Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When You DON’T Live In A Dystopian Hellscape
When You DON’T Live In A Dystopian Hellscape
This was the top story in the politics section of my local newspaper yesterday:

New Zealand Should Be More Friendly To Backpackers

Quote:Speaking at the Tourism Export Council, Stuart Nash said the country's tourism needed to attract "discerning travellers" and not those travelling on a shoestring.

National's tourism spokesperson Todd McClay is demanding the minister withdraw his comments, which he said were damaging to the sector, still struggling from the effects of Covid.

So, while the US is dealing with a FPOTUS who stole classified information, we’re fretting about tourist equality.

We win.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: When You DON’T Live In A Dystopian Hellscape
Local service station had freedom campers stopped overnight in the staff car park.

Apparently they emptied their sewage into the carpark.

That's the sort of tourists no one needs.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 14, 2022 at 6:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This was the top story in the politics section of my local newspaper yesterday:

New Zealand Should Be More Friendly To Backpackers

Quote:Speaking at the Tourism Export Council, Stuart Nash said the country's tourism needed to attract "discerning travellers" and not those travelling on a shoestring.

National's tourism spokesperson Todd McClay is demanding the minister withdraw his comments, which he said were damaging to the sector, still struggling from the effects of Covid.

So, while the US is dealing with a FPOTUS who stole classified information, we’re fretting about tourist equality.

We win.

Boru
Truth  Great
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(August 14, 2022 at 6:31 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

I consider myself a discerning traveller.  Perhaps I should give Oz a try!
Discerning Traveler == Rich Traveler?
(August 14, 2022 at 2:05 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Discerning Traveler == Rich Traveler?

Yup. He wants people who stay at hotels, not hostels.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 14, 2022 at 2:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 14, 2022 at 2:05 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Discerning Traveler == Rich Traveler?

Boru

The folks Down Under are just as greedy as the rest of Us.
(August 14, 2022 at 2:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

We' re at at The Drury in Milwakee - after bringing the car across the lake on a ferry. Then we hit an Irish pub for lunch.

You could spend a month in a.hostel for what we spent so far today.
(August 14, 2022 at 2:41 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(August 14, 2022 at 2:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yup. He wants people who stay at hotels, not hostels.

Boru

The folks Down Under are just as greedy as the rest of Us.

Which is exactly why dissing the backpacker crowd is a bad idea. Tourism generates about $30 billion a year for us, and hikers, campers and backpackers are responsible for almost 60% of that.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3941 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Damned if you do, damned if you don't. onlinebiker 37 2516 August 7, 2019 at 5:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Did Trump bomb Syria to back up his live tweets on Fox & Friends on 4/10? Whateverist 1 502 April 18, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Yeah, yeah. Don't Let The Door Hit You In The Ass On The Way Out Minimalist 0 628 March 31, 2018 at 12:51 am
  Why Don't You Go Jump Off A Bridge Minimalist 5 1649 March 25, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Have you ever lived anywhere else besides where you live now? Whateverist 55 14665 July 4, 2017 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Anyone else live in Arizona and tired of the political culture NuclearEnergy 13 3436 April 22, 2017 at 10:15 pm
  I Never Thought I'd Live To See This Minimalist 11 2083 October 27, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Would you rather live under communism or fascism? Aegon 2 875 October 5, 2016 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Live stream of Dem Convention. Brian37 171 17132 July 29, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37