Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:36 pm

Poll: One World Government: Good thing or Bad thing?
This poll is closed.
Overall a good thing, given the right execution
28.57%
6 28.57%
A bad thing no matter how it is executed
71.43%
15 71.43%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One World Government?
One World Government?
Just wondering what you all think of the prospect of a One World Government being set up in the near future. You think it's a good thing, or do you see it as a bad thing?

Also this comes with a poll. ^^^
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -Carl Sagan
RE: One World Government?
Absolutely not... democracy must die here and now. In space it will be crushed utterly. Not to mention it is evil.

But a government which I formulate after crushing you all... that I could deal with Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Sae wants to be a mad scientist when she grows up.
(June 27, 2011 at 2:33 am)Minimalist Wrote: Sae wants to be a mad scientist when she grows up.

Well,she's half way there.Angel

---------------------------------------------------------

The poll? Nah, won't bother.

If I want to take part in some idiotic,misleading poll, I'll pick up a tabloid paper or a copy of 'Oprah' Tongue
(June 27, 2011 at 3:08 am)padraic Wrote:
(June 27, 2011 at 2:33 am)Minimalist Wrote: Sae wants to be a mad scientist when she grows up.

Yeah, but which half? Tongue

One world government is a bad idea no matter how you cut it. Take the American legislature and their bi-partisan politics that raise conflict on both sides of one aisle and compound it to include more aisles exponentially as they transect the world. Not that the UN isn't already set as a model in making such a model come to fruition. And then there would necessitate a one world security force, so as to insure compliance to the laws enacted by the world authority.

Of course some say it is coming, which is why the European Union was formed so as to test the model and unite a small region, including the advent of the Euro as a one world governance would necessitate a singular currency. And that model is said to come to the west so as to encompass the north and south American trade blocks, in the form of the north and south American union's respectively. And that currency being the Amero.

The interesting projection added to all the other is, what will the citizens of those regions say about the advent of a world government? And what would the political philosophy be within the jurisdiction of such an authority? In matters of human rights, equal rights, life, liberty and the pursuits of happiness and property. And with regard to dissent what avenues would be available for a redress of grievances? And what chance would there be of independence? Besides, not much?

It's not outside the realm of possibility, a world government. I think I could stand to live through that bit of history in the writing, if for nothing else to learn to appreciate what I'd for too long taken for granted prior to.

"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
(June 27, 2011 at 3:36 am)Judas BentHer Wrote:

Yeah, but which half? Tongue

Mad Scientist

I really don't think that's in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlq20E3SOVQ

Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 27, 2011 at 3:36 am)Judas BentHer Wrote: Of course some say it is coming, which is why the European Union was formed so as to test the model and unite a small region, including the advent of the Euro as a one world governance would necessitate a singular currency. And that model is said to come to the west so as to encompass the north and south American trade blocks, in the form of the north and south American union's respectively. And that currency being the Amero.

There is no Amero. The currency is conspiracy theory, and the Colombian city was destroyed by a volcano. The only currency union, as such, being floated in the Americas is by Hugo Chavez and Raul Castro. That ought to work well.

The USA's external debt is so high no nation would ever go into a currency union with us; it would be economic suicide.

One of many well-written articles on the source of the conspiracy theory, buried under all the well-researched and entirely believable blogs on such things as atheists outlawing Christianity and Sarah Palin's inside knowledge of suppressed American history is from the Boston Globe: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/...onspiracy/

Of course, the believer in such a currency conspiracy would simply say that such articles as the Boston Globe's are proof of the conspiracy, as the conspirators would want to suppress knowledge of their cabal. But said-same conspiracy theorists have this knowledge nonetheless.

I find it humourous that while it is primarily Christian Conservatives that tout this nonsense in the USA, in Canada it is primarily liberals. They believe just as strongly that the NAU/amero conspiracy is designed to exploit Canada's businesses and resources, and privatise and dismantle their public health care system.

A conspiracy for everyone, that's the amero.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
It's already hard to govern a group of 20 persons, so I can't imagine how hard it would be to make decisions for the whole world and in the process make everyone (somewhat) happy. The further away the politicans are from their people, the less like are they to be good represenatatives for them. Interesting thought, though Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I await for this day... it is eventually inevitable

She is fully there on the mad part. The scientist part might be a bridge too far. Angel

I think some form of single government with strong de facto authority over the bulk of human society is highly probable, and necessary, if modern society were make the sort of long term commitment needed to marshal the resources needed to counteract the effects climate change, bring much of the world up to 1st world level of industrial and infrastructural development, and use the productivity towards such epochal projects as terraforming the earth to sustain its compatibility with our global industrialization, and initiating extra-earth colonization in earnest - projects whose resource demands would be steep even for a world that is fully industrialized.

It could be that such a de fact government may have elsastic powers which expand or contract depending on the occasion. It may also be that such government exist in a division of power arrangement with national governments. But absence of such global government makes me think the human species will remain a collection of squabbling, mutually defeating collection of overgrown religious cultural tribes squandering efforts through local cynicism and efforts to undercut one another.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why superpower countries do not overthrow Islamic government of Iran? Anti.Enslave 18 335 April 23, 2024 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Founding fathers view of government Won2blv 38 2453 March 21, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  The greatest FU to the government this 4th of July Foxaèr 10 1263 June 15, 2020 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  A Good Time For A Government Shutdown TwoKnives99 18 2391 November 19, 2018 at 12:25 am
Last Post: tackattack
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1013 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Government workers that promote AA Bahana 16 2295 April 7, 2018 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why does it have to be government vs market? Aegon 15 3095 December 30, 2017 at 11:47 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Government By A Fragile Ego Minimalist 11 3001 August 23, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ukraine is one of the poorest countries in the world Interaktive 10 3146 July 18, 2017 at 5:20 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Ukraine is one of the poorest countries in the world Interaktive 6 1513 July 17, 2017 at 8:15 am
Last Post: brewer