Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work.
A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work.
So here's my own version of the Ontological Argument, borrowed indeed from St. Anselm, and Alvin Plantinga, who's been dubbed "St. Al", at least partly for his work on this subject, though more broadly for his general philosophical expertise; and also, slightly moving beyond them. Time will tell if the argument succeeds. Now, without further ado, here it is.

1. God is Conceived as the One Necessarily Existent Being.
2. Now, if a Being can be conceived as existing necessarily, it possibly exists. (since conceivability entails possibility).
3. Next, if a Necessary Being possibly exists, it exists in every possible world. (by nature of Necessary Existence).
4. Then, if a Necessary Being exists in every possible world, it exists in the actual world. (since the actual world is one of many possible worlds).
5. Therefore, God exists in the actual world. Or, more simply, Therefore, God exists.

Of course Atheists are going to object, lol. But I think the argument is sound, even though I once thought Ontological Arguments don't make the cut.

The reason the argument seems to work imo is because of the special Nature of God as a Necessarily Existent Being. 

Because God is a Necessarily Existent Being, His Existence cannot be merely possible without being actual, or actual without being necessary. 

His Existence is either necessary or it is impossible. In other words, no such Being as God could ever be conceived as possible if He didn't exist.

Now anyway, since most Atheists are not going to agree with that, go ahead and tell me which Step in the above you disagree with and why.

God Bless, and may God guide us all to Heaven in His own Good Time. In Jesus' Name.
RE: A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work.
First, prove god exists. Seems an impossible task for every theist I encounter.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
godiboi is make believe. Complete and absolute rubbish.
Fail at step 2. Conceivability implies nothing about possibility.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Why should there be only one ‘necessarily existent being’? Why not two of them? Why not a zillion?

Even more difficult for the argument: why would ANY being necessarily exist? For all we know, the existence of every being is contingent on the existence of every other being.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 8, 2024 at 9:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Why should there be only one ‘necessarily existent being’? Why not two of them? Why not a zillion?

Boru

One, because it is the first number. Numerology, bruh, you dig it?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 8, 2024 at 9:45 pm)Foxaèr Wrote:
(January 8, 2024 at 9:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Why should there be only one ‘necessarily existent being’? Why not two of them? Why not a zillion?

Boru

One, because it is the first number. Numerology, bruh, you dig it?

13. Checkmate.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I thought jebus didn't care for false witnesses?
(January 8, 2024 at 9:38 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Fail at step 2.  Conceivability implies nothing about possibility.

How so? Conceivability implies something exists in some possible world. In other words, it is possible.

A square circle is not possible. It exists in no possible world. It is not conceivable either.

Conceivability and possibility are basically synonymous terms imo. If it is conceivable, it is possible.

Even more difficult for the argument: why would ANY being necessarily exist? For all we know, the existence of every being is contingent on the existence of every other being.

Boru

Well, for one thing, Ockham's Razor would seem to "shave off" the necessity of postulating more than one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3401 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5218 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Trying to Apply the Ontological Argument in Real Life YahwehIsTheWay 21 4793 April 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Lek
Video The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work Mental Outlaw 1346 249078 July 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  how to cope in the work world? Rextos 12 2557 December 14, 2015 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  The good work of ISIS Mudhammam 17 3848 August 12, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.) topher 187 30576 April 20, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  why creationism doesn't work. dyresand 4 1675 November 17, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  hate the work world Jextin 7 3575 September 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie