Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More thought leads to less certainty...?
More thought leads to less certainty...?
Fellow forum members,

I hope that I have not offended any of you by posting my inaugural thread in this subforum. This will be an extremely long winded post; I apologize. I shall try in earnest to tread within the boundaries imposed upon writing which aspires to clarity and brevity. My pronouns will be in the masculine form due to the flaws of the past and my own laziness, not misogynism.

My hypothesis is that the more thoughtful and open minded among us find more faults within our own belief systems. That is: an open minded and thoughtful religious person doubts his own faith more than a hell-fearing zealot and an open minded and thoughtful atheist doubts his own lack of faith more than a pseudoscientific hack who is angry at his overbearing parents.

Preliminaries:

The First: I am not a religious person. If you do not take me at my word this post will come across as the brainchild of a "sheep in wolf's clothing" with the intent to convert the heretic masses. This is not my goal. For obvious reasons, the majority of this post will consist of an attack on atheism. After all, what good is accomplished by advancing a hypothesis to a group which is likely, if not guaranteed, to agree with it?

The Second: I was raised in neither an overly religious nor an overly irreligious household. My mother deeply distrusts the clergy (attributable to her Catholic upbringing and an incident that, thankfully, did not involve her). My father is a practicing Protestant.

The best friend I have in the city which I call home is an ex-Jehova's Witness... needless to say he isn't exactly enthralled with religion. On the other hand, my father has never once thumped a Bible in someone's face, yet he gives more time than required by most "guilt cleansers" every week to help those in need, and this is not in some vain attempt to escape hellfire. Currently this involves spending time (biking, coffee shops, etc.) with an advanced Alzheimer's sufferer whose only real remaining friend is out of the state for several months.

The Third: I believe that, just as in politics, the debate between theism and atheism is burdened by the fact that a person on a certain side of the fence will be supplied with information mostly consisting of the follies of the opposition. Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh talk about liberals; Ed Schultz and Rachel Maddow talk about conservatives. This forum has more posts in the Religion forum than in the Atheism forum. I contend that modern rhetoric has taken this format due to the fact that every position available to us is built upon dubitable foundations.

I would even go so far as to suggest that the a/theist debate has been usurped and absorbed by political debate and that it has become a crude mockery of legitimate philosophical discussion (after all, politicians aren't interested in convincing the 145+ IQ portion of the population... simple and inflammatory arguments will do).

Forumlation and implications of the hypothesis (along with some anecdotal evidence):

Faith and the lack thereof alike are based upon belief. Science is unable to state anything conclusive in support of either. In anticipation of rebuttals concerning the 6,000 year old earth theory or Noah's ark: The literal, fundamentalist interpretation of these facets of theism which is commonly lambasted is but one of many interpretations. Jewish and Christian mysticism are aesthetically more similar to Buddhism and Hinduism than to fundamentalist Judaism or Christianity.

A universe based upon Sacred Geometry which begins with a single point and expands into a pattern of circles actually has a lot in common with modern physics... i.e. a singularity expands into a physical space in which every phenomenon must be explained in terms of a phase angle (the energy levels of quanta and hence the likelihood of quantum events occurring is based upon the rate at which an abstract vector processes around in a circle). I am not trying to convince you of the reality of Sacred Geometry or mysticism of any form... but rather attempting to show that a limited view of theism leads to a limited (and insufficient) argument against it. Likewise, the confluence of the Abrahamic religions and the more ancient, polytheistic religions can be interpreted as a strength as easily as it can a weakness. I won't digress at present.

Another point of contention is that many atheists shy away from religion due to skepticism but fail to take skepticism all the way. Skepticism is a difficult beast to tame. To be skeptical of a god or gods is reasonable. To follow this skepticism only to the point of doubting a god or gods is not. For more info do some research on Cartesian Doubt/Solipsism, that is, the place that skepticism will take you if you follow it to the bitter end (and no, I do not endorse Descartes' argument that God must be the only escape from the Doubt).

The following point is purely subjective. I notice both a major similarity and a major difference between what I would call zealous theists and zealous atheists. The similarity is obviously that both groups are extremely condescending towards one another. Whereas a fundamental Christian may shake his head at an atheist due to his "knowledge" that the atheist is an impious fool on the fast track to hell, a conceited atheist would look at a Christian or Jew and snicker with his friends while making comments about "stupid sheep" based on his "knowledge".

The major difference is that zealous theists appear to be naive while the zealous atheists seem immature. For example, many fundamentalist Christians have never even questioned their beliefs. It also seems much more likely to stumble upon a group of atheists discussing how (insert attack on intelligence here) all people of faith must be, despite the fact that throughout history many good folks of faith with much higher intelligence than said atheists have existed.

With such thoughts in mind I have come to the conclusion that the more a person honestly ponders something the less certain of his own position he becomes. Only by remaining in an echo chamber with like-minded individuals does one's position become effectively cemented.

I could go on, but I'd like to see some replies first... perhaps we can get this thing focused. And, again, I am not a person of faith... I simply choose to apply my skepticism to everything. Being limited to a subjective viewpoint can, at times, be a real bitch.

TL;DR - Don't reply.

Edit: The post with the "Can't nobody do me like Jesus" video seems to support my immaturity hypothesis.
RE: More thought leads to less certainty...?
Actually, more thought leads to people like me. Completely certain about everything, yet completely entertained by those that haven't thought all that much. After all: stupid is funny when it doesn't put oneself in danger Heart

FYI: I despise all Solipsists, Desecrate included. And may they rot in their nonintersubjective little world.

Oh, and Daykart (as a real fucking language would spell it! Angry) was french: i have even less love for him than most Solipsists. Less than none did I say? Inaccurate, but let's be colloquial for a moment and simply say that I hate the man and everything about him. Especially his hair, he could *NEVER* get it right, and was always messing with it, JUST LEAVE THE FUCKING HAIR ALONE ALREADY!. I told him, I said to him, "Rehnay," I says to him, "you're never gonna make that money back mate." And did he listen? Well what do you think? Have you read his nonsense? He didn't even mention his real reasons for being a Christian (Ffs, he admited that logic was necessarily circular, but completely misattributed faith's role in it).

TL: DR? - May that man rot in his grave and never walk back out of it.
And you can't have a nonsubjective viewpoint... so I'm afraid you're stuck being logically possible Tiger
And I swear this has nothing to do with the fact that he wouldn't even have sex with me. Some nonsense about chastity. IF YOU DON'T LIKE BRUNETTES: JUST SAY SO.

Why the facade I'll never know now (since he is dead, and he was rude, so I am in no hurry to find out).
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 16, 2011 at 4:02 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Actually, more thought leads to people like me. Completely certain about everything, yet completely entertained by those that haven't thought all that much. After all: stupid is funny when it doesn't put oneself in danger Heart

FYI: I despise all Solipsists, Desecrate included. And may they rot in their nonintersubjective little world.

Well I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "people like [you]". If you're completely certain about everything you may want to either brush up on good ol' Socrates and take his word for it, or... just think a bit more. It also seems unbefitting of such an enlightened one to harbor so much hatred. Good luck with that (honestly no sarcasm).
People like me are also known as 'insane', 'crazy', 'cracked', 'over the wall', 'ticklish', 'batty', 'wacky', 'warped', 'perverse', 'demented', 'delirious', 'psychotic', 'nuts', 'nonsensical', 'chaotic as they come'.

Understand that certainty is knowledge is belief is having faith in the truth of. If you believe it, you are certain of it. I believe that there is an everything: I am certain of it.

Socrates was only half right. It turns out that knowledge does not necessitate correctness of that knowledge... therefore his was only a 'halfway' argument. It is ultimately lacking, a sort of compromise that falters where it should have sprung forth into interesting philosophical content.

I am enlightened of only my delirium, but so expansive is that delirium that it is everything to me Smile Solipsism is also a halfway argument... and also falters where it should have gotten it's collective heads together and accomplished interesting philosophical content Smile
le sigh. If you insist on cheating in the language game in order to label arguments as "halfway" then I guess I'm done. Semantics battles over concepts which should be quite clear are no fun. G'night.
It is only slightly my fault that many "philosophers" beat around the bush with definitions that are not logically tenable Smile

You also cannot 'cheat' with language (which is not a game as I see it, but a hobby). Semantics are a vital step in the scaffolding process between two philosophers (which is not a battle, but a reconciliation and clarification of the thing being stated).

And just to be clear, I don't necessarily disagree with the truth of your hypothesis, infact my responses here have been directed solely at the mention of my least favorite solipsist. Had my eyes not skimmed across that french name I wouldn't have said anything at all. Tongue
One last post then. Right: one cannot "cheat" at the language game... one can pretty easily intentionally misinterpret something as a lead in to a quick dismissal of a thesis. Knowledge and correct knowledge are inextricably linked when dealing with things in the ontological/metaphysical realm... affirming the validity of Socrates in this context.

Solipsism is impossible to prove/disprove as well. Pretty good territory to lose one's mind in, actually.

If you have links to any papers stating the contrary, I'd like to read em.

Oh... and I believe that the second sentence of your first reply was just about the most direct form of disagreement possible. Then again, you seem to be at least fictitiously insane.
Quote:With such thoughts in mind I have come to the conclusion that the more a person honestly ponders something the less certain of his own position he becomes. Only by remaining in an echo chamber with like-minded individuals does one's position become effectively cemented
I feel the exact opposite has happened in my particular case. Before I came here and interacted with multiple types of theists and atheists, I was less sure of what I believed and by extension, less clear and confident in my beliefs. Debating, seeing a different perspective, and being challenged by an opposing viewpoint, hasn't really solidified my beliefs, as a reaction, but helped to more clearly define my belief. That, when internalized, leads to a clearer understanding of why I believe what I believe, and the merits/weaknesses of differing viewpoints.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2349 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2876 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are introverts less likely to like organised religion? Der/die AtheistIn 8 1340 March 22, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  A Thought Experiment for Believers and Atheists Alike chimp3 39 8651 October 11, 2017 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16338 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Lust, sex, random thought PETE_ROSE 295 30405 August 23, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Study: religious children are less generous and more judgmental Aroura 17 4510 November 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Last Post: GoHalos1993
  The less you attend church the more likly you are willing to support douch baggery Drich 108 28164 December 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  The more you attend Church, the more likely you are so support Torture. CapnAwesome 111 15799 December 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A passing thought A_Nony_Mouse 1 1085 April 10, 2013 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Zen Badger