Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How connected to your heritage do you feel?
How connected to your heritage do you feel?
Do you feel connected to your heritage?
RE: How connected to your heritage do you feel?
Nope.

Could not give even a single flying fuck!
In the interest of keeping this short because I should probably be going to bed soon, here's a post I made five years ago basically covering my heritage in food pics. The two I'm most connected to are, ironically, the largest (German: 40.5%) and the smallest (Britain, 3.125%) nationalities.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
My heritage is the lens through which I view everything. So...a little connected, yeah.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Rarely think about it
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(November 8, 2023 at 6:02 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: My heritage is the lens through which I view everything. So...a little connected, yeah.

Boru

Can you expand, please?
I'm directly descended from eight couples who left Ireland around 1890. (Never looked up the exact date, not something I worry about.)

I have no interest in visiting the old country, and the most blatantly obvious thing about me is my temper. I do (did) like a good fight.

Erin go Bragh! Or something.
(November 8, 2023 at 7:56 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Rarely think about it

Do you think you might gain something from thinking about it more?
Not much. My paternal grandfather came to the US from Germany. He was the only one of a large family to do so. He didn't talk about why he left and was pretty stoic so I don't know that anyone in the family (here in the US) ever knew the reason(s). My paternal grandmother was from the US but of German stock. That side of the family is all German.

The other side is a bit of a mystery...English, Irish, Scottish have all been mentioned. They lived in an area that was first settled in American in a quite unique area of the county. Since they were so remote they all had a distinct accent that I have never heard anywhere else. Lots of redheads.

I was/am more attached to the concept that one side were farmers and the other fishermen and sailors. It was an interesting contrast between the two sides. I didn't have to go far back in the family tree to find unique traits.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

My mom's side of the family is from Portugal (a long time ago) and my dad's side of the family is from Spain (a long time ago). I know some Spanish, it's a cool language. I don't know any Portuguese. My mom said I got my cute butt from her side of the family.
"Imagination, life is your creation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ambrosia: That's How Much I Feel vorlon13 6 1678 July 4, 2017 at 9:41 am
Last Post: vorlon13