Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Does God Exist? (Part 3 of whatever)
[split] Does God Exist? (Part 3 of whatever)
as opposed to using it in its proper place....ridding the world of witches, exercising demons, and condemning people for thought crimes?

that one was for Frodo, obviously.

And for you Statler, nice to meet you btw, I can take that onus and run with it, explain why any god you're likely to imagine cannot be real. That doesn't mean that the onus is actually on me though. This scrambling for the high ground is strange. Those that claim something exists must show that it does, that's the way it works. We don't get to change these rules because we've entered a conversation about a concept that we hold dear to our hearts. can you say the same? Can you formulate a sound argument for the existence of your god?

Could a theist be a freethinker, sure, why not, I'll be nice. Can a christian? A strong and emphatic no.

as an aside, notice that I'm not even asking for empirical proof, this is generous, I'm simply stating that to date, no credible argument for the existence of a deity has ever been proposed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: I Find It Offensive; How About You
Ah, crap, here comes the scripture ...
Trying to update my sig ...
lol, cmon, scripture isn't so bad, some of the psalms are quiet beautiful.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So is Paris Hilton, on the surface.
(June 28, 2011 at 7:45 pm)Rhythm Wrote:

It is very nice to meet you too. If you were an agnostic, I would totally agree with you, the onus would not be on you. However, as an atheist you have espoused a positive belief in the non-existence of God or gods. Therefore since we are both making positive claims, the onus is equally on both of us.

As for a credible argument that confirms God's existence, this is not really a "Does God exist" thread, so maybe that would be better suited for private messaging or a new thread, no?
Smile

There is no onus on the atheist to prove that god does not exist. The invisible pink unicorn works fine to explain this.
Sure we can start a thread if you like. I'm not sure how you wrenched a "belief" out of my statement. Was I unclear? address it in the new thread.
(June 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm)Epimethean Wrote: There is no onus on the atheist to prove that god does not exist. The invisible pink unicorn works fine to explain this.

Comparing atheism to the lack of belief in unicorns is absurd and I am sure you are well aware of this. Atheism is a philosophy, and gives birth to several worldviews. The onus is equally on both sides. Atheists do not like this fact because they know that it makes their position far more irrational than something like agnosticism.

Shirley, you are aware of the philosophical conundrum known as Russell's teapot.
(June 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Shirley, you are aware of the philosophical conundrum known as Russell's teapot.

Denying the existence of a celestial teapot is not analogous to denying the existence of an all powerful, all knowing, all present, eternal, personal God who makes even knowledge itself possible. I am sorry, it's an improper analogy and Russell should have known better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1031 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3100 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1978 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 2986 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5775 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3505 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25950 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Best part of atheism for you Alexmahone 43 6369 January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38808 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 18288 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda