Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible and slavery
The Bible and slavery
Did a forum search on this topic and didn't find much. Apologies for any overlap.

I'm interested to hear what folks think about what the Bible says about slavery. You will hear apologists defend the Bible by claiming that it does not condone forced slavery, just indentured servitude. Basically, people would become the property of another person if they were in debt or had other financial problems. Other believers will just claim that we should not make moral judgments about other societies that were vastly different from our own.

I tend to think it's yet another sign that the Bible is written as we should expect in an ancient society, and not by an all-knowing God who would have known that millions would suffer and/or die in the 18th and 19th centuries during the slave trade, and didn't think it important to condemn slavery outright in his special book to mankind.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
RE: The Bible and slavery
(July 14, 2011 at 9:44 pm)everythingafter Wrote: Other believers will just claim that we should not make moral judgments about other societies that were vastly different from our own.

I'll attempt that when the rules set by societies vastly different from my own stop being taken as the word of god.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
I am pretty sure that the Bible is literal on the writers' view of slavery. There is no evidence that they were not speaking of actual slavery. I have heard some say that slaves were treated better and that slavery was a different business back them. None of this is indicated. In fact, history tells us that slavery has always been as we view it now, forcing a person to work for you. The only reason why Christians warp the teachings of the Bible is because without doing so, they would either have to accept slavery or suffer some level of cognitive dissonance. You cannot believe the Bible is the word of god and not believe in slavery without fucking with your own head. Therefore, they lie to themselves.
Champions of self-delusion, Shel.

http://www.evilbible.com/Slavery.htm
The bible holds a great many positions on a great many things, sometimes contradictory positions. It is a very large book, compiled over thousands of years, sourced from different authors, many times from different cultures. If you want support for any position. Anything at all, good bad or indifferent, you can find it in the bible. It's just a matter of picking your translation/interpretation/exegesis.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The verse is very clear.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Today, slavery is a violation of human rights is accepted. Of course, Are christians after centuries of verses trying to fit the era
I don't remember where, but somewhere in the bible it states from what nations (once conquered) you were allowed to take slaves from. I'm pretty sure an army coming in to your country and taking you back to their country to be a slave isn't the definition of indentured servitude.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(July 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm)Koldaramor Wrote: The verse is very clear.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Today, slavery is a violation of human rights is accepted. Of course, Are christians after centuries of verses trying to fit the era

Hi K

If you remember that life as we normally define it concerns external life while the New Testament refers to our inner life the meaning becomes cler.

Jesus said "Let the dead bury their dead." This is nonsense in relation to external life but obvious wheni seen as refering to those dead on the inside.

It is the same with slavery. There is external salvery and internal slavery. When a person comes to experience that they are a slave inwardly and not master of themslelves, they seek freedom from this condition. This is different than freedom within society
...........who has that triple face palm link? Apply that nonsense you just asserted to Eph 6:5.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:This is nonsense in relation to external life but obvious wheni seen as refering to those dead on the inside.

Actually, it's pretty much nonsense any way you look at it...like most of the shit attributed to the phony god boy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44130 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35954 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
Video The Bible and Slavery - Kyle Butt IanHulett 12 3148 September 3, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why Do We Think Slavery is Evil? Rhondazvous 96 16640 July 3, 2015 at 3:24 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Slavery and eating animals Grasshopper 124 14726 February 7, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7450 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Why the Bible Doesn't Condemn Slavery Lek 73 18063 January 8, 2015 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Slavery (on Thursdays) ThePinsir 224 63269 March 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide. Ryantology 351 206416 November 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Darth
  Does the Bible promote slavery? nazra7 91 30341 July 27, 2012 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger