Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ledge
The Ledge
Movie director Matthew Chapman is trying to, as he claims, present the Brokeback Mountain for atheism.

http://ledgemovie.com/how_to_help
Quote:This could be the Brokeback Mountain moment for atheists, our tipping point, when we finally get the attention we deserve. Although books have put atheists into the intellectual mainstream, The Ledge is the first Hollywood drama to target the broader movie-going public with an openly atheist hero in a production big enough to attract A-list stars (bios, trailer). This is unprecedented.

The trailer can be viewed here:

I haven't seen the movie yet but the trailer has me cringing. The hero sexually comes on to a woman who works under his authority. Ick. And she's a married woman to boot?

If you want to do a movie that features an atheist hero, that claims to be educational about what atheists go through in our society, how about taking inspiration from real life heroes? How about an atheist who's kicked out of his/her home because his/her parents find out he/she doesn't believe? How about an atheist who's harassed at work and threatened with death like one I personally know?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: The Ledge
Oh great, just what we need.
How about an atheistic super hero who kicks god in the balls?

That would get the attention of the American public.
(July 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How about an atheistic super hero who kicks god in the balls?

Well that would prove that god exists as he is kicking him in the balls. Thinking
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
But far from omnipotent!
The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons featured an atheist main character.
He was more of an uneasy atheist though, wasn't he, what with faith being a gift which he had not yet received. I think some of us are looking more of a borg type of atheist. Come in, indestructable machine, lasers and all that "resistance is futile". That sort of atheist. But with personality and sex appeal.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 12, 2011 at 9:57 pm)Rhythm Wrote: He was more of an uneasy atheist though, wasn't he, what with faith being a gift which he had not yet received. I think some of us are looking more of a borg type of atheist. Come in, indestructable machine, lasers and all that "resistance is futile". That sort of atheist. But with personality and sex appeal.

Oh, you mean that song and dance he did for the catholics so he could have continued access to their storage vaults? Hmm, maybe he had a vested interest in maintaining reverence in that situation. Smile
It sounded stupid enough when I heard the interview with the Writer on The Non Prophets, Watching the trailer it looks 10 times more stupid that I had originally imagined.
(July 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm)leo-rcc Wrote:
(July 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: How about an atheistic super hero who kicks god in the balls?

Well that would prove that god exists as he is kicking him in the balls. Thinking

And since God is identical to his attributes you'd also be kicking him in the omniscience.
(July 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm)theVOID Wrote: It sounded stupid enough when I heard the interview with the Writer on The Non Prophets, Watching the trailer it looks 10 times more stupid that I had originally imagined.

I agree with you, because the reviews have been very negative for this film. For example Rotten Tomatoes calculated a score of 9% out of 23 reviews, which by their standards is extremely rotten.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'The Ledge’ Takes Hesitant But Significant Steps Toward Acknowledging Atheism Judas BentHer 0 917 July 19, 2011 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Judas BentHer
  I watched "The Ledge" theVOID 8 1902 July 17, 2011 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Justtristo