Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SCOTUS Chronicles
The SCOTUS Chronicles
I had a this with this title over at AD because I like discussing the decisions and matters in front of the court. I didn't see a similar thread here, so started this one. If I simply missed an extant thread, staff, please merge.

Onto business (quite literally in this case), here's an op-ed about Clarence Thomas's ongoing drip of revelations of corruption:

Quote:On Thursday, with Labor Day weekend approaching, news broke the way it can when political insiders want to get out an unflattering story when most people aren’t paying attention. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas had filed multiple corrections of his repeated errors in the financial reporting forms that the 1978 Ethics in Government Act requires.

There’s something curious about the amended form. It features substantial explanation of Thomas’s private flights, but nothing about yacht trips and other exotic vacations. It seems likely that this story doesn’t end with last Thursday’s amended financial disclosure form from Thomas.

For now, Thomas’s amended report disclosed three 2022 private plane trips paid for by conservative billionaire Harlan Crow and a stay in 2022 at Crow’s Adirondack mega-lodge. Thomas also amended prior years’ reports. He has now confirmed the 2014 sale to Crow of Thomas’s mother’s home, where she continues to live, first reported on Aug. 10 by ProPublica. In addition, there were amendments for a previously unreported life insurance policy and bank account.

It's worth reading the rest of the article, which can be found here. That sort of gifting never comes without strings attached.

RE: The SCOTUS Chronicles
(September 6, 2023 at 3:03 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I had a this with this title over at AD because I like discussing the decisions and matters in front of the court. I didn't see a similar thread here, so started this one. If I simply missed an extant thread, staff, please merge.

Onto business (quite literally in this case), here's an op-ed about Clarence Thomas's ongoing drip of revelations of corruption:

Quote:On Thursday, with Labor Day weekend approaching, news broke the way it can when political insiders want to get out an unflattering story when most people aren’t paying attention. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas had filed multiple corrections of his repeated errors in the financial reporting forms that the 1978 Ethics in Government Act requires.

There’s something curious about the amended form. It features substantial explanation of Thomas’s private flights, but nothing about yacht trips and other exotic vacations. It seems likely that this story doesn’t end with last Thursday’s amended financial disclosure form from Thomas.

For now, Thomas’s amended report disclosed three 2022 private plane trips paid for by conservative billionaire Harlan Crow and a stay in 2022 at Crow’s Adirondack mega-lodge. Thomas also amended prior years’ reports. He has now confirmed the 2014 sale to Crow of Thomas’s mother’s home, where she continues to live, first reported on Aug. 10 by ProPublica. In addition, there were amendments for a previously unreported life insurance policy and bank account.

It's worth reading the rest of the article, which can be found here. That sort of gifting never comes without strings attached.

I didn’t realize SC justices were so expensive. I read that you can buy a US representative for around 300K.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 6, 2023 at 3:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I didn’t realize SC justices were so expensive. I read that you can buy a US representative for around 300K.

Boru

Being unelected, with lifetime tenure, and not bound to a legally-enforceable code of ethics, they can charge on a higher scale.

Still remarkably cheap compared to the advantages their decisions offer. Citizens united was a bought decision, I don't think that anyone doubts that more money has flowed since than it took to open those gates.

A few luxury vacays and yacht trips? I do that shit every year and I'm poor. These guys aren't really even asking alot for the dismantling of the us - it's a bargain. That's the real shame. Then again, the people we're talking about would do it for free, so.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas attended at least two donor events for the Koch network, according to a ProPublica report published Friday.

Thomas in 2018 went to a private dinner for donors at the group’s annual summit in California and was brought in to speak with the hopes that the access would encourage donations, according to the report.

Charles and David Koch over the years built an influence network that poured millions into conservative and libertarian causes. David Koch died in 2019.

Thomas did not disclose the trip to the summit on his annual financial disclosure, though ProPublica did not identify who paid for the private jet flight.

A Koch network spokesperson told the outlet that the network, known as Stand Together, did not pay for the flight. The spokesperson also attacked the report as “advocacy journalism intended to discredit and undermine the Supreme Court.”

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-bat...ropublica/

These ratfuckers have the nerve to be indignant they got caught.

(September 6, 2023 at 3:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 6, 2023 at 3:03 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I had a this with this title over at AD because I like discussing the decisions and matters in front of the court. I didn't see a similar thread here, so started this one. If I simply missed an extant thread, staff, please merge.

I didn’t realize SC justices were so expensive. I read that you can buy a US representative for around 300K.

Boru

You can buy the whole Republican party for the price of one Trump. Just ask Putin.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 22, 2023 at 12:36 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(September 6, 2023 at 3:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I didn’t realize SC justices were so expensive. I read that you can buy a US representative for around 300K.

Boru

You can buy the whole Republican party for the price of one Trump. Just ask Putin.

If so much as the local dogcatcher is running unopposed and "leans Republican" I'll write my own name on the ballot.
Quote:Fifty House Democrats on Wednesday called on Justice Clarence Thomas to recuse himself from a major upcoming Supreme Court case after a report detailed the justice’s visits to Koch network events.

ProPublica reported Friday that Thomas attended a private dinner for donors at the network’s annual summit in California in 2018 and participated in at least one other event.

In their letter, the lawmakers take aim at how attorneys linked to the Koch network are representing the plaintiffs in a major Supreme Court case this upcoming term with major impacts on the future of executive agencies’ power.

“But there is no question that your lengthy relationship with the Kochs, including your participation in donor retreats for the Koch network, requires recusal in the upcoming case that the Koch network has teed up in an attempt to overturn Chevron,” the lawmakers wrote.

The case, Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo, asks the justices to overturn the so-called Chevron deference, which for nearly four decades has given agencies wide authority to implement regulations.

Under the Chevron deference, if Congress is ambiguous or silent on an issue, courts must uphold an agency’s action if it was “based on a permissible construction of the statute.”

Overturning Chevron would take a sledgehammer to agency power and their ability to issue environment, health and other types of regulations without clearer authorization from Congress.

“Here, the Kochs — political activists that you have personally helped fundraise for and personally financially benefited from while their crusade to overturn Chevron was public and well-known — are a party to this case,” the lawmakers wrote.

“If you do not recognize that your behavior disqualifies you from ruling on such a consequential case and you do not recuse yourself, it will do irreparable harm to the Court’s credibility and to the public’s faith in the impartial rulings of the entire federal judiciary,” they continued.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-bat...work-ties/

I doubt he'll recuse -- the Kochs will demand ROI.

<edit, wrong thread>

He recognizes that his behavior is germane to the case, and that's why he will not recuse.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brett Kavanaugh, the new SCOTUS liberal? Jehanne 6 1849 December 14, 2018 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Maybe Kavanaugh will be the next liberal SCOTUS judge?? Jehanne 10 1371 October 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  SCOTUS Invites Republicunts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 11 2184 February 6, 2018 at 8:42 pm
  Trump summons final two SCOTUS nominees Cecelia 23 3272 February 3, 2017 at 1:22 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  SCOTUS and civics. Brian37 21 1500 June 24, 2016 at 11:28 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Trump's SCOTUS Picks AFTT47 29 2232 May 19, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  SCOTUS Tells Arizona and Kansas to Go Fuck Themselves. Minimalist 6 1811 June 29, 2015 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  SCOTUS to hear same sex marriage case popeyespappy 16 4704 December 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm