Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will quantum computers slow our Internet down?
Will quantum computers slow our Internet down?
One of the few things quantum computers are better than normal computers on is breaking RSA-based encryption (large prime numbers). While there are some encryptions that are not vulnerable to quantum computers (such as the vector-lattice-based encryptions)... can those encryption algorithms be implemented efficiently? I see no reason to think classical computers will become significantly faster in the future, and while RSA-based encryption can be implemented efficiently on classical computers, I don't know if the vector-lattice-based encryption can be. Will quantum computers return us back to time when Internet was unencrypted because the encryption was too slow to be useful for most websites?
RE: Will quantum computers slow our Internet down?
[Image: depositphotos_193402592-stock-photo-magi...-maybe.jpg]
Not just slow it down - quantum computing will destroy the internet. Once quantum computers reach a certain critical mass, they will create a black hole. Spooky action at a distance will cause this singularity to spread instantly to every internet-enabled device on the planet, and the internet will disappear over the event horizon, never to be seen again.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My only understanding of quantum computers is from the very fictional mini series Devs so... I think that quantum computers will predict the future with 100% accuracy??
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Sure will, and it's going to be bad.  Roll the tape!

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Most likely outcome is that coders will make more efficient algorithms and hardware will continue to improve (though not at the More's law pace) and by the time quantum computers are actually ready for roll-out, it won't be the doomsday scenario so many people seem to see.

M$, Dell, the entire banking industry, and way too many others to list here have billions, if not trillions tied up in internet business. They will not allow quantum computing to impact their bottom line.

@FlatAssembler, please do not try to get work with any company involved in internet security. The damage you would do could be incalculable.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation? FlatAssembler 7 274 January 27, 2024 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 997 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Quantum v. Classical computing. Jehanne 12 1265 May 21, 2022 at 6:58 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ermagerd not Internet Explorer! Rhizomorph13 18 1458 April 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1897 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why are our mini-computers called smartphones? Alexmahone 57 4535 September 1, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Microsoft to dump it's computers into the sea. Succubus 26 3709 June 8, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2601 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is Firefox quantum really better than Google Chrome? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 3130 November 19, 2017 at 2:31 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Windows 10 Running Slow A Theist 30 8084 June 2, 2017 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Joods