Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secular Humanist
Secular Humanist
Facts -
Late 20s. Married. Kid on the way. I live in California.

This sums up a lot of the way i think. Ill elaborate more though comments just wanted to get a baseline introduction out.

World View

Secular Humanist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

Political Views - Social liberalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_liberalism

Favorite Quotation An atheist before Darwin could have said, following Hume: "I have no explanation for complex biological design. All I know is that God isn't a good explanation, so we must wait and hope that somebody comes up with a better one." I can't help feeling that such a position, though logically sound, would have left one feeling pretty unsatisfied, and that although atheism might have been logically tenable before Darwin, Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist.
-- Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker (1986), page 6
RE: Secular Humanist
Welcome to the forum. I hold identical views on social liberalism and secularism. As I think many on here do too.
Welcome
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Thanks for welcoming me. I like to think i reached these views because they are the most reasonable. I am very open minded and interested in other political views as long as they are compatible with Humanism.
Welcome to the forums, feel free to post or lurk till your hearts content.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Hi
welcome
[Image: Evolution.png]

Holding a belief not because it is reasonable, but because it is the most reasonable? Where have I seen that before? Oh... that's right...

WoW... how much I forever shall despise what blizzard did to you Angry

Hi new guy... I'm against humanism in all forms. It is incredibly speciesist sounding Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 4, 2011 at 5:39 am)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Holding a belief not because it is reasonable, but because it is the most reasonable? Where have I seen that before? Oh... that's right...

WoW... how much I forever shall despise what blizzard did to you Angry

Hi new guy... I'm against humanism in all forms. It is incredibly speciesist sounding Tongue

Well the name of it i too dislike as it does seem to alienate other species. My main motivation for choosing it is the message that it stands for. The two below are the easiest to convey though i agree with most other Humanist writings.

I strongly agree with the council for secular humanism.

Need to test beliefs
Reason, evidence, scientific method
Fulfillment, growth, creativity
Search for truth
This life
Ethics
Building a better world

and the International Humanist and Ethical union

Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality.
Eric209 Wrote:I strongly agree with the council for secular humanism.

What is that? 0.o

Quote:Need to test beliefs

Why the requirement and for what goal?

Quote:Reason, evidence, scientific method

What of them?

Quote:Fulfillment, growth, creativity

Of whom and to what end?

Quote:Search for truth

Why the bother?

Quote:This life

Which constitutes 'this'?

Quote:Ethics

Along what lines?

Quote:Building a better world

Who's understanding of better and for whom?

Quote:and the International Humanist and Ethical union

Who are they and why do you strongly agree with them?

Quote:Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities.

Democracy is the tyranny of the masses. 'Ethical life stance' is meaningless until the underlined morality is defined. 'Rights' are illusory. Asserting an existentialistic viewpoint as a 'fact' is self defeating.

What is a humane society and what are these 'natural values' and what is this mystical 'spirit of reason' and what is this 'free inquiry' which 'human capabilities' provide?

Quote:It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality.

It sure could have fooled me Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Damn you must smoke a lot of weed Aerzia :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Fellow Secular Citizens Joko 12 3788 July 7, 2015 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Introduction with Secular Atheist Secular Atheist 18 3366 October 1, 2014 at 6:01 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Jewish Humanist Dena 31 7433 June 12, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: bladevalant546
  European Secular Society ConorKelly 0 778 November 17, 2011 at 11:26 am
Last Post: ConorKelly
  Greetings from secular Frogland EspressoFrog 24 4636 August 27, 2011 at 10:56 am
Last Post: EspressoFrog
  Hello. Secular taoist, here Aroura 14 5277 May 8, 2011 at 4:09 am
Last Post: theVOID
  Greetings from VP of a secular club at UCLA! Autumnlicious 11 3162 November 17, 2009 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: fr0d0