Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seems strange to me
Seems strange to me
How human existence is fundamentally based on lust, like none of us would even be here if our parents had not wanted to fuck each other, and yet religion (pretty much all of them) has such a stick up its ass about the fact that people have sex. Religion is anti-lust and anti-offspring.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: Seems strange to me
Us???
(August 23, 2023 at 7:40 am)Ahriman Wrote: How human existence is fundamentally based on lust, like none of us would even be here if our parents had not wanted to fuck each other, and yet religion (pretty much all of them) has such a stick up its ass about the fact that people have sex. Religion is anti-lust and anti-offspring.

Do you mean generally speaking? Or in the absolute sense?

What about in the case of rape? Or IVF? Or just having sex without the experience of lust?
(August 23, 2023 at 7:40 am)Ahriman Wrote: How human existence is fundamentally based on lust, like none of us would even be here if our parents had not wanted to fuck each other, and yet religion (pretty much all of them) has such a stick up its ass about the fact that people have sex. Religion is anti-lust and anti-offspring.

Why does that seem strange to you? Religion, at the end of the day, is all about control. One of the most basic methods to achieve this is to make people feel bad about things they shouldn’t.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

You're right that lust is a powerful drive. Maybe the most powerful in people. 

That's why different groups work so hard to control it -- because it's so easy to mess up your own life or the lives of others when your lust gets out of control. 

Most religions are not anti-offspring. Go forth and multiply. Sex is a good thing when channelled properly. 

Not only religions worry about misguided sex. The whole Me Too movement has been raising awareness of the ubiquity of sexual harassment in the workplace, and working to decrease tolerance for the kind of thing that used to be way more common. This is a social movement, not religious.
We are lumbering robots driven by the selfish gene to reproduce.

And besides, sex can feel good. Not the greatest pleasure, but pretty good nonetheless.

As for why many religions (and society in general) seek to control it, that's likely tied into its danger - childbirth used to be very dangerous, STDs too, and abuse, rape, and jealousy, and the cost of raising children, and so on. Can't really have a society with rampant lust - it'd crumble quickly.

Of course, modern science has given us the ability to mitigate many of the dangers of sex, and so we can be far more free. Remove the social stigmas and religious injunctions and we could have more sexual.pleasure than ever before.

For me personally, so long as you don't break the line of informed consent be free to do whatever you want sexually.
It doesn't practically work like that. At least I don't think it does.

There's lots of religions that emphasise having large families and lots of children.

Atheist communities have the lowest birthrates. Think about Mormons and Muslims.

I know when I got my girlfriend at the time pregnant any non religious person I knew didnt really give a fuck. Every single Muslim I knew didn't even ask about the circumstances and just congratulated me like I'd accomplished something amazing.

A Muslim couple without kids, who aren't trying for kids is something I've never even heard of but pretty common among atheists.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Yes, good shout, many religions seem to be OK for women to run the danger of childbirth in order to benefit from large numbers of children.

Danger was less about harm to women and more about social cohesion from avoiding jealousy inspired violence etc. Or ideas of spiritual danger. Weird stuff.
Be fruitful and multiply.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ever been treated this way? Strange Vague Story. Disagreeable 18 1179 January 31, 2022 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  It's a little bit strange to....... Cod 8 1858 July 7, 2019 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Britain can be a bit strange! zebo-the-fat 37 3018 January 5, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Question about ouija boards after strange experience Arsoo 110 18120 October 6, 2017 at 3:42 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Strange things sold on Amazon Joods 7 1732 August 22, 2016 at 2:09 am
Last Post: rado84
  Alcohol is strange Edwardo Piet 31 2782 April 16, 2016 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Really Strange and Funny Comedy Sketch Edwardo Piet 0 702 November 12, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  So It Seems the Anti-Vax Crowd Minimalist 74 11179 February 12, 2015 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Strider
  Selena Gomez is not as classy as she seems Yahweh 33 6440 December 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Richard Dawkins does a Strange Esquilax 10 2497 June 26, 2013 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut