Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Letting Go of God"
"Letting Go of God"
Has anyone here watched this whole thing? It's a monologue from Julia Sweeney, who used to be on SNL, about her journey out of Catholicism and belief in general. She's quite a storyteller. Here's the first of like 13 parts and available "officially" here.

Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
RE: "Letting Go of God"
I have seen this movie about 3 times and it gets better and better everytime I see it. She really touches home with me. Let my children watch it.
(April 3, 2011 at 6:32 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I have seen this movie about 3 times and it gets better and better everytime I see it. She really touches home with me. Let my children watch it.

It's very heartening account.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
I found part of it in an episode of This American Life (covering her Bible Study class and her deconversion), and eventually listened to the full thing in audio form. Now that the video is on youtube, I should watch it one of these days.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fear of letting go? SlowCalculations 18 2034 June 3, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
Video Julia Sweeney - Letting Go Of God (VIDEO) Woody68 1 1398 April 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Letting Go of God Tabby 11 5789 May 30, 2009 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Tabby