Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about atheist population
Question about atheist population
Hi again all. Not sure where to post this to specifically here so please just move it to the right section, might belong in the skepticism section I would think. I was told by someone that there are more atheists now than ever all over the world and most people are atheists now. Is this true? This made me a bit skeptical. I think there may be some misinformation  here. From what I have learned on the net over the years, studying some history as well as thinking about it, atheists and even agnostics as well as other non believers or people not religious have always been very few people, a very small minority or margin of the population. especially in America and third world countries. If it's true that there are more atheists then ever now I would think all that means is that we are still a minority, just more then before since the worlds population has greatly increased and the world is now overpopulated with more of the religious and baleivers so we are still a very small minority.
RE: Question about atheist population
Definitely not true. What IS true is that an ever-increasing percentage of Americans select the category of "None" when asked to identify which religion they follow. They are not a majority but I believe they are larger than any individual Christian sect now.

Good news but it's sometimes exaturated.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Check out pewresearch.org for data on the nones
"When you get the message, hang up the phone" --Alan Watts on enlightenment. Levitate
About 9% of Americans answer 'no' to the question 'Do you believe there's a God' and about 3% identify as atheists in polls.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Less than half of England and Wales population Christian, Census 2021 shows Duty 28 1600 December 3, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Planned Parenthood against the black population Foxaèr 68 8869 August 26, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  UK Prision Population: Who Is The Most "Moral"? ReptilianPeon 8 2097 March 18, 2015 at 3:27 am
Last Post: jesus_wept