Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Kills More, Religion or Atheism?
Who Kills More, Religion or Atheism?
Found a interesting article, some of the information presented in the article is wrong (Hitler being atheist). Who do you think kills more?

My opinion - Religion.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
RE: Who Kills More, Religion or Atheism?
If all the scholarship in the article is of that nature I think you can safely drop it down a toilet.

Quote:“Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”

( Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Ralph Mannheim, ed., New York: Mariner Books, 1999, p. 65. )

That would make him one shitty atheist!
(June 24, 2011 at 10:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If all the scholarship in the article is of that nature I think you can safely drop it down a toilet.

Quote:“Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”

( Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Ralph Mannheim, ed., New York: Mariner Books, 1999, p. 65. )

That would make him one shitty atheist!

Lol i was chatting on facebook and forgot to put the link down. My bad? http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4076

But since im still chatting ill wait to make a big response to it.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
Use this when you do.

[Image: 4108.jpg]
The Article Wrote:Religion does not cause you to kill people, and it certainly doesn't prevent you from killing people. Let's stop pretending that it does either.

It doesn't cause you to kill people? hmm, what about all those commands in the Bible and Koran ordering the religious to kill people?

Wow, must have read those books wrong, several times. Weird.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Crusades, Witch hunts, Islamic Jihads, Buddist Burma, Aztec Sacrifices, ETC, all commited in the name of religion.
Quote:"I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them."
— Philip Pullman
Apologists for such will argue that "people are the cause", "someone hijacked it", etc,.

They often like to neglect the fact that they use religion to manipulate others towards favored and popular political causes, as if bastardizing it by any other name would be just as nice.
There is the argument that has been nagging me, about regimes like Mao's and Stalin's, that got rid of religion, and that opened a vacuum that was filled with a new religion, with the Dear Leader as its focus, that ended up in way more damage than what religion usually does.

In that way, religions like christianity can be seen as a shield to protect the masses from even more dangerous religions. But to be fair, if that's the goal, they are doing a shitty job at it.

I wonder if those "state religions" can be considered religions...
Atheists have killed lots of people, but I have yet to hear of anyone killing in the name of atheism. Religion cannot make the same claim.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Mmm...Many, many priests were killed by Stalinists and Maoists, in the name of atheism, in the name of getting rid of religion, in the specter of communism...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4965 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11398 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4242 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24778 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5973 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8576 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27123 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion kills rado84 28 3345 August 16, 2016 at 3:07 am
Last Post: rado84
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 42598 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3255 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman