CPU, or any other piece of electronics, runs just fine, as long as its parameters, such as temperatures, voltages, etc., remain within the limits stated by the manufacturer on the device's datasheet. Use active versus passive cooling; you'll get better performance.

In short, you can run your CPU, GPU, fans, etc., at max, all day and night; you'll just end up spending a few hundred dollars extra every year on your electric bill and contribute to greater greenhouse gas emissions.

P.S. This thread should be moved to the Computing section.
Your wish is my command.

Administrator Notice
Thread moved to more appropriate subforum.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I've been building computers for over 20 years and I don't think that I've seen more than a couple fan failures in that time.

The difference you're looking at is negligible, so it's simply a matter of personal choice.

* That being said, when I replace stock fans, I buy higher quality fans. I just replaced the 140 mm Coolermaster stock exhaust fan in my case with a BeQuiet! Pure Wings 2 fan.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Read an article
Fan speed does not matter that much. Wear from running should be the weakest link, no matter at which speed. Since switching your fan off completely (at times) is not an option, you cant do much.

What wears out your CPU however is heat. Semiconductors age exponentially with temperature. Ca. 1/2 lifetime every 20K afaik. I do however not know what the specific lifetime of a consumer electronics semiconductor is*. So keeping your CPU as cool as possible in general would be a good idea. CPUs are expensive, fans not so much.

*if, lets say its 20y at 40C, than its a non issue as well.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone know the bandwidth of the Switch and Wii U CPU's? Mechaghostman2 1 375 March 11, 2020 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Can an 32-bit OS run on multiple 64-bit CPU cores? FlatAssembler 19 2463 March 5, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Anyone Here Done Over-Clocking a CPU? AFTT47 22 3435 April 8, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2610 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Internet speed, 2015 bennyboy 128 17411 April 22, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Internet Speed [2014 edition :P] Marsellus Wallace 69 11275 January 27, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Broadband speed test Darwinian 3 1838 April 18, 2014 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  What is a normal CPU range for total usage? Brian37 9 1935 December 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What's your broadband speed? Darwinian 138 31736 December 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Mothonis
  Reliable internet speed test? Oldandeasilyconfused 8 5308 April 17, 2012 at 11:30 am
Last Post: venmalathy